Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
    That my friend, is up for a debate.

Discounting the last episode of Atlantis, the Shields on the city do not drain/weaken because of fire. The shields stay up relative to the power the city has.
    If it's in the show is has to be counted, does it not? So Atlantis' shields do drain through fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
      That my friend, is up for a debate.

Discounting the last episode of Atlantis, the Shields on the city do not drain/weaken because of fire. The shields stay up relative to the power the city has.
      Exactly, the whole Wraith bombardment in the Siege was too deplete the ZPM and allow the shields to fail

Originally posted by The Swarm View Post
      But Destiny has great shields to...not to mention that the constant barrage of fire from Destiny's numerous guns will eventually deplete Atlantis shields.
      I think the barrage from Destiny’s guns will deplete its own power reserves before it depletes the ZPM powering Atlantis shields, however all the ship has to do is fly through a sun to recharge then come back for more.

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
      If it's in the show is has to be counted, does it not? So Atlantis' shields do drain through fire.
      But it is not clear how much power was in the ZPM’s during the battle.
      "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
      "That he is concealing something."
      "Like what?"
      "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
      "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
      "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
      "I liked that movie!"

Comment

To clarify, the issue I think is that in Atlantis' final episode, the shield is said to be "At 70 percent" or something. The shield itself, not the ZPM. However, throughout the whole run of the series, it was canon that the shield was an all-or-nothing sort of thing (in terms of power, obviously not coverage i.e. "Adrift"). The shield was never said to be at a percent of its output, the way shields in Star Trek or even Daedalus work. Enemy fire does not weaken the shield, but instead drains the power source (usually the ZPMs). I'm sure that given enough time and enough rocks, the shield can be brought down by throwing rocks at it. Weapon strength against the city shield is not about how well it can get through (because nothing can), but how quickly they can drain the ZPM.

But saying the Destiny has weapons that would eventually win against Atlantis can only be met with "Well Duh." Because each shot drains a minuscule amount of power from the ZPM, if the city were to never fight back and never replace or augment its ZPMs, given enough time even someone tossing rocks at it could eventually bring it down.

So basically, yes, but it's the power source that drains not the shield itself. This is the case in every single episode except the final one, and taking that whole episode into account, I think it's safe to ignore the "Shield at 70%" line
        Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

Actually both views are correct. in that the shields do drain from weapons fire as well as the ZPM output. if you remember the episode with the Aterro device Zelenka stated that the SHIELD EMITTERS were being overloaded. (and before anyone says anything it was not the normal gate shield either. it was the city shield shrunk around the gate like Sheppard asked Zelenka to do.) so in the episode EATG the whole 70% thing was that the shield emitters were bieng overloaded and at the time were only able to put out 70% of the power that the ZPM was feeding them.
          sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

The fight aint realy fair since both the Destiny and Atlantis are pretty old... neither works at 100% efficency.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
              Actually both views are correct. in that the shields do drain from weapons fire as well as the ZPM output. if you remember the episode with the Aterro device Zelenka stated that the SHIELD EMITTERS were being overloaded. (and before anyone says anything it was not the normal gate shield either. it was the city shield shrunk around the gate like Sheppard asked Zelenka to do.) so in the episode EATG the whole 70% thing was that the shield emitters were bieng overloaded and at the time were only able to put out 70% of the power that the ZPM was feeding them.
              That was different; the modified cityshield was never meant to be used that way, so the emitters couldn't handle it. Had the overloaded stargates been placed on top of the cityshield and detonated, the shield would have held until it ran out of power.
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Indeed, thge shield contained the blast instead of of pressureing on it.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  That was different; the modified cityshield was never meant to be used that way, so the emitters couldn't handle it. Had the overloaded stargates been placed on top of the cityshield and detonated, the shield would have held until it ran out of power.
                  How was it different? It still basically absorbs the energy, just like it would normally just in this case it absorbs 100% instead of 30-50 if it was above the shield. Also, the fact hat they could change the shield for such a function in seconds (unlike, say, the cloak) suggests it is meant to work that way too.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

I think it might be a little different, since the shield is containing a multi-megaton explosion instead of deflecting it. This is especially hard since it's in such a compressed space. But we do know the shield is naturally capable of shrinking the way it did, we saw that in the pilot and "Adrift." The difference here is, instead of keeping water out and air in, it's containing a massive explosion. So I think it's fair to say that it was a unique event
                    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

Comment

actually its the same because the city's sheilds were never meant to stand upto a barage from a superhiveship powered by one of the ancients own ZPM'S.

but then again maybe your right what if the sheild emitters are charged to a certain point (The Storm) and when put under strain lose that power. or what if due to Zelenka saying that the whormhole drive that they used to get to Earth used and insane amount of power they were refering to the remaining amount of power the 3 zpm's could supply to the sheilds before they failed. remember after the battle Woolsey told Sam that they dindt know ifthey were going to make it through RE-entry due to the fact of how much power was drained getting to Earth and then the subsequent battle.
                      Last edited by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei; 11 December 2009, 05:01 PM.
                      sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Incorrect. The shield does actually seem to be able to be used that way, it makes sense.

Shep asked for it to be done and Zalenka(?) made it happen within seconds, so that suggests easy manipulation of the shield execept it's pre-programmed state.

Also, when the city shield shrunk itself to protect different parts of the city, it provides further proof that shrinking the shield to a certain place is more than possible but has infact happened.

Basically the emmiters were specifically designed for that use. And if you detonated a gate ontop of the cityshield, the shield would only take on about 60-70% of the damage IF that, considering the way the gate explodes.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
                          actually its the same because the city's sheilds were never meant to stand upto a barage from a superhiveship powered by one of the ancients own ZPM'S.

but then again maybe your right what if the sheild emitters are charged to a certain point (The Storm) and when put under strain lose that power. or what if due to Zelenka saying that the whormhole drive that they used to get to Earth used and insane amount of power they were refering to the remaining amount of power the 3 zpm's could supply to the sheilds before they failed. remember after the battle Woolsey told Sam that they dindt know ifthey were going to make it through RE-entry due to the fact of how much power was drained getting to Earth and then the subsequent battle.
                          Yeah not much juice was left in the ZPM's, and that hive spat out some serious fire power knocking Atlantis back into the atmosphere, which also drained the shield.

Its no suprise the power was so low.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
                            Incorrect. The shield does actually seem to be able to be used that way, it makes sense.

Shep asked for it to be done and Zalenka(?) made it happen within seconds, so that suggests easy manipulation of the shield execept it's pre-programmed state.

Also, when the city shield shrunk itself to protect different parts of the city, it provides further proof that shrinking the shield to a certain place is more than possible but has infact happened.

Basically the emmiters were specifically designed for that use. And if you detonated a gate ontop of the cityshield, the shield would only take on about 60-70% of the damage IF that, considering the way the gate explodes.
                            Well obviously the shield shrinks natively. Like we both said, we've seen that. The difference it that it's not "protecting" the gate from the rest of the city, it's protecting the city from the gate. The "bad" thing is inside the shield bubble instead of outside of it, which I would think is exactly the opposite of what the shield was designed to work with. So the emitters were designed to shrink the shield, but not to contain things other than atmosphere, and certainly not an exploding Stargate. From what we hear in "Redemption," a similar event would have wiped out all life on Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post

Incorrect. The gate can shrink just fine, but it's not meant to contain a blast; its purpose is to deflect a blast.
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Incorrect. The gate can shrink just fine, but it's not meant to contain a blast; its purpose is to deflect a blast.
                                Yes but surely the shield efficiency would have to be equally strong at containing aswell as deflecting. Beside sit does not actually deflect, it dissipates the energy and absorbs it. Containment of a weapon would cause the same effect, but it would be constant, just as the asuran beam was on the city.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Working...
                                X