Similarities between SGU and Lost Please tag ALL spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similarities between SGU and Lost Please tag ALL spoilers

I apologize in advance if a thread has been created about this before.. I used the search function. And as the title says, keep all spoilers after Air part 3 in tags please.

Watching SGU concurrently to Lost (series on ABC), I'm surprised as to how similar the shows are structurally. The characters get quickly dumped into a rapidly decaying environment (one is literal, the other figurative), where most have little experience in this sort of thing. They have no idea who they can really trust, and people could likely die at any moment.

Something that's also similar are the flashbacks (at least as of Air pt 1). They'll take time out of the episode to relive the characters' pasts.

Camera shooting styles are very much the same if I remember right also.

FYI, this isn't another one of those Stargate Galatica, or Stargate Voyager threads. I'm actually loving these similarites.

Of course, there are also a lot of differences. But I see a lot of similarities.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by AVFan; 09 October 2009, 06:27 PM.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

and theres a smoke monster and others aboard destiny......

serously? all i have noticed in similarities is a few flashbacks

Comment

The flashbacks is the only simmilarity I noticed.
      sigpic

Comment

The flashbacks are almost identical to Lost's pilot yes, but it's just a technique that gets borrowed around, like how shows do the shaky cam, bullet time, skipping back from a dramatic moment and telling the story backwards, zooming into the organ during a procedure or injury like CSI, etc. - most shows do this and borrow from each other as film evolves. It doesn't make SGU a ripoff.

Comment

The new season of Lost has started already?? *runs to abc to check*

Hmm, well the only similarity that I've really noticed is the premise of the characters all being tossed into a situation (most) of them don't want to be in (Locke was all to happy to be on the Island, and Rush seems all to happy to be on the Destiny... I have a feeling I'm not going to like Rush just like I don't like Locke hahah), with no contact to the outside world (well, until I saw SGU and the LRC devices! ).

Comment

Originally posted by Joben View Post
            The flashbacks are almost identical to Lost's pilot yes, but it's just a technique that gets borrowed around, like how shows do the shaky cam, bullet time, skipping back from a dramatic moment and telling the story backwards, zooming into the organ during a procedure or injury like CSI, etc. - most shows do this and borrow from each other as film evolves. It doesn't make SGU a ripoff.
            Exactly. It makes SGU a lil' Frankenstein monster, just like every other sci-fi show out there. Ever.

It's a great Frankenstein, though.
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
              The characters get quickly dumped into a rapidly decaying environment (one is literal, the other figurative), where most have little experience in this sort of thing. They have no idea who they can really trust, and people could likely die at any moment.
              Yeah I hope this method of storytelling ends with the pilot as all these jumbacks kinda remove the tension. It goes from something tense to another mellow scene, back to the action...it's all over the place.

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
              : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                The new season of Lost has started already?? *runs to abc to check*
                lol, no it hasn't yet. I just started watching a little while ago, and I'm catching up to it. I'm at about midway through season 2.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

I apologize in advance if a thread has been created about this before.. I used the search function. And as the title says, keep all spoilers after Air part 2 in tags please.

Watching SGU concurrently to Lost (series on ABC), I'm surprised as to how similar the shows are structurally. The characters get quickly dumped into a rapidly decaying environment (one is literal, the other figurative), where most have little experience in this sort of thing. They have no idea who they can really trust, and people could likely die at any moment.

Something that's also similar are the flashbacks (at least as of Air pt 1). They'll take time out of the episode to relive the characters' pasts.

Camera shooting styles are very much the same if I remember right also.

FYI, this isn't another one of those Stargate Galatica, or Stargate Voyager threads. I'm actually loving these similarites.

Of course, there are also a lot of differences. But I see a lot of similarities.

Any thoughts?
                  I'll buy what you're selling. I never would have compared this show to Lost, but now that you point out the similarities, I guess I can see the parallels. Although, I doubt you'll see this show resemble Lost anymore than it currently does. It's definitely going to head in a different direction than Lost.

Comment

You are not alone, AVFan! I noted the same thing in the now overly long episode "opinion" thread. I'm also on the same page as Wolf, I immediately made the Locke/Rush connection since both of them seem happy to be stranded and have no one waiting for them back home. Right now I'm just wondering if this Lost-ish flashback exposition style is going to carry over into tonight's episode, or for the rest of the series. The two part pilot episode definitely reminded me of Lost (structurally, narratively, and thematically) more than any other show. - And I'm perfectly OK with that, since I hold Lost in high esteem, just wondering if the pacing in the pilot is a precursor for the entire show, or if the flashbacks will wind down as we get to know the characters. I’d be surprised if we’re still swimming in flashbacks by the end of SGU season one.
                    sigpic

Comment

lol, no it hasn't yet. I just started watching a little while ago, and I'm catching up to it. I'm at about midway through season 2.
                      Oh man, that means you still have so much awesomness coming to you.
                      Keep on watching and believe me, it's absolutely worth it!
                      I can't wait for the least season next year, the road so far was mind blowing.
                      In book form I would compare it to The Dark Tower series from Stephen King.

Sorry fors geeking up here, but whenever LOST is mentioned, I'm out of it.^^
                      But have to forget again... since waiting is a pain.... *gnnnah*....

Comment

Oh, good! I thought I was missing out! And last season was such a cliffhanger!! Just as Mr. Hook said, you have a lot of mind boggling awesomeness coming your way! It's a lot of episodes to get caught up, but it's without a doubt worth it!

Originally posted by Mr. Hook
                        just wondering if the pacing in the pilot is a precursor for the entire show, or if the flashbacks will wind down as we get to know the characters.
                        Yeah... I'm not sure if I wasn't really paying attention, or if the Hulu episode was different than the Syfy airing... but i watched Air Part One and Air Part Two again earlier tonight (it came on before the new episode), and it /was/ all over the place, and really pulled me out of the action. Maybe I was just so excited to be watching a Stargate anything, that I remember it being mostly in chronological order... and mostly awesome, but watching it again... one moment they are on the ship, then BAM we're back at the Icarus base... "ummm.. what? I don't remember watching it like that" was all i found myself thinking. Anyways! Part Three was much less flashback-y (for lack of a better term). Overall, I thought Part Three was a really good episode and a strong start for the series. You will get to find out more about some of the characters. Srgt Riley is back with more sarcasm aswell, not that any of us should be surprised .

Comment

EDIT: It was diMaggio that commented on LOST's awesomeness, though it could be argued Mr. Hook implied it so my first post wasn't technically naming the wrong source ;P.

Comment

I also get the feeling that Rush is like John Locke. They are both mysterious and you can't really figure out if they are good or evil.

Locke wants to keep everyone on the island. Rush wants to keep everyone on the ship.

Mathew Scott can be compared to Jack with his guilt ridden conscience and wanting to "fix" everything and daddy issues.

It's cool though, because Lost is awesome. I hope SGU is just as good if not better.

Comment

I guess Eli could also be compared to Hurley. Both are slackers.

In Lost, they use Hurley as a sort of character for the audience to relate to on a personal level. I think Eli is turning out to be very similar to this.

Jack and Scott both seeing dead daddys.

Mystical dust bunnies maybe taking form of dead people and the mystical smoke monster doing the same.

Even the countdown timer of the ship reminds me of the countdown timer in the hatch.

Greer and Saeed may turn out to be very similar, but it's to early to tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X