Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Atlantis Vs Destiny

Quote Originally Posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
    you got it all wrong no offense...but Atlantis's gate is far superior to earths and destinies gates. Destiny's gate is the oldest and junked model. The fact that it spins and has horrible range is evidence of that. And the producers said SGU's gates are the oldest and least advanced. Also you don't need the DHD to dial as in Atlantis's gates they have puddle jumpers that are capable of dialing the gate...

also when you said the hyperdrive is more advanced on deastiny...not even close...ftl is only better in terms of energy...atlantis has a fully functional hyperdrive and a wormhole drive.
    Right... ...my bad. Hmm....now I'm not sure about which one is oldest. Now I'm thinking probably the Destiny because as I said in the other post technology moves forward not back. So if thats the case then it makes sense that Destiny is older because it has that crappy gate. Whereas like you said Atlantis' gate is far more superior than both Destiny's and Earth's gate.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by SGAFirenity View Post
    Right... ...my bad. Hmm....now I'm not sure about which one is oldest. Now I'm thinking probably the Destiny because as I said in the other post technology moves forward not back. So if thats the case then it makes sense that Destiny is older because it has that crappy gate. Whereas like you said Atlantis' gate is far more superior than both Destiny's and Earth's gate.
    Two words: Periodical upgrades.

Thor Re: Atlantis Vs Destiny

Quote Originally Posted by SGAFirenity View Post
    I agree with the bolded part. On Earth there was no need for the ATA gene but in Pegasus there was the wraith, a threat to Atlantis and the ancients. So by updating Atlantis with the ATA gene, if the wraith ever got onto Atlantis or tried to use anything ancient, the wraith wouldn't be able to operate it. Whereas on Destiny it was never updated with the ATA gene because there was no need for it. Having the ATA gene doesn't prove anything.

--------

In my opinion, I think Atlantis is older because the hyperdrive in the Destiny is much more hightech than Atlantis. Plus Destiny's power source is better. I mean Atlantis' ZPM was pratically drained by the time the expedition got there whereas the Destiny still had power when Rush and his team got there. Why would the ancients build a ship with a powerful hyperdrive and power source and then build Atlantis with lesser tech? That doesn't really make sense.

And what about the Stargate differences? The Earth gate is obviously the first gate because that's where the ancients originated. The Atlantis gate is similar to the Earth gate besides the fact that it's blue and has star consellations on it. Then the Destiny gate completely spins while dialing, and uses a handheld device to dial.

So, if Destiny was built before Atlantis than why isn't the Atlantis gate like the Destiny gate? Technology goes forward not backwards. Why would the ancients build a gate like the Destiny gate and then go backwards in technology and build the Atlantis gate similar to the Earth gate. A gate that needs a DHD to dial (without it they can't dial), whereas the Destiny gate uses a handheld device to dial.

Now to me that makes no sense, so right there that must mean that Atlantis came first then they built the Destiny.
    Rush said hte destiny PREDATES ata gene technology which means even if it did need it the technology wasnt available thus the destiny is older than Atlantis because atlantis uses the ATA gene

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by _Famrir_ View Post
    Rush said hte destiny PREDATES ata gene technology which means even if it did need it the technology wasnt available thus the destiny is older than Atlantis because atlantis uses the ATA gene
    that makes no sense comparing the Destiny to Atlantis on the bases one is ATA encoded and the other not is a baseless fact when one was abandoned morre than a million years ago and the other 10.000 years ago and had people adding and changing thing. Do you really think a city would stay the same for that long even if there were no technological progress(which clearly existed) the style and architecture and some other stuff change a lot, just look at us and what we make now and compare to a 100, 50, even 10 years ago and point the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet View Post
    The Destiny. Which hasn't been in Hyperspace, it's been in FTL. Which was stated in the first episode.

And, Rush said at least hundreds of thousands. But we know that they sent off the Destiny before they went to Atlantis, as it was the prime of their civilisation. Before they fled the Plague.

Therefor, we know the Destiny is older.

In a fight, Altantis would win though. Just to throw that randomly in there
    Heck, I'm pretty sure you could just throw atlantis at the destiny and the city would still be able to fly.
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
    Caboose: They could be worse?
    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

destiny is older
    you need the ATA gene for atlantis, which is a security upgrade
    and
    Spoiler:
    there is the "1.0" version of the ancient head sucker thing/ tao of rodney ascension device

also the gate on destiny is steampunk

Second Lieutenant TrueLordOfNetu's Avatar

The Destiny is clearly older. On the original point of time spent in FTL, the Destiny has outdone Atlantis simply as it's FTL drive is different from a Hyperdrive and presumably designed for the purpose of near constant use. Although it hasn't been stated in the show, it makes sense that it travels slower than most hyperdrive driven ships and uses less power as there is no need for the large initial burst used to rip open a window into subspace. Also when the Destiny's power reserves run low it simply drops out and
    Spoiler:
    flies through a star
    to recharge.

Arguably the Destiny's weapons, in my opinion, are much less efficient and powerful than drones.
    Thousands/millions of years makes sense (to the clinically sane) that the weapons and shields would be more advanced and efficient.

Destiny though, in my opinion, is much better equipped to be in a prolonged battle.

Destiny's amount of weapons would provide suffice fire to eventually take down atlantis's shield, but then again the drones could pass straight through the destiny's shielding and kill it.

We cant now for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
    Arguably the Destiny's weapons, in my opinion, are much less efficient and powerful than drones.
    Thousands/millions of years makes sense (to the clinically sane) that the weapons and shields would be more advanced and efficient.

Destiny though, in my opinion, is much better equipped to be in a prolonged battle.

Destiny's amount of weapons would provide suffice fire to eventually take down atlantis's shield, but then again the drones could pass straight through the destiny's shielding and kill it.

We cant now for sure.
    That my friend, is up for a debate.

Discounting the last episode of Atlantis, the Shields on the city do not drain/weaken because of fire. The shields stay up relative to the power the city has.

But Destiny has great shields to...not to mention that the constant barrage of fire from Destiny's numerous guns will eventualy deplete Atlantis shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Wake View Post

Discounting the last episode of Atlantis, the Shields on the city do not drain/weaken because of fire. The shields stay up relative to the power the city has.
    If it's in the show is has to be counted, does it not? So Atlantis' shields do drain through fire.

Second Lieutenant Control_Chair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Wake View Post

Exactly, the whole Wraith bombardment in the Siege was too deplete the ZPM and allow the shields to fail

Quote Originally Posted by The Swarm View Post
    But Destiny has great shields to...not to mention that the constant barrage of fire from Destiny's numerous guns will eventually deplete Atlantis shields.
    I think the barrage from Destiny’s guns will deplete its own power reserves before it depletes the ZPM powering Atlantis shields, however all the ship has to do is fly through a sun to recharge then come back for more.

Quote Originally Posted by kirmit View Post
    If it's in the show is has to be counted, does it not? So Atlantis' shields do drain through fire.
    But it is not clear how much power was in the ZPM’s during the battle.
    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
    "That he is concealing something."
    "Like what?"
    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
    "I liked that movie!"

Chief Master Sergeant

To clarify, the issue I think is that in Atlantis' final episode, the shield is said to be "At 70 percent" or something. The shield itself, not the ZPM. However, throughout the whole run of the series, it was canon that the shield was an all-or-nothing sort of thing (in terms of power, obviously not coverage i.e. "Adrift"). The shield was never said to be at a percent of its output, the way shields in Star Trek or even Daedalus work. Enemy fire does not weaken the shield, but instead drains the power source (usually the ZPMs). I'm sure that given enough time and enough rocks, the shield can be brought down by throwing rocks at it. Weapon strength against the city shield is not about how well it can get through (because nothing can), but how quickly they can drain the ZPM.

But saying the Destiny has weapons that would eventually win against Atlantis can only be met with "Well Duh." Because each shot drains a minuscule amount of power from the ZPM, if the city were to never fight back and never replace or augment its ZPMs, given enough time even someone tossing rocks at it could eventually bring it down.

So basically, yes, but it's the power source that drains not the shield itself. This is the case in every single episode except the final one, and taking that whole episode into account, I think it's safe to ignore the "Shield at 70%" line

First Lieutenant Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei's Avatar

Actually both views are correct. in that the shields do drain from weapons fire as well as the ZPM output. if you remember the episode with the Aterro device Zelenka stated that the SHIELD EMITTERS were being overloaded. (and before anyone says anything it was not the normal gate shield either. it was the city shield shrunk around the gate like Sheppard asked Zelenka to do.) so in the episode EATG the whole 70% thing was that the shield emitters were bieng overloaded and at the time were only able to put out 70% of the power that the ZPM was feeding them.
    Requiescat in pace Weedle

The fight aint realy fair since both the Destiny and Atlantis are pretty old... neither works at 100% efficency.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
    Actually both views are correct. in that the shields do drain from weapons fire as well as the ZPM output. if you remember the episode with the Aterro device Zelenka stated that the SHIELD EMITTERS were being overloaded. (and before anyone says anything it was not the normal gate shield either. it was the city shield shrunk around the gate like Sheppard asked Zelenka to do.) so in the episode EATG the whole 70% thing was that the shield emitters were bieng overloaded and at the time were only able to put out 70% of the power that the ZPM was feeding them.
    That was different; the modified cityshield was never meant to be used that way, so the emitters couldn't handle it. Had the overloaded stargates been placed on top of the cityshield and detonated, the shield would have held until it ran out of power.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Indeed, thge shield contained the blast instead of of pressureing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    That was different; the modified cityshield was never meant to be used that way, so the emitters couldn't handle it. Had the overloaded stargates been placed on top of the cityshield and detonated, the shield would have held until it ran out of power.
    How was it different? It still basically absorbs the energy, just like it would normally just in this case it absorbs 100% instead of 30-50 if it was above the shield. Also, the fact hat they could change the shield for such a function in seconds (unlike, say, the cloak) suggests it is meant to work that way too.
    http://sgt.ketelle.com/files/2009wraithsig.jpg
    http://sgt.ketelle.com/files/SGTadvert.gif
    Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Chief Master Sergeant

I think it might be a little different, since the shield is containing a multi-megaton explosion instead of deflecting it. This is especially hard since it's in such a compressed space. But we do know the shield is naturally capable of shrinking the way it did, we saw that in the pilot and "Adrift." The difference here is, instead of keeping water out and air in, it's containing a massive explosion. So I think it's fair to say that it was a unique event

First Lieutenant Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post

actually its the same because the city's sheilds were never meant to stand upto a barage from a superhiveship powered by one of the ancients own ZPM'S.

but then again maybe your right what if the sheild emitters are charged to a certain point (The Storm) and when put under strain lose that power. or what if due to Zelenka saying that the whormhole drive that they used to get to Earth used and insane amount of power they were refering to the remaining amount of power the 3 zpm's could supply to the sheilds before they failed. remember after the battle Woolsey told Sam that they dindt know ifthey were going to make it through RE-entry due to the fact of how much power was drained getting to Earth and then the subsequent battle.
    Last edited by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei; December 11th, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
    Requiescat in pace Weedle