Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Songs on SGU - Good or Bad?

At the end of "Air, Part 3," Joel Goldsmith's soundtrack switched to a contemporary song, one which certainly meshed well with the theme of needing air to survive. I have mixed feelings on this departure from the Stargate norm, but what do you think; should the show start using modern songs that would be played on the radio?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Default Re: Songs on SGU - Good or Bad?

my only issue with some of the music in air pt 3 is that it reminded me of firefly. i want the sounds and themes we heard in air 1 & 2

I have no problem with it if the music fits the scene. I liked the music while they were scrambling for the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    my only issue with some of the music in air pt 3 is that it reminded me of firefly. i want the sounds and themes we heard in air 1 & 2
    I was loving the new theme Joel had going, and while I didn't dislike the song and thought it fit in nicely, the age-old Stargate fan in me wants to be angry with the producers for changing the music to something every teen show does today; close with a contemporary song that fits the mood.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Major General

I actually liked it and thought it was very appropraite...

Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    I was loving the new theme Joel had going, and while I didn't dislike the song and thought it fit in nicely, the age-old Stargate fan in me wants to be angry with the producers for changing the music to something every teen show does today; close with a contemporary song that fits the mood.
    I see your POV however I disagree. I too felt it fit the scene and thought it was done well and like the "New Stargate" as much if not more than the old. Oh BTW is it me or is the forum going wonky again.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell82 View Post
    I see your POV however I disagree. I too felt it fit the scene and thought it was done well and like the "New Stargate" as much if not more than the old. Oh BTW is it me or is the forum going wonky again.
    Yes, yes it is xD

Yes, yes it is xD
    Somebody needs to fire the server maintenance guy.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

I really disliked that. It actually took me out of the action, which, to be fair, wasn't hard, I didn't feel very involved, while I notived how bad that was. Bad and loud. It was obtrusive and very, very unsubtle.

It was okay but I really liked the music when Scott and Greer were racing to the gate
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

It was okay but I really liked the music when Scott and Greer were racing to the gate
    I tend not to notice music if it's really right, if it fits in perfectly. It enhances the action and mood without making you notice it, which is what all the music did right up until that sond at the end. It was about as subtle as a brick.

Probie

I have rather mixed feelings as well about the modern song at the end of "Air" part 3...I absollutely LOVE Joel Goldsmith's soundtracks for SG-1 (especially seasons 9 &10) and SGA and like what he has done so far with SGU BUT....I'm not so sure about them choosing to play a song instead of Goldsmith's music...I for one...would choose Goldsmith every time!

For me honestly I loved it, in every way i loved it. I have loved my stargate since the original movie and to be honest i really like this reinvented perspective that SGU is becoming.

The song was awesome, and i thought beautifully integrated. The song begins playing and and you get taken through the ship as you see that the co2 scrubbers are working with the limestone they brought back. The air starts moving and and you get to see the relief on everyone's face as they feel the fresh air blowing in.

I think the part that made the song click into place for me was when you see Col. Young and the sigh of relief on his face, that look of "we might just get out of this after all". The part of the song that was playing then at that very moment the thought going through my mind was "this is beautiful, its so human and perfect in every way".

I love this new stargate, and while I am willing to say i would give a kidney for my SGA back and a lung and part of my liver for SG-1, im not so sure i would be willing to give SGU up for either, at least not yet. It has sparked my feeling and interest for the characters enough at this point that for now I'm hooked.

And for those of you that say it wasn't an interesting episode i think you have gotten to used to the established show and characters that were SG-1 and SGA.

SGA had a great 1st season opener sure, but they also had a bad guy pretty much right off the bat. That helps a lot.

But think about the first few episodes of SG-1, i mean come on. Episode 3 for SG-1 i believe was Emancipation, ok so it had the bad guy from the first Mortal Kombat movie for those of us that were young enough at the time to enjoy that. but whatever lol. taking it in now the whole episode was pretty much about how Carter was butt hurt over the fact that in other cultures women aren't treated like they are in the good old USA. Wow that's deep lawl...

"I am Super Carter and I hate womanizers, I will use my lvl 3 advanced hand to hand combat skillz to kick the sh** out of Shang Tsung.."

just give it time im sure it will pick up more to your liking.

now i just wonder if anyone will read this essay i have just written.

GateWorld feel free to hire me......
    Last edited by archangel2187; October 9th, 2009 at 08:48 PM.

When I first heard the song, it definitely stood out as something that should not have been there, keeping with what we've usually had with Stargate episodes. However I do think the song's theme and lyrics fit in really well with the episode. I'd be happy with limiting each episode to just one song like this as opposed to every other show that throws in music from some band every 5 minutes or if something emotional happens.

now i just wonder if anyone will read this essay i have just written.
    I read it! I enjoy your enthusiasm, and I wish, I wish, I wish, I felt the same way. That's exactly how I want to feel, but... Well, if you read mine, you know how I feel. (Oops, never mind-that was in the discussion thread) I just...don't like them much. Not writing it off, though, I'm going to watch the whole year, and hope that it starts to grab me. I really want to like it. I'm afraid it just might not be my kind of show, though.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade View Post
    When I first heard the song, it definitely stood out as something that should not have been there, keeping with what we've usually had with Stargate episodes. However I do think the song's theme and lyrics fit in really well with the episode. I'd be happy with limiting each episode to just one song like this as opposed to every other show that throws in music from some band every 5 minutes or if something emotional happens.
    But songs like that can really make a scene shine if it's picked right. House is a perfect example of where contemporary music is used to amazing results.

Scrubs is another fine example of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoCzJmPuo1I
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

At the end of "Air, Part 3," Joel Goldsmith's soundtrack switched to a contemporary song, one which certainly meshed well with the theme of needing air to survive. I have mixed feelings on this departure from the Stargate norm, but what do you think; should the show start using modern songs that would be played on the radio?
    It's OK if they use contemporary music, with the proviso it is not of the "pop" genre. The term "....played on the radio", which station? A station that plays metal? Punk rock? Hardcore rock? Jazz? Techno? Pop? Better if they pick fast-paced, action-y type music. Heightens anticipation, makes you really feel that time is running out. Personally, I hated the music you're referring to in this episode. It really broke the pacing.

Goldsmith's music in this episode was very cool, then that song kicked in and I thought, WTF is THAT? Yuck. Didn't fit at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    But songs like that can really make a scene shine if it's picked right. House is a perfect example of where contemporary music is used to amazing results.

Scrubs is another fine example of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoCzJmPuo1I
    Yes, Grey's Anatomy and Smallville do the same thing, but shows like that have been doing it from episode 1. It's something that doesn't stand out because it's normal.

I know that SGU wants to different, but after 300 episodes of Stargate things like that just don't... fit in, for lack of a better word. Air has 3 parts, but ultimately only used 1 contemporary song. A lot of other shows can use 2 or 3 songs so I think that if a song must be used, having a lot of restrictions on it.

ok so i loved the link that was given for the scurbs episode as an example, and like he said house is also a great example of this.

Now while i know that smallville has a reputation for being that show that was described that throws music in every 5 min, there exist times when it through out a pure gem....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPxm_iwHU5Q
    this being what i think is one of the best examples of music used in this way. and also one of the most beautiful and saddest moments on tv that i can remember..
    I'm a 28 year old man and i got teary at this one.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast