This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No central villain?

I don't know about everybody else but this seems like a bad idea. I mean one of the biggest parts of TV shows is a central villain.

Ummm...no, it's not.
    Also, what villain would you suggest, given that the ship is constantly moving? Cylons?

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
      Ummm...no, it's not.
      Also, what villain would you suggest, given that the ship is constantly moving? Cylons?
      I'm just saying it sounds like a formula for failure. I can't really think of any modern sci'fi shows without any central villains.

Comment

Well, since we're so fond of the comparison, Star Trek Voyager is one. The Borg featured a lot more than others, as they were the main threat in the Delta Quadrant. But seeing as the Destiny moves at far greater speeds and over far greater distances, it's highly improbable that they'd fface a civilization that could be a threat for more than a few episodes, unless they got on the ship or followed them with an armada. So, basically, cylons.

A series doesn't need a villain to carry the show. Interpersonal dynamics and on-board developments can be the string that ties it all together, against the backdrop of new planets exploration and occasional hostile species.

Comment

Ummm...no, it's not.
          I agree a persistant alien race is not needed like the Wraith and Goauld. But it might be more like Voyager were there was a new enemy every 1-2 seasons.

Spoilers Air part 3
          Spoiler:
          There is another advanced species nearby anyway we saw that ship detach off Destiny at the end. Wether it boarded them when they were stopped or if it can catch them in FTL is another matter.

I think a way to get an alien race with advanced tech out there would be to have had them destroy one of the seeding ships and reverse enginered the technology it had on board.

The expidition does need more new weapons those rifles won't last for long even if they aren't fired they will still need oiling and cleaning and unless the team took a bottle of cleaning oil and some brushes they won't do to well.

I would like to see them get an inbound gate activation were they get a transmision, during which they see a space ship hovering in the distance several aliens stood around which executes a few expeidtion members. Would raise the tension a bit.
          if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Originally posted by borgfan8of5 View Post
            I'm just saying it sounds like a formula for failure. I can't really think of any modern sci'fi shows without any central villains.
            To be fair, most modern sci fi shows of late have been cancelled. With that in mind I can understand wanting to do something that differs in certain regards.

Although I wouldn't rule out there being a main villain on SGU just yet, but a more insidious one.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
              Well, since we're so fond of the comparison, Star Trek Voyager is one. The Borg featured a lot more than others, as they were the main threat in the Delta Quadrant. But seeing as the Destiny moves at far greater speeds and over far greater distances, it's highly improbable that they'd fface a civilization that could be a threat for more than a few episodes, unless they got on the ship or followed them with an armada. So, basically, cylons.

A series doesn't need a villain to carry the show. Interpersonal dynamics and on-board developments can be the string that ties it all together, against the backdrop of new planets exploration and occasional hostile species.
              change the word planets to places and species to people and you just described a soap opera. Even Star Trek Voyager had a "central" villain, the Borg. Star trek was never a serialized series though (except the last 2 seasons of DS9). SGU is a serialized series (at least that is what it sounds like).

I will keep on watching SGU, even without a central villain, but I'm not sure that viewers that the series is trying to bring into the franchise will like this (teenagers).

Comment

Lost started off like this, i.e., the Island was the villain. But eventually an antagonist was introduced. I think the same will happen with SGU. As much as I've liked SGU so far, I don't think it could last multiple seasons without a villain. I wouldn't mind it at all if they prove me wrong though. ;-)
                sigpic
                FOX Network

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Tobias View Post
                  To be fair, most modern sci fi shows of late have been cancelled. With that in mind I can understand wanting to do something that differs in certain regards.

Although I wouldn't rule out there being a main villain on SGU just yet, but a more insidious one.
                  How about this for a main villain...a ship full of females out to steal all the mens pants when the Destiny is out of FTL travel

But I think for SGU the greatest villain will be the crews minds...considering what they are going through they are a greater threat to themselves than some random alen...or pants stealing females
                  WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
                  Germany Chiefed Poland.
                  England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
                  England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
                  France got Chiefed.
                  Japan decided to scout America.
                  America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
                  America cut Japan to 90 pop.
                  Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
                  USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
                  Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
                  Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
                  USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
                  Hitler deleted his account...
                  USSR, change their name to Russia...

Comment

Lately, I've fallen on the side of the Central villian, or "Big Bad"; a show needs a big bad, especially an action oriented show like a SG. Sure, you can argue that the "situation" is the big bad, like how the sinking ship was the big bad in Titanic, but I feel that sooner or later, you will be getting your big bad.

I just don't get where this "who would be the big bad? they are traveling to a different galaxy every season" idea comes from. Hell HUMANS have the ability to travel between galaxies by the end of SGA. The Asgard had it, the Ori had ways to do it, and the Wraith worked it out. Also, this show isn't about a ship exploring the new world at the age of discovery on Earth: for all we know, each galaxy has a big, super advanced main culture. All it would take would be some 'star trek' like scans of the ship that seeded the gates, and since you've had a few thousand years, they might be able to recreate the FTL drive.
                    So, long story longer, its possible (and probable) that they will have some sort of reoccuring villian.

Comment

See, when you yourself put the Borg as "central" villains, including the quotation marks...It just proves my point. That show also didn't have a central villain throughout the whole thing. And, as a matter of fact, the emphasis on the Borg and the way they were portrayed are regarded as one of the biggest screw ups that Voyager made.

We might yet have a recurring or even constant enemy(though it would need some really good writing to make it plausible). But the point is it's not needed.

You can't just take "planets" out of the premise. The whole alien exploration thing is a central theme. It's adventure and sci-fi, with the human drama on the ship to tie it all together.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepermint Jaffa View Post
                        Lost started off like this, i.e., the Island was the villain. But eventually an antagonist was introduced.
                        And the whole thing just went to hell...

Comment

Why you think when on this small spaceship villian ? Maybe this is ..... other discoverer or some who seek help or profit.
                          Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
                          SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                            Lately, I've fallen on the side of the Central villian, or "Big Bad"; a show needs a big bad, especially an action oriented show like a SG. Sure, you can argue that the "situation" is the big bad, like how the sinking ship was the big bad in Titanic, but I feel that sooner or later, you will be getting your big bad.

I just don't get where this "who would be the big bad? they are traveling to a different galaxy every season" idea comes from. Hell HUMANS have the ability to travel between galaxies by the end of SGA. The Asgard had it, the Ori had ways to do it, and the Wraith worked it out. Also, this show isn't about a ship exploring the new world at the age of discovery on Earth: for all we know, each galaxy has a big, super advanced main culture. All it would take would be some 'star trek' like scans of the ship that seeded the gates, and since you've had a few thousand years, they might be able to recreate the FTL drive.
                            So, long story longer, its possible (and probable) that they will have some sort of reoccuring villian.
                            And what makes you think SGU is an action-oriented show at all? Not saying it's not, but what if the writers didn't envision action as their main priority?

And I can even buy the whole "galactic civilization thing" - though not even the Goa'uld and Wraith were present in every corner of their respective galaxies. But in order to have a central villain, and not just a recurring one, assuming the show actually lasts a few seasons, then that race would have to span multiple galaxies at the same time. Not even the Ancients managed that.
                            And if the writers go that route, we'll have yet another far too powerful villain that will keep getting defeated by a rag-tag team of humans with inferior technology and numbers, thanks to silly plot devices, deus ex machinas and plot contrivances. Thanks, but no thanks. I hope they stay away from that formula.

Comment

Originally posted by borgfan8of5 View Post
                              I will keep on watching SGU, even without a central villain, but I'm not sure that viewers that the series is trying to bring into the franchise will like this (teenagers).
                              Dude... first off, it sounds like you think teenagers are all 8 year olds who like watching superhero cartoons.

Second of all, the series isn't trying to bring in teenagers, it's trying to bring in young adults. 18-34.

I don't think you understand what people my age like...
                              These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Working...
                              X