Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venom - News/Discussion/Speculation

Writers confirm a Spider-Man Venom spinoff is in the works

Sony is officially moving forward with its Spider-Man spinoff movie focusing on Venom and has hired Zombieland writing team Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese to pen the script, the writers told a group of reporters.

"We had a really great relationship with Sony on [Zombieland], and so that was a nice in for us there," Reese said in a group interview. "It gave us a leg up."

The duo is already working on the script, but they are sworn to secrecy on the details. "We're under strict orders on Venom," Wernick said. "We can't talk about it. It's just super secret."

Unlike Spider-Man director Sam Raimi, who has admitted that he wasn't a Venom fan before directing Spider-Man 3, Wernick and Reese said they are big fans of the comic character and have recently been doing their research to ensure that they do justice to him. "We read [Venom] growing up, but we were not experts," Reese said. "We certainly know the mythology of Venom, but went back and learned more when it became clear that we could actually get this job."

Ultimately, the writing team has fan interest at heart, they said. Even as they are just getting started on the script, they admit fan scrutiny is on their minds. "Absolutely, I'm terrified," Reese said with a nervous laugh. "It's source material that everybody knows and everybody's familiar with and everybody loves. There's a burden on you to meet the expectations of people. A lot of people are curious about Venom."

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/writers...-a-spider-.php

Gary Ross tapped for 'Venom' movie

Gary Ross will write and potentially direct Sony's Spider-Man spinoff Venom.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Ross is taking over scripting duties from Zombieland pair Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick and is eyeing the movie to direct.

Topher Grace portrayed Venom in Spider-Man 3 but it is unclear if he will return for the spinoff. The character first appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man #299 in March 1988 as an alien parasite that takes over Peter Parker's Daily Bugle rival Eddie Brock.

Ross has previously worked with Spider-Man star Tobey Maguire on Seabiscuit and Pleasantville. He is also scripting Spider-Man 4 for Sony.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...nom-movie.html

Venom Movie to Feature "Defender of the Innocent"

Variety reports that the movie will transform Venom into “an anti-hero who becomes a defender of the innocent.”

The news appears to confirm what many have been hoping for, that the 'Venom' movie will feature the '90s era comic book 'Venom' in which the character was cast a "Lethal Protector."

Since the new movie is starting “from the drawing board," it’s not certain whether Topher Grace will reprise his role as Venom’s alter-ego, Eddie Brock and whether the events of Spider-Man 3 will either be explained or ignored.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=10769

The EXTREME Nineties.

Mmmh, doesn't sound that great. Half the film will probably comprise of Brock fighting against the symbiotes' desire to kill everything. And he's not exactly a sympathetic character, we'll basically be rooting for anti-villain against villain.

Although, if the enemy is Carnage, it'll make for a hell of a fight.

Also, calling it now that the Symbiote survives, and recreates Brock from some leftover DNA/ mental link. And Eddie wonders if he's actually himself, or just the Symbiote who thinks it's him.

Comment

Sounds like a bad idea for a movie to me.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Teaser trailer

Comment

Wow, that is a bland, awful, generic trailer. Sony really sucks at this.

They may as well have just released this:

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I don't quite know what rumours are out there, but I've heard a few stating, quite clearly, that this isn't remotely tied to the MCU, and if that is the case, it's going to fail - just another film for the sake of making a film, and it wont draw in the larger MCU fanbase.

I don't personally see why we needed a Venom film, but I guess there was some amount of call for it? Needless to say, I'm not really bothered about it at this point. Should have been a Spidey villain (again).
            sigpic

Comment

I guess we know what Bane would look like on Venom.

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this.

It's not an objectively good movie but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a fun ride. This movie is like candy. The villain, the characters, they all just exist to keep the plot chugging along. They're not good but they're not bad. They're serviceable but nothing more than that. In a way I have to appreciate that. The movie doesn't try to be more than it is capable of. You have the villain, you have a villainous motivation. The love interest is also serviceable.

But Venom on the other hand.

If you were hoping for a dark anti-hero movie, you'll be disappointed in that aspect (I mean c'mon. "The World has enough heroes". That would've been so cool to see a dark anti-hero movie). Venom was a hero. Some of the youtube reviewers say he only killed like three people. I disagree. I ate the heads of like three people but there is no way a person could survive some of the stuff done.

In the trailers, the humor was conflicting. They tried to portray a dark movie while giving slapstick humor. So, since the movie isn't all that dark, the humor works. And it wasn't as slapsticky as the trailer showed. I found myself chuckling more than a few times. The Venom Eddie dynamic is funny.

Couldn't really flow into this one but it does have a bit of a pacing issue. You look at the other marvel movies, they often pause between acts. Venom, once it goes, it goes.

Objectively I give it a C, a 6-7.
              Subjectively, I give it a B, an 8.

Eddie: *Looks out the skyscraper window*
              Venom: Jump.
              Eddie: *Takes elevator*
              Venom: Pussy.
              Last edited by StargateMillennium; 11 October 2018, 09:35 PM.

sigpic
              Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
              https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...on-Speculation
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Oh, so that's where this is. I was wondering about the lack of MCU threads.

sigpic
                  Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Its slow to start, but once Venom comes in, its enjoyable.

Probably could have done with being R rated but for what it is, its pretty good. Better than I thought it would be but tbh, Tom Hardy always kills it.

Random post credit scene though...

Comment

Anyone seen Let There Be Carnage?

Comment

Working...
                      X