Atlantis Vs Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

* ahem *

back to the 'which one is older' debate.

There are two main reasons I'd say that destiny is older.

The gate system. These gates are an older model with more limited range, and without DHD's.
    • The lack of DHD's: Good to have remotes, but it defeats the idea of the gate system to travel freely among worlds, apparently the concept hasn't been worked out fully. The lack of DHD's can be explained however by saying the ancients didn't suply the planets with DHD's so the gate system couldn't be used by other races in those galaxies. Kinda mean don't ya think?
    • The range: main issue is that these gates apparently have a shorter range, otherwise why would there only be a few adresses available ( in Air II & III ) , or why would the destiny constantly have to be moving. If the gates had more range then it could drop out of FTL at the edge of a galaxy and start dailing with abandon untill it needed to get some power.
      This shorter range indicates that the gates are less advanced, and don't have the range of milky way and pegasus gates. These appear to be an older model, older than the milky way and pegasus.

The chair.
    • also a few reasons why the chair indicates destiny is older. Rush has mentioned ( consistently ) that the chair was built early in the ancient's evolution and the effects would be less severe, the ancient's physiology wasn't as evolutionarily advanced as it was during the pegasus/atlantis - era. This indicates that this chair was built far before they left for pegasus, because why would they build a chair for someone with less advanced physiology?
    • The milkyway has these brain-uploader repositories, meant to be used by a race evolutionarily highly advanced. It appears that destiny was sent out with the less advanced chair ( with bolts ) while the ancients were still setting up their civilisation in the milky way. Long after the destiny took off the ancients had evolved so far they could create those repositories ( and use them ). And Atlantis appears to be more modern than those repositories.

But some reasons why it doesn't really make sense to me: Why did the ancients send out this ship on intergalactic quest while they were still building their civilisation in the milkyway? Were they that adventurous they were willing to build a dozen huge ships and send them away?
    And the antartica gate was dated 50 million years I believe? I can not imagine destiny being over 50 million years old. So how come the milkyway system ( that is more advanced than the destiny's gates, as established above ) is older than the destiny gates. Or could it be possible the ancients embarked on a gigantic "updating the gates"- project, improving the range and adding DHD's?

If some details were different ( milky way system equally as advanced as destiny gate system, and personally I imagine FTL being older than hyperdrive, as it appears to be a lot slower ( with hyperdrive you cross a galaxy in 1 day ) ) than it would make perfect sense and I imagine it would be like this:
    - Ancients leave the Ori behind and "find a great belt of stars"
    - They start building their civilisation in the milky way and spread out across millions of worlds. The ancients flourish. Ships are using FTL, either invented in the milky way, or already when they lived with the Ori.
    - The industrious fellows embark on a big project and build a number of huge ships to send out into the universe. Most are built to seed stargates, and years later the 'destiny' follows them to explore the galaxies they've been to.
    - Hyperdrive is invented somewhere around this time.
    - Destiny has been away for quite some time, the plague strikes the ancients in the milky way and millions die, the civilisation is on the brink of destruction.
    - Atlantis, either made earlier ( as a new generation of ship/city ) or around this time specifically to escape the plague and start anew, leaves earth and the milkyway, they go to pegasus.

- Pegasus is seeded with life, ancient flourish, wraith encountered, war, ancients flee back to earth and ascend or die out.
    - The Tau'ri make it onto destiny
    - We start having debates about the timeline.

My two cents, I'm proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
      * ahem *

back to the 'which one is older' debate.

There are two main reasons I'd say that destiny is older.

The gate system. These gates are an older model with more limited range, and without DHD's.
      • The lack of DHD's: Good to have remotes, but it defeats the idea of the gate system to travel freely among worlds, apparently the concept hasn't been worked out fully. The lack of DHD's can be explained however by saying the ancients didn't suply the planets with DHD's so the gate system couldn't be used by other races in those galaxies. Kinda mean don't ya think?
      • The range: main issue is that these gates apparently have a shorter range, otherwise why would there only be a few adresses available ( in Air II & III ) , or why would the destiny constantly have to be moving. If the gates had more range then it could drop out of FTL at the edge of a galaxy and start dailing with abandon untill it needed to get some power.
        This shorter range indicates that the gates are less advanced, and don't have the range of milky way and pegasus gates. These appear to be an older model, older than the milky way and pegasus.

The chair.
      • also a few reasons why the chair indicates destiny is older. Rush has mentioned ( consistently ) that the chair was built early in the ancient's evolution and the effects would be less severe, the ancient's physiology wasn't as evolutionarily advanced as it was during the pegasus/atlantis - era. This indicates that this chair was built far before they left for pegasus, because why would they build a chair for someone with less advanced physiology?
      • The milkyway has these brain-uploader repositories, meant to be used by a race evolutionarily highly advanced. It appears that destiny was sent out with the less advanced chair ( with bolts ) while the ancients were still setting up their civilisation in the milky way. Long after the destiny took off the ancients had evolved so far they could create those repositories ( and use them ). And Atlantis appears to be more modern than those repositories.

But some reasons why it doesn't really make sense to me: Why did the ancients send out this ship on intergalactic quest while they were still building their civilisation in the milkyway? Were they that adventurous they were willing to build a dozen huge ships and send them away?
      And the antartica gate was dated 50 million years I believe? I can not imagine destiny being over 50 million years old. So how come the milkyway system ( that is more advanced than the destiny's gates, as established above ) is older than the destiny gates. Or could it be possible the ancients embarked on a gigantic "updating the gates"- project, improving the range and adding DHD's?

If some details were different ( milky way system equally as advanced as destiny gate system, and personally I imagine FTL being older than hyperdrive, as it appears to be a lot slower ( with hyperdrive you cross a galaxy in 1 day ) ) than it would make perfect sense and I imagine it would be like this:
      - Ancients leave the Ori behind and "find a great belt of stars"
      - They start building their civilisation in the milky way and spread out across millions of worlds. The ancients flourish. Ships are using FTL, either invented in the milky way, or already when they lived with the Ori.
      - The industrious fellows embark on a big project and build a number of huge ships to send out into the universe. Most are built to seed stargates, and years later the 'destiny' follows them to explore the galaxies they've been to.
      - Hyperdrive is invented somewhere around this time.
      - Destiny has been away for quite some time, the plague strikes the ancients in the milky way and millions die, the civilisation is on the brink of destruction.
      - Atlantis, either made earlier ( as a new generation of ship/city ) or around this time specifically to escape the plague and start anew, leaves earth and the milkyway, they go to pegasus.

- Pegasus is seeded with life, ancient flourish, wraith encountered, war, ancients flee back to earth and ascend or die out.
      - The Tau'ri make it onto destiny
      - We start having debates about the timeline.

My two cents, I'm proud of it.

There are many more factors to consider, but i think everyone can agree the destiny is much older than Atlantis, which can even be told from it's looks.
      What is Destiny's job exactly anyway? Catalogue planets? Survey if they are habitable? I'm sure the seeder ships would not have just planted a gate that was not habitable to the ancients themselves.

Moving on anyway.

Weaponry: Destiny's weaponry seems pretty poor. That main cannon seems in all honesty terrible. It could be strong, but if you are not pointed directly at the ship, your not going to hit it, and it looked like it took up a large section of the ship anway. Very inneficient.

compare this to atlantis weaponry, Drones. Quick, very high explosive impact damage, manouverable, and can obviously be fired more frequently as they could be in swarms. Not only this, you can guide them with your mind.

there is though the point that destiny is low on power, and seeing as it can only hold a fraction of what it used to be able to, well we cannot really know it's full potential.

One on one with both of them in pristene condition? who knows, could go either way.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

well there is only one thing you need to look out for and that is the weapons systems and the chair, they are less advanced than the ones used in atlantis

Comment

I certainly doubt the Ancients went from Atlantis, with its modern look and pretty windows, to Destiny's steam engine pipe work and lack of suitable lighting. Its fairly obvious that it was designed to look substantially older than Atlantis.
          sigpic

Comment

Coming this millenium, Ancient technology in conjunction with stargate command bring you:

ATLANTIS VS DESTINY!

A show-down not to be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
              There are many more factors to consider, but i think everyone can agree the destiny is much older than Atlantis, which can even be told from it's looks.
              What is Destiny's job exactly anyway? Catalogue planets? Survey if they are habitable? I'm sure the seeder ships would not have just planted a gate that was not habitable to the ancients themselves.

Moving on anyway.

Weaponry: Destiny's weaponry seems pretty poor. That main cannon seems in all honesty terrible. It could be strong, but if you are not pointed directly at the ship, your not going to hit it, and it looked like it took up a large section of the ship anway. Very inneficient.

compare this to atlantis weaponry, Drones. Quick, very high explosive impact damage, manouverable, and can obviously be fired more frequently as they could be in swarms. Not only this, you can guide them with your mind.

there is though the point that destiny is low on power, and seeing as it can only hold a fraction of what it used to be able to, well we cannot really know it's full potential.

One on one with both of them in pristene condition? who knows, could go either way.
              you cant say that desiny is older than atlantis by its looks nobody has been on destiny since it was launched so it is unchanged we have no idea how atlantis looked when it left earth all you see is it taking off who knows what kind of upgrades the ancients made over millions of years in pegasus in fact if they didnt make significant changes in that time then they weren't that smart were they?

Comment

Originally posted by AdmlDj View Post
                you cant say that desiny is older than atlantis by its looks nobody has been on destiny since it was launched so it is unchanged we have no idea how atlantis looked when it left earth all you see is it taking off who knows what kind of upgrades the ancients made over millions of years in pegasus in fact if they didnt make significant changes in that time then they weren't that smart were they?

Thanks for the completely irrelevant point there junior. We all know you cannot judge a book by it's cover, i just stated Atlantis's obvious more advanced look and feel, i never said that is what i went by in judging which ship is older.

Anyway, back to the thread, Atlantis would kill destiny with ease with a single ZPM. If Atlantis mover out of the wya of the destiny's main weapon, which is easy enough, is just has to deal with the turrets, and the drones will most likely rip destiny's shield apart after a few hundred.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
                  Thanks for the completely irrelevant point there junior. We all know you cannot judge a book by it's cover, i just stated Atlantis's obvious more advanced look and feel, i never said that is what i went by in judging which ship is older.

Anyway, back to the thread, Atlantis would kill destiny with ease with a single ZPM. If Atlantis mover out of the wya of the destiny's main weapon, which is easy enough, is just has to deal with the turrets, and the drones will most likely rip destiny's shield apart after a few hundred.
                  thanks for the completely irrelevant point that i haven't made as many posts as you i dont believe this in anyway shows i know less than you or anyone else on here i only post when i think i have something to contribute i notice however that you conveniently skipped past the possibility of atlantis as we know it being the product of millions of years of upgrades i mean do you honestly believe the ancients went to pegasus and never bothered to invent any thing or upgrade anything not even a lick of paint us lowly humans cant live in the same house for more than a few years without upgrading our technology changing the look of rooms and generally keeping up with the times however your argument seems to be that atlantis is unchanged from the day of construction just like the destiny

Comment

Just how much thread space has to be spent trying to mend the shows' constant inconsistencies, I wonder?

Yeah, I try too, but the sad fact is, the creators don't give much thought to how dedicated fans would see it, rather going with whatever they feel like going with at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
                      Atlantis hands down and I think TPTB should make a Sg timeline chart and post it so we can have a better understanding of whats going on, the way that it is doesn't make sense with Atlantis going to Pegasus millions of years ago and destiny being hundreds of thousands of years old.

Or maybe Atlantis bugded out before the plague hit, I don't know.
                      I think TPTB would rather work a month without pay than do that chart, because then they'd have to put up with all the non-matching "creative liberties" they took with the shows over the years. :-)

Comment

i think that destiny is older just because of the fact that there is less advanced tech the neural interface is way less advanced they didnt even have the control chair devices drones werent around theres alot of things that the ancients have improved on so i think its destiny thats the older of the two espically the seeder ships i think they definatly would be older if destiny wasnt. also it might be advantageous to view atlantis as the ancients last great invention in a sense their 9th symphony i spose where they put all theyre great technology at the time into not only a place to live but theyre best technological advancement and im just guessing here but i think the whole way stargate program probably found out about destiny was from atlantis' database itd make sense why the ancients went to pegasus atlantis probably recieves some data every now and then or did at some point and when they left they may have used this data. in my opinion it just seems more logical that destiny would be older but then again its my opinion and everyone is entitled to there own opinion

Comment

Destiny is constantly recharging from star

Comment

Destiny is older, thou for when it was built it was the most advanced ship built by the ancients but still and if repaired/restored would still be a deadly ship to face in combat, also Destiny is kinda like a precursor to the later more comfortable City Ships that would be built.

Comment

For me its the Destiny. From the first gen gates, to the chair, to the way they did power..

Comment

This is kind of a laughable 'fight'.... Atlantis is vastly (possibly millions of years) newer and more advanced than Destiny.

The fight would be like sending the starship Enterprise out to sink a prehistoric canoe.
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X