No announcement yet.

Atlantis Vs Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That doesn't really mean anything. Atlantis was more or less stationary. Destiny was out of reach. Atlantis could have been updated with the ATA gene requirement as the technology developed. Really, there was no need for Atlantis to have an ATA gene requirement before the wraith and other threats appeared.

Also i was thinking about it.... I think Destiny may be much faster than a regular hyperdrive. For this reason. A stargate can typically dial to any other Stargate in the galaxy (in the same gate network) without much trouble. Why is it, when they needed something... calcium carbonate, the ship had to fly them to a certain place before dropping out of FTL and allowing for gate usage. Why not just immediately drop from FTL and dial that planet when Rush informed the computer of the problem? I mean Stargates have a pretty long range.

I mean maybe the ship couldn't drop out of FTL until a certain point, and once it did stop it could only stay stopped for 12 hours. But apparently at worst just killing the power, will stop the ship so.... Any theories?

And i suppose if you were intent on sending a ship out further than anything had ever been before... Why wouldn't you equip it with the fastest drive imaginable?

Comment

ata gene
      sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
        In ep 4 (darkness) rush said destiny was traveling for like a million years
        Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
        Anime signature in spoiler tag
        Spoiler:
        Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by Kailias View Post
          That doesn't really mean anything. Atlantis was more or less stationary. Destiny was out of reach. Atlantis could have been updated with the ATA gene requirement as the technology developed. Really, there was no need for Atlantis to have an ATA gene requirement before the wraith and other threats appeared.

Also i was thinking about it.... I think Destiny may be much faster than a regular hyperdrive. For this reason. A stargate can typically dial to any other Stargate in the galaxy (in the same gate network) without much trouble. Why is it, when they needed something... calcium carbonate, the ship had to fly them to a certain place before dropping out of FTL and allowing for gate usage. Why not just immediately drop from FTL and dial that planet when Rush informed the computer of the problem? I mean Stargates have a pretty long range.

I mean maybe the ship couldn't drop out of FTL until a certain point, and once it did stop it could only stay stopped for 12 hours. But apparently at worst just killing the power, will stop the ship so.... Any theories?

And i suppose if you were intent on sending a ship out further than anything had ever been before... Why wouldn't you equip it with the fastest drive imaginable?
          I agree with the bolded part. On Earth there was no need for the ATA gene but in Pegasus there was the wraith, a threat to Atlantis and the ancients. So by updating Atlantis with the ATA gene, if the wraith ever got onto Atlantis or tried to use anything ancient, the wraith wouldn't be able to operate it. Whereas on Destiny it was never updated with the ATA gene because there was no need for it. Having the ATA gene doesn't prove anything.

--------

In my opinion, I think Atlantis is older because the hyperdrive in the Destiny is much more hightech than Atlantis. Plus Destiny's power source is better. I mean Atlantis' ZPM was pratically drained by the time the expedition got there whereas the Destiny still had power when Rush and his team got there. Why would the ancients build a ship with a powerful hyperdrive and power source and then build Atlantis with lesser tech? That doesn't really make sense.

And what about the Stargate differences? The Earth gate is obviously the first gate because that's where the ancients originated. The Atlantis gate is similar to the Earth gate besides the fact that it's blue and has star consellations on it. Then the Destiny gate completely spins while dialing, and uses a handheld device to dial.

So, if Destiny was built before Atlantis than why isn't the Atlantis gate like the Destiny gate? Technology goes forward not backwards. Why would the ancients build a gate like the Destiny gate and then go backwards in technology and build the Atlantis gate similar to the Earth gate. A gate that needs a DHD to dial (without it they can't dial), whereas the Destiny gate uses a handheld device to dial.

Now to me that makes no sense, so right there that must mean that Atlantis came first then they built the Destiny.

Sigs by sarah_jones on Livejournal.
          My FanFiction and LiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by SGAFirenity View Post

So, if Destiny was built before Atlantis than why isn't the Atlantis gate like the Destiny gate? Technology goes forward not backwards. Why would the ancients build a gate like the Destiny gate and then go backwards in technology and build the Atlantis gate similar to the Earth gate. A gate that needs a DHD to dial (without it they can't dial), whereas the Destiny gate uses a handheld device to dial.

Now to me that makes no sense, so right there that must mean that Atlantis came first then they built the Destiny.
            you got it all wrong no offense...but Atlantis's gate is far superior to earths and destinies gates. Destiny's gate is the oldest and junked model. The fact that it spins and has horrible range is evidence of that. And the producers said SGU's gates are the oldest and least advanced. Also you don't need the DHD to dial as in Atlantis's gates they have puddle jumpers that are capable of dialing the gate...

also when you said the hyperdrive is more advanced on deastiny...not even close...ftl is only better in terms of energy...atlantis has a fully functional hyperdrive and a wormhole drive.
            Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
            Anime signature in spoiler tag
            Spoiler:
            Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
              you got it all wrong no offense...but Atlantis's gate is far superior to earths and destinies gates. Destiny's gate is the oldest and junked model. The fact that it spins and has horrible range is evidence of that. And the producers said SGU's gates are the oldest and least advanced. Also you don't need the DHD to dial as in Atlantis's gates they have puddle jumpers that are capable of dialing the gate...

also when you said the hyperdrive is more advanced on deastiny...not even close...ftl is only better in terms of energy...atlantis has a fully functional hyperdrive and a wormhole drive.
              Right... ...my bad. Hmm....now I'm not sure about which one is oldest. Now I'm thinking probably the Destiny because as I said in the other post technology moves forward not back. So if thats the case then it makes sense that Destiny is older because it has that crappy gate. Whereas like you said Atlantis' gate is far more superior than both Destiny's and Earth's gate.

Sigs by sarah_jones on Livejournal.
              My FanFiction and LiveJournal

Comment

Right... ...my bad. Hmm....now I'm not sure about which one is oldest. Now I'm thinking probably the Destiny because as I said in the other post technology moves forward not back. So if thats the case then it makes sense that Destiny is older because it has that crappy gate. Whereas like you said Atlantis' gate is far more superior than both Destiny's and Earth's gate.
                Two words: Periodical upgrades.

Comment

I agree with the bolded part. On Earth there was no need for the ATA gene but in Pegasus there was the wraith, a threat to Atlantis and the ancients. So by updating Atlantis with the ATA gene, if the wraith ever got onto Atlantis or tried to use anything ancient, the wraith wouldn't be able to operate it. Whereas on Destiny it was never updated with the ATA gene because there was no need for it. Having the ATA gene doesn't prove anything.

--------

In my opinion, I think Atlantis is older because the hyperdrive in the Destiny is much more hightech than Atlantis. Plus Destiny's power source is better. I mean Atlantis' ZPM was pratically drained by the time the expedition got there whereas the Destiny still had power when Rush and his team got there. Why would the ancients build a ship with a powerful hyperdrive and power source and then build Atlantis with lesser tech? That doesn't really make sense.

And what about the Stargate differences? The Earth gate is obviously the first gate because that's where the ancients originated. The Atlantis gate is similar to the Earth gate besides the fact that it's blue and has star consellations on it. Then the Destiny gate completely spins while dialing, and uses a handheld device to dial.

Rush said hte destiny PREDATES ata gene technology which means even if it did need it the technology wasnt available thus the destiny is older than Atlantis because atlantis uses the ATA gene
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by _Famrir_ View Post
                    Rush said hte destiny PREDATES ata gene technology which means even if it did need it the technology wasnt available thus the destiny is older than Atlantis because atlantis uses the ATA gene
                    that makes no sense comparing the Destiny to Atlantis on the bases one is ATA encoded and the other not is a baseless fact when one was abandoned morre than a million years ago and the other 10.000 years ago and had people adding and changing thing. Do you really think a city would stay the same for that long even if there were no technological progress(which clearly existed) the style and architecture and some other stuff change a lot, just look at us and what we make now and compare to a 100, 50, even 10 years ago and point the differences.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                      The Destiny. Which hasn't been in Hyperspace, it's been in FTL. Which was stated in the first episode.

And, Rush said at least hundreds of thousands. But we know that they sent off the Destiny before they went to Atlantis, as it was the prime of their civilisation. Before they fled the Plague.

Therefor, we know the Destiny is older.

In a fight, Altantis would win though. Just to throw that randomly in there
                      Heck, I'm pretty sure you could just throw atlantis at the destiny and the city would still be able to fly.
                      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                      Caboose: They could be worse?
                      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

destiny is older
                        you need the ATA gene for atlantis, which is a security upgrade
                        and
                        Spoiler:
                        there is the "1.0" version of the ancient head sucker thing/ tao of rodney ascension device

also the gate on destiny is steampunk
                        MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                        I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

The Destiny is clearly older. On the original point of time spent in FTL, the Destiny has outdone Atlantis simply as it's FTL drive is different from a Hyperdrive and presumably designed for the purpose of near constant use. Although it hasn't been stated in the show, it makes sense that it travels slower than most hyperdrive driven ships and uses less power as there is no need for the large initial burst used to rip open a window into subspace. Also when the Destiny's power reserves run low it simply drops out and
                          Spoiler:
                          flies through a star
                          to recharge.
                          sigpic

Comment

Arguably the Destiny's weapons, in my opinion, are much less efficient and powerful than drones.
                            Thousands/millions of years makes sense (to the clinically sane) that the weapons and shields would be more advanced and efficient.

Destiny though, in my opinion, is much better equipped to be in a prolonged battle.

Destiny's amount of weapons would provide suffice fire to eventually take down atlantis's shield, but then again the drones could pass straight through the destiny's shielding and kill it.

We cant now for sure.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
                              Arguably the Destiny's weapons, in my opinion, are much less efficient and powerful than drones.
                              Thousands/millions of years makes sense (to the clinically sane) that the weapons and shields would be more advanced and efficient.

Destiny though, in my opinion, is much better equipped to be in a prolonged battle.

Destiny's amount of weapons would provide suffice fire to eventually take down atlantis's shield, but then again the drones could pass straight through the destiny's shielding and kill it.

We cant now for sure.
                              That my friend, is up for a debate.

Discounting the last episode of Atlantis, the Shields on the city do not drain/weaken because of fire. The shields stay up relative to the power the city has.

Comment

But Destiny has great shields to...not to mention that the constant barrage of fire from Destiny's numerous guns will eventualy deplete Atlantis shields.

Comment

Working...
                                X