Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No DHD?

1st thing i noticed was... no DHD....

So does that mean no other race would be able to access the stargates? They would have to have remotes....

Or maybe future planets will have DHD's who knows :-)
    67 point(s) total!!!!

Earth has been dialing gates without DHD just fine. Any advanced enough civilization would be capable of building their own dialing computer and traveling that way.
    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

I don't think the gates were meant for anyone to just use them, they were just placed so the ancients, who had kinos, would one day venture there and possibly set up settlements or at least check the planet out and see if it was worth keeping a stargate there.
      My guess is that a DHD would be built at that point.

Comment

No DHDs makes sense to me

They werent actually using those gates, so theres no reason to have a DHD
        When they finally decided to start living in that galaxy, and start actively using those gates, thats when DHDs would set up

Comment

Originally posted by Pat1487 View Post

When they finally decided to start living in that galaxy, and start actively using those gates, thats when DHDs would set up
          Well you think they might have put DHD's there for the races who actually live on these planets to use.
          Not giving them a DHD is rather rude:

"Hi we are the Ancients, our automated ship which just entered your space without permission is going to drop a potentially dangerous device called a Stargate onto your planet whether you want it or not. Oh and by the way, we are not going to give you the means to use it, and will be using teh Stargate to invade you in the Future, Bye!"

How rude!

My only guess would be that DHD's were not invented when the Destiny was sent off?
          sigpic
          Banner Made By Me for Me
          The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
            Well you think they might have put DHD's there for the races who actually live on these planets to use.
            Not giving them a DHD is rather rude:

"Hi we are the Ancients, our automated ship which just entered your space without permission is going to drop a potentially dangerous device called a Stargate onto your planet whether you want it or not. Oh and by the way, we are not going to give you the means to use it, and will be using teh Stargate to invade you in the Future, Bye!"

How rude!

My only guess would be that DHD's were not invented when the Destiny was sent off?
            Heh heh, I love your theory...the times they portrayed the Ancients in the other series showed them to be somewhat arrogant , or not terribly interested in other cultures, so perhaps the gate system was never just a vehicle for meeting new people at all...

Comment

LMAO

You have a point, but even if the ancients did give them the DHD would they really be able to figure out how to use it

The ancients never write instruction manuals for anything, ever, they dont even label stuff most of the time

I doubt they were thinking about the intelligent races that may or may not be on every planet that they put stargates on
              I always thought that the ancients only intended for them to use the gates and no one else, since they never include instructions with anything
              I mean if we were to make something for an alien race and leave it on a planet/send it into space for them to find we would include some sort of message on it, at least describing what it is

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralGeorgefan View Post
                Heh heh, I love your theory...the times they portrayed the Ancients in the other series showed them to be somewhat arrogant , or not terribly interested in other cultures, so perhaps the gate system was never just a vehicle for meeting new people at all...
                They are very arrogant, just like the Tok'ra. I don't think I would have liked them as allies. Also its true, apart from the Asgard, Nox and Furlings they seem to have no interest in other races and cultures other than Humans, which are just primitive versions of themselves. Even with their alliance to the Asgard, they never seemed to actually do anything with them.
                The Ancients are a bad people.

LMAO

You have a point, but even if the ancients did give them the DHD would they really be able to figure out how to use it

The ancients never write instruction manuals for anything, ever, they dont even label stuff most of the time
                We figured it out, and we never even had a DHD. Many other human races also figured it out, as did the Wrath and even Goa'uld while still in their Unas hosts. Plus other races such as the Re'tu & Foothold aliens.
                sigpic
                Banner Made By Me for Me
                The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Maybe the seeder ships only dropped stargates on non-technologically advanced planets, thus will not cause conflict among the other races when they venture to this planets. Maybe the seeder ships were used to colonise non-sentient race planets for use by the Ancients later?

Tain

sigpic

Comment

We figured it out, and we never even had a DHD. Many other human races also figured it out, as did the Wrath and even Goa'uld while still in their Unas hosts. Plus other races such as the Re'tu & Foothold aliens.
                    We figured it out by getting to 1 planet
                    We thought that the gate would only connect to that 1 planet

It wasnt until we found the cartouche that we managed to dial other gates, and even then we were limited to the gates that were on that list until we found more lists

We also figured out how to manually dial, if we had the SGA gates, we never wouldve figured out how it worked

Dont ask me how the people in pegasus figured out how to work those gates, the knowledge mustve been passed down or something
                    And the wraith live for 100s of years, and were created by the ancients, so they would know how to use them

Actually, speaking of manual dial, maybe thats why the whole gate spins in SGU, so the people of the planets the gates got sent to would be able to figure out how to manually dial it

Instead of thinking of it as an older model because it spins, maybe the ancients designed it like that on purpose
                    I mean, why not just include a DHD with it, but not including the DHD makes more sense
                    Manual dialing is easier to figure out, if you see a big wheel your first instinct would be to try to spin it
                    The DHD looks extremely complected in comparison to the gate

Although they could just include instructions, would that be so hard

If I think of SGU's gate design to be a choice by the ancients, and not a lack of technology, then id say the gate model order goes like this (from oldest to newest):
                    SG1
                    SGU
                    SGA

And now that i think of it, destiny was dialed using , which means they had to have been on earth when it was launched

Comment

I honestly don't know what the writers are trying to say by leaving out DHDs. I mean the impression I got was that Destiny was part of a beautiful plan to unite the universe with stargates, not drop big circular paperweights on people's heads. Is there really even a point to sending factory ships ahead to plant stargates in that case? Why not just send Destiny out to explore the universe and plant stargates on planets that matter.

The thought that the ancients made the gate spin to make it easier to figure out is interesting but I kinda doubt it. Any race advanced enough to tell a stargate from a pine cone could figure out how to push the buttons.

Comment

Yeah I agree, it looks like they're just planting them for recon only at this point.

Perhaps if settlement was to go ahead they'd replace them with a fully interactive gate such as the MW or PEG gates!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                        : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Based on the past behavior of the Ancients that I have observed in all the Stargate shows and movies, they have learned through trial and error that it is best to be non-interventionist (like the Star Trek non-interference prime directive). It makes more sense to me that they would not want the seeder ships to create DHDs with the seeder gates. This way, the Ancients are the only ones that could control the gates. Notice that the Milky Way and Pegasus gates have constellation symbols (chevrons) on them, but the seeder gates have a different code that has not yet been revealed to us. If the seeder gates had DHDs, it would increase the possibility that immature and savage species would figure out how to connect to other worlds and war with each other. It would also increase the likelihood of accidentally creating more predatory species combinations, like the Go'uld (snake & human/unas) and the Wraith (Iratus bug & human).

I suspect that the seeder ships had at least two sub-criteria for gate placement other than finding planets with livable environments (air, pressure, gravity, temperature, etc.). One is to place gates on planets that at the very least had critical resources required to resupply their exploration ships, like the Destiny (live off the land - so to speak) as they travel. And two was to place gates on planets that were ideal for colonization. Unfortunately, anything can happen to those planets after the seeder gates were deposited, like discovery from advanced space exploring species, or asteroid/comet collisions, or evolution, or any number of other problems, which I assume will be the basis for problems in future episodes.
                          Last edited by AnonyMoose; 20 October 2009, 08:39 PM.
                          There is no spoon...

Comment

Is that iDHD thing is dialing a 9 chevron address every time it's used to dial Destiny? If so, how do the other gates get the needed power?

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                              Is that iDHD thing is dialing a 9 chevron address every time it's used to dial Destiny? If so, how do the other gates get the needed power?
                              Hahhah iDHD...awesome!

Nah I believe that since the Destiny is in a relatively fixed position, the iDHD's simply get sent the updated PoO reference and it simply dials a 7 chevron gate address as normal.

IMO!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                              : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Working...
                              X