Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Atlantis Vs Destiny

Which is older? Atlantis or Destiny?
    because destiny clearly LOOKS older, but some of its tech is much more modern(it has been in hyperspace for 100,000s of years-that would drain a ZPM pretty fast its using better power sources) and it was conceived of at the same time as the gates (otherwise not all of them would have 9 cheverons, it would have been an afterthought years later) but Atlantis was been said to be millions of years old compared to the Destiny being only hundreds of thousands
    so which is older? The new looking Atlantis, or the broken down ol' Destiny?

Default Re: Atlantis Vs Destiny

The Destiny. Which hasn't been in Hyperspace, it's been in FTL. Which was stated in the first episode.

And, Rush said at least hundreds of thousands. But we know that they sent off the Destiny before they went to Atlantis, as it was the prime of their civilisation. Before they fled the Plague.

Therefor, we know the Destiny is older.

In a fight, Altantis would win though. Just to throw that randomly in there

Second Lieutenant

Atlantis hands down and I think TPTB should make a Sg timeline chart and post it so we can have a better understanding of whats going on, the way that it is doesn't make sense with Atlantis going to Pegasus millions of years ago and destiny being hundreds of thousands of years old.

Or maybe Atlantis bugded out before the plague hit, I don't know.

Second Lieutenant Control_Chair's Avatar

Destiny is older as it was launched from Earth during the height of the Ancients civilisation in the MW. Then some time (possibly thousands of years later) the plague struck and the Ancients left in Atlantis for Pegasus, why, because that galaxy had already been seeded with the primitive SGU gates and explored by the Destiny.

As for which would win in a fight I'd say Atlantis as it has more advanced tech (shields and weapons, drones would make mincemeat of the Destiny
    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
    "That he is concealing something."
    "Like what?"
    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
    "I liked that movie!"

the destiny is much older due to it being launched in the milky way and travelling to pegasus. Atlantis could have been built a few thousand years later making both ships of similar age but a few thousands years is alot of time so maybe that is why atlantis looks totally different. Also jsut a note but did anyone else notice that the destiny looks like the hull of an aurora? maybe that was the design of their ships when they used stones for their buildings.. i simply cant see a flying stone ship

Probie
    In a stasis chamber, in the bowels of Atlantis

You know... Atlantis used to be on earth, no one ever says how long it was there for. I personally think Destiny is older.. just a hunch. But it could be the other way around. Does anyone have any incontrovertible evidence of one or the other? Does anyone remember anyone saying anything that would give us the answer?

A few thousand years difference in time might not matter much technologically to the Ancients. If you have a technology that works well and there is no need to improve it, it doesn't improve. Why re-invent the wheel?... or the stargate for that matter...

I wonder if Destiny is the ship that the ancients originally used to flee to this galaxy from the Ori in. I believe in the Ark of Truth movie, you get a glimpse of the ship they take off in, if anyone has it on DVD and wouldn't mind checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailias View Post
    You know... Atlantis used to be on earth, no one ever says how long it was there for. I personally think Destiny is older.. just a hunch. But it could be the other way around. Does anyone have any incontrovertible evidence of one or the other? Does anyone remember anyone saying anything that would give us the answer?

A few thousand years difference in time might not matter much technologically to the Ancients. If you have a technology that works well and there is no need to improve it, it doesn't improve. Why re-invent the wheel?... or the stargate for that matter...

I wonder if Destiny is the ship that the ancients originally used to flee to this galaxy from the Ori in. I believe in the Ark of Truth movie, you get a glimpse of the ship they take off in, if anyone has it on DVD and wouldn't mind checking.
    Nope.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/stargate/images/5/59/Alteranship3.jpg

This doesn't really look like the Destiny. And in this case, Stargate Wiki is reliable.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Michael writes: “If Atlantis left for Pegasus “Several Million Years Ago” according to “Rising”, was Rush mistaken in his estimate that Destiny left Earth “Hundreds of Thousands” of years ago?”

Answer: He misspoke or was speaking sort of off-hand, assuming he wasn’t going to be called on it by a knowledgeable fan.

destiny is older then what was mentioned in the show - from joes blog
    Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blendhttp://i391.photobucket.com/albums/o...einvasion3.jpg
    Anime signature in spoiler tag
    Spoiler:
    Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it
    http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/o...lsigfinal3.jpg

I too think the Destiny is older. Because it looks older that's why i say it is lol and plus Rush did say something too.
    GOODBYE GATEWORLD. BEEN FUN TAKE CARE ALL!!

see but its the power that gets me-100,000s of years in ftl with a shield drains power-atlantis barely made the jump from Pegasus to earth without running out of juice. doesnt that make the destiny's power source better/more efficient and therefore newer?

Quote Originally Posted by corey2002 View Post
    see but its the power that gets me-100,000s of years in ftl with a shield drains power-atlantis barely made the jump from Pegasus to earth without running out of juice. doesnt that make the destiny's power source better/more efficient and therefore newer?
    FTL must use less power than Hyperdrive. Also, it makes periodic stops on it's journey, so perhaps it's able to recharge somehow.

Maybe FTL is more economic for short jumps with resting periods. Perhaps it's slower than Hyperdrive.

But over-all, Hyperdrive must be better for longer jumps without rests. Perhaps being faster than Hyperdrive, but less economic when it comes to power considerations.

Or, perhaps whatever powers the Destiny is made from a very rare substance that they've been unable to replicate/ find more of. They could have, due to some unknown anomaly, created a perfect energy supply, something perhaps like Project Arcturis, and then been unable to recreate the exact conditions again.

Quote Originally Posted by corey2002 View Post

not necessarily, if the speed of the destiny is slower than even a basic hyperdrive (some people have done the math on this) it could be using a lot less power.

Chief Master Sergeant

I think the Destiny looks more like an Aurora class warship, at least the exterior anyway.

Thor Re: Atlantis Vs Destiny

Quote Originally Posted by Alterran1. View Post
    I think the Destiny looks more like an Aurora class warship, at least the exterior anyway.
    yea ive noticed that too i have a theory that their ships have that overall design while the cities (atlantis was a city first ship second) looked like atlantis or maybe the architectural design is that of during the stone period in ancient history since u cant really make ships out of stones.

it is older that atlantis it was biult before the use of the ata jean

Probie
    In a stasis chamber, in the bowels of Atlantis

That doesn't really mean anything. Atlantis was more or less stationary. Destiny was out of reach. Atlantis could have been updated with the ATA gene requirement as the technology developed. Really, there was no need for Atlantis to have an ATA gene requirement before the wraith and other threats appeared.

Also i was thinking about it.... I think Destiny may be much faster than a regular hyperdrive. For this reason. A stargate can typically dial to any other Stargate in the galaxy (in the same gate network) without much trouble. Why is it, when they needed something... calcium carbonate, the ship had to fly them to a certain place before dropping out of FTL and allowing for gate usage. Why not just immediately drop from FTL and dial that planet when Rush informed the computer of the problem? I mean Stargates have a pretty long range.

I mean maybe the ship couldn't drop out of FTL until a certain point, and once it did stop it could only stay stopped for 12 hours. But apparently at worst just killing the power, will stop the ship so.... Any theories?

And i suppose if you were intent on sending a ship out further than anything had ever been before... Why wouldn't you equip it with the fastest drive imaginable?

ata gene

Spoiler:
    In ep 4 (darkness) rush said destiny was traveling for like a million years
    Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blendhttp://i391.photobucket.com/albums/o...einvasion3.jpg
    Spoiler:
    Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Quote Originally Posted by Kailias View Post
    That doesn't really mean anything. Atlantis was more or less stationary. Destiny was out of reach. Atlantis could have been updated with the ATA gene requirement as the technology developed. Really, there was no need for Atlantis to have an ATA gene requirement before the wraith and other threats appeared.

Also i was thinking about it.... I think Destiny may be much faster than a regular hyperdrive. For this reason. A stargate can typically dial to any other Stargate in the galaxy (in the same gate network) without much trouble. Why is it, when they needed something... calcium carbonate, the ship had to fly them to a certain place before dropping out of FTL and allowing for gate usage. Why not just immediately drop from FTL and dial that planet when Rush informed the computer of the problem? I mean Stargates have a pretty long range.

I mean maybe the ship couldn't drop out of FTL until a certain point, and once it did stop it could only stay stopped for 12 hours. But apparently at worst just killing the power, will stop the ship so.... Any theories?

And i suppose if you were intent on sending a ship out further than anything had ever been before... Why wouldn't you equip it with the fastest drive imaginable?
    I agree with the bolded part. On Earth there was no need for the ATA gene but in Pegasus there was the wraith, a threat to Atlantis and the ancients. So by updating Atlantis with the ATA gene, if the wraith ever got onto Atlantis or tried to use anything ancient, the wraith wouldn't be able to operate it. Whereas on Destiny it was never updated with the ATA gene because there was no need for it. Having the ATA gene doesn't prove anything.

--------

In my opinion, I think Atlantis is older because the hyperdrive in the Destiny is much more hightech than Atlantis. Plus Destiny's power source is better. I mean Atlantis' ZPM was pratically drained by the time the expedition got there whereas the Destiny still had power when Rush and his team got there. Why would the ancients build a ship with a powerful hyperdrive and power source and then build Atlantis with lesser tech? That doesn't really make sense.

And what about the Stargate differences? The Earth gate is obviously the first gate because that's where the ancients originated. The Atlantis gate is similar to the Earth gate besides the fact that it's blue and has star consellations on it. Then the Destiny gate completely spins while dialing, and uses a handheld device to dial.

So, if Destiny was built before Atlantis than why isn't the Atlantis gate like the Destiny gate? Technology goes forward not backwards. Why would the ancients build a gate like the Destiny gate and then go backwards in technology and build the Atlantis gate similar to the Earth gate. A gate that needs a DHD to dial (without it they can't dial), whereas the Destiny gate uses a handheld device to dial.

Now to me that makes no sense, so right there that must mean that Atlantis came first then they built the Destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by SGAFirenity View Post

So, if Destiny was built before Atlantis than why isn't the Atlantis gate like the Destiny gate? Technology goes forward not backwards. Why would the ancients build a gate like the Destiny gate and then go backwards in technology and build the Atlantis gate similar to the Earth gate. A gate that needs a DHD to dial (without it they can't dial), whereas the Destiny gate uses a handheld device to dial.

Now to me that makes no sense, so right there that must mean that Atlantis came first then they built the Destiny.
    you got it all wrong no offense...but Atlantis's gate is far superior to earths and destinies gates. Destiny's gate is the oldest and junked model. The fact that it spins and has horrible range is evidence of that. And the producers said SGU's gates are the oldest and least advanced. Also you don't need the DHD to dial as in Atlantis's gates they have puddle jumpers that are capable of dialing the gate...

also when you said the hyperdrive is more advanced on deastiny...not even close...ftl is only better in terms of energy...atlantis has a fully functional hyperdrive and a wormhole drive.
    Spoiler: