No announcement yet.

No DHD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was a question that has been on my mind too. After reading all the previous posts I've got a summaried theory for the missing DHDs.

- To prevent other races from abusing them. Worst thing that can happen is when the Ancients arrive to the galaxy is to discover some sort of evil empire setting up shop on every gated planet. Wrath mark 2.
    - DHDs use physical symbols has something to do with constelations which are different for each galaxy. Since the galaxy has not been entirely explored and charted yet, one wouldn't be able to code in an address for a specific gate with respect to every other gate. Once the seeder ships have fully explored the galaxy then a super map can be created and each planet allocated a unique address. And maybe new symbols.
    - Prototype DHDs, if the seeder ships are spamming these things left right and center, it'll make more sense that they are a cheaper version of the real thing, like less power and no physical DHD. And with less power, the gates can probably only gate to Destiny and its surrounding planets until they are upgraded. (I just came up with a spawn theory why the Destiny locked out the other gates - is because the cheapy versions were falling apart and didn't have enough power to gate back?, ie. one way trip, hence they were locked out)

Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
      Well you think they might have put DHD's there for the races who actually live on these planets to use.
      Not giving them a DHD is rather rude:

"Hi we are the Ancients, our automated ship which just entered your space without permission is going to drop a potentially dangerous device called a Stargate onto your planet whether you want it or not. Oh and by the way, we are not going to give you the means to use it, and will be using teh Stargate to invade you in the Future, Bye!"

How rude!

My only guess would be that DHD's were not invented when the Destiny was sent off?
      They didn't put the gates on those planets for the native populations to use. They put them there for themselves to use to explore the galaxy. It's also entirely possible that a permanent dialing device wasn't even thought up yet. It's possible the remote the Icarus Base team is using was the intended piece of equipment used to dial gates.

Also, you have the risk of letting primitive civilizations using the gate to explore the galaxy and running into problems. You don't want just any civilization exploring. They could end up wiping themselves out. If it's potentially dangerous you don't want just anybody using it, either. Any civilization far enough along to start exploring a galaxy could certainly figure out how to dial a gate without a DHD, after all, Earth did.

Comment

Erm, did the Ancients not consider what might be on the other side when they dial these gates? Somebody might be a little pissed when it finally kaaaaawooooshes and leaves a big hole in whatever it's next to, or worse... whoeve is next to it
        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
          Erm, did the Ancients not consider what might be on the other side when they dial these gates? Somebody might be a little pissed when it finally kaaaaawooooshes and leaves a big hole in whatever it's next to, or worse... whoeve is next to it
          I think you'd be pretty... naive... to stand next to a giant, rotating unknown device, with flashy lights that looks vaguely like a countdown.

The Gates always seem to be placed a short trek away from any populations, probably to prevent this. Minus any population expansion.

I think the only harm we've seen the Gate almost do, is the one time where it was in a Museum in Season 10, that could have been nasty. Or the time when it was outside, and on display as an Ancient monument, where the spectators were gazing at it.

The only real damage is for non-corperal entities- like the Mist & Watergate lifeforms, they seem to be damaged by the kawoosh.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that the gates the seeder ships are dropping don't have any native power source. I suspect they can only be dialed when an Ancient vessel like the Destiny is in range allowing them to draw power remotely. We know that one can gate to the Destiny from incredible distances with the point of origin being unnecessary, you just need enough power. I think that is the safe guard in these gates, that they'll only activate when a ship such as the Destiny is in range. It prevents other races from abusing them and complies with the function of Destiny's mission. If this were the case I think it would make a nice technicality to gating in such alien galaxies.

Comment

Forgot i made this thread :-)

Here is my next issue... what is powering the gates if there is no DHD?

I remember from season 1, the DHD fell in the ocean and they had to use lighting to power the gate....

and again in the prison episode there was no DHD to "power" the gate they used them minerals....

and again in the newer movie Ball needed a device to power/dial the gate....

I can see how Destiny Dials the gate the target gate is powered by the Dialing Gate....

Perhaps the target gate stores some of that power for a while?
              67 point(s) total!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X