Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Vs Destiny

Which is older? Atlantis or Destiny?
    because destiny clearly LOOKS older, but some of its tech is much more modern(it has been in hyperspace for 100,000s of years-that would drain a ZPM pretty fast its using better power sources) and it was conceived of at the same time as the gates (otherwise not all of them would have 9 cheverons, it would have been an afterthought years later) but Atlantis was been said to be millions of years old compared to the Destiny being only hundreds of thousands
    so which is older? The new looking Atlantis, or the broken down ol' Destiny?
    MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
    I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

The Destiny. Which hasn't been in Hyperspace, it's been in FTL. Which was stated in the first episode.

And, Rush said at least hundreds of thousands. But we know that they sent off the Destiny before they went to Atlantis, as it was the prime of their civilisation. Before they fled the Plague.

Therefor, we know the Destiny is older.

In a fight, Altantis would win though. Just to throw that randomly in there

Comment

Atlantis hands down and I think TPTB should make a Sg timeline chart and post it so we can have a better understanding of whats going on, the way that it is doesn't make sense with Atlantis going to Pegasus millions of years ago and destiny being hundreds of thousands of years old.

Or maybe Atlantis bugded out before the plague hit, I don't know.

Comment

Destiny is older as it was launched from Earth during the height of the Ancients civilisation in the MW. Then some time (possibly thousands of years later) the plague struck and the Ancients left in Atlantis for Pegasus, why, because that galaxy had already been seeded with the primitive SGU gates and explored by the Destiny.

As for which would win in a fight I'd say Atlantis as it has more advanced tech (shields and weapons, drones would make mincemeat of the Destiny
        "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
        "That he is concealing something."
        "Like what?"
        "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
        "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
        "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
        "I liked that movie!"

Comment

the destiny is much older due to it being launched in the milky way and travelling to pegasus. Atlantis could have been built a few thousand years later making both ships of similar age but a few thousands years is alot of time so maybe that is why atlantis looks totally different. Also jsut a note but did anyone else notice that the destiny looks like the hull of an aurora? maybe that was the design of their ships when they used stones for their buildings.. i simply cant see a flying stone ship
          sigpic

Comment

You know... Atlantis used to be on earth, no one ever says how long it was there for. I personally think Destiny is older.. just a hunch. But it could be the other way around. Does anyone have any incontrovertible evidence of one or the other? Does anyone remember anyone saying anything that would give us the answer?

A few thousand years difference in time might not matter much technologically to the Ancients. If you have a technology that works well and there is no need to improve it, it doesn't improve. Why re-invent the wheel?... or the stargate for that matter...

I wonder if Destiny is the ship that the ancients originally used to flee to this galaxy from the Ori in. I believe in the Ark of Truth movie, you get a glimpse of the ship they take off in, if anyone has it on DVD and wouldn't mind checking.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailias View Post
              You know... Atlantis used to be on earth, no one ever says how long it was there for. I personally think Destiny is older.. just a hunch. But it could be the other way around. Does anyone have any incontrovertible evidence of one or the other? Does anyone remember anyone saying anything that would give us the answer?

A few thousand years difference in time might not matter much technologically to the Ancients. If you have a technology that works well and there is no need to improve it, it doesn't improve. Why re-invent the wheel?... or the stargate for that matter...

I wonder if Destiny is the ship that the ancients originally used to flee to this galaxy from the Ori in. I believe in the Ark of Truth movie, you get a glimpse of the ship they take off in, if anyone has it on DVD and wouldn't mind checking.
              Nope.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/stargate/images/5/59/Alteranship3.jpg

This doesn't really look like the Destiny. And in this case, Stargate Wiki is reliable.
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Michael writes: “If Atlantis left for Pegasus “Several Million Years Ago” according to “Rising”, was Rush mistaken in his estimate that Destiny left Earth “Hundreds of Thousands” of years ago?”

Answer: He misspoke or was speaking sort of off-hand, assuming he wasn’t going to be called on it by a knowledgeable fan.

destiny is older then what was mentioned in the show - from joes blog
                Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                Anime signature in spoiler tag
                Spoiler:
                Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

I too think the Destiny is older. Because it looks older that's why i say it is lol and plus Rush did say something too.
                  GOODBYE GATEWORLD. BEEN FUN TAKE CARE ALL!!

Comment

see but its the power that gets me-100,000s of years in ftl with a shield drains power-atlantis barely made the jump from Pegasus to earth without running out of juice. doesnt that make the destiny's power source better/more efficient and therefore newer?
                    MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                    I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

Originally posted by corey2002 View Post
                      see but its the power that gets me-100,000s of years in ftl with a shield drains power-atlantis barely made the jump from Pegasus to earth without running out of juice. doesnt that make the destiny's power source better/more efficient and therefore newer?
                      FTL must use less power than Hyperdrive. Also, it makes periodic stops on it's journey, so perhaps it's able to recharge somehow.

Maybe FTL is more economic for short jumps with resting periods. Perhaps it's slower than Hyperdrive.

But over-all, Hyperdrive must be better for longer jumps without rests. Perhaps being faster than Hyperdrive, but less economic when it comes to power considerations.

Or, perhaps whatever powers the Destiny is made from a very rare substance that they've been unable to replicate/ find more of. They could have, due to some unknown anomaly, created a perfect energy supply, something perhaps like Project Arcturis, and then been unable to recreate the exact conditions again.

Comment

Originally posted by corey2002 View Post

not necessarily, if the speed of the destiny is slower than even a basic hyperdrive (some people have done the math on this) it could be using a lot less power.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think the Destiny looks more like an Aurora class warship, at least the exterior anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Alterran1. View Post
                            I think the Destiny looks more like an Aurora class warship, at least the exterior anyway.
                            yea ive noticed that too i have a theory that their ships have that overall design while the cities (atlantis was a city first ship second) looked like atlantis or maybe the architectural design is that of during the stone period in ancient history since u cant really make ships out of stones.
                            sigpic

Comment

it is older that atlantis it was biult before the use of the ata jean

Comment

Working...
                              X