This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is happening with Earth's fleet?

In some episodes they say they are mining naquadia for the ship yet alone we have not seen another ship except for Promethus (spelt wrong). I have read in other places they are building another ship but does it take this long. Also we have not seen the Promethus in a major battle except for Lost City Part 2 but that was against some Gliders and bombers.

Another thing is that if Promethus is supossed to have Asgard weapons and shielding it could barley take those bombers and gliders and its a size of a bomber so God help it if it can take on a Ha'tak (goa'uld mothership)

Another opinions

Originally posted by Lord Anubis
    thing is that if Promethus is supossed to have Asgard weapons and shielding it could barley take those bombers and gliders and its a size of a bomber so God help it if it can take on a Ha'tak (goa'uld mothership)

Another opinions
    I think the Prometheus wasn't 'the best' against those bombers/gliders/etc because they were from Anubis, who in which also has advanced weaponry/shields, as strong or maybe stronger than the Asgards. Or thats what we were lead to believe.
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Anubis
      In some episodes they say they are mining naquadia for the ship yet alone we have not seen another ship except for Promethus (spelt wrong). I have read in other places they are building another ship but does it take this long. Also we have not seen the Promethus in a major battle except for Lost City Part 2 but that was against some Gliders and bombers.

Another thing is that if Promethus is supossed to have Asgard weapons and shielding it could barley take those bombers and gliders and its a size of a bomber so God help it if it can take on a Ha'tak (goa'uld mothership)

Another opinions
      The Asgard had an encounter with Anubis and 2 of their ships were destroyed as well as Thor being caught, Anubis' Motherships had shield tech that Asgard weapons could not penetrate. And Prometheus was only damaged when it went up into space to attack the motherships where it was nearly destroyed.
      'Where did you get this'- Wraith Queen
      'I don't remember'- Major Sheppard - Rising (part 2)

'I don’t know if you noticed or not, but I’m an extremely arrogant man who tends to think all of his plans will work.' - McKay - The Eye

Comment

i personally yhink that they are in the proccess of building more shops like the prometheous but who knows. mabey they are going to make the adventures of the prometheous into a totaly different TV show
        sigpic

Comment

"The Seige" (Atlantis, Season One)
          Spoiler:
          Earth's new BC-303, Daedalus will reach Pegasus Galaxy in an attempt to defend the city.
          Rocky

Comment

The Prommie didn't do half bad in TLC, cxoncisdering it was working from an Al'Kesh reactor (source: Grace)
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

Another thing to consider would be that maybe the Air Force is thinking small vs big. Maybe they decided that a large fleet of 302's is overall better than a small group of 303's. I don't have any evidence to back this up but im betting its much easier to power and equip a bunch of 302's is all.
              "I know of a place were humans do battle in a ring of Jell-o." -T

"Call Daniel" O'n

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                The Prommie didn't do half bad in TLC, cxoncisdering it was working from an Al'Kesh reactor (source: Grace)
                That was the hyperspace reactor, I doubt it was powering the weapons and shields.

The Prometheus is a warship, and those take plenty of time to build. Modern aircraft carriers take several years to complete, IIRC. Add in the fact that the Prometheus was the first space warship they had built, and it's amazing that it was designed, built, and moved into service so quickly.

After building a ship like that, the designers and builders would take what they learned and apply it to design an improved ship and build it faster than the first. I'm thinking that the next battlecruiser we see will only bear a vague resemblance to the Prometheus.

I think that the best comparison (and I've used it in a few other threads) is the birth of aircraft carriers in the early 20th century. The US Navy built eight carriers in six different classes (four one of a kinds, two runs of two) before they finally settled on the Essex class at the outbreak of WWII. Even today, they still operate two one of a kind carriers.

But it's looking like we'll have to wait for Atlantis' finale to see what will happen in the Stargate universe.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzimo
                  Another thing to consider would be that maybe the Air Force is thinking small vs big. Maybe they decided that a large fleet of 302's is overall better than a small group of 303's. I don't have any evidence to back this up but im betting its much easier to power and equip a bunch of 302's is all.
                  Sounds like what's going on at the pentagon in real time. Faster & lighter vs big & bulky. (Just a thought)

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I'm pretty sure that earth is working on another ship. Outside the X-302 fleet, the Prometheus, and the Gao'uld cargo ship, we have no other ships. The Prometheus will always be a work in progress (since I'm assuming that they're gonna keep upgrading it as time passes and technology improves). The Gao'uld cargo ship is in pretty sorry shape for the most part. (It's practically at the point where duct tape and glue are holding it together - but it has been repaired enough to the point where it is reasonably functional). The X-302 fleet is pretty solid, but we will be upgrading it as well, for the same reasons given for Prometheus. But in due time, newer and better ships will be built (for the same reason the US military builds new stuff today). So it's ineveitable that new ships are gonna be built. It's just a matter of when.

Comment

The asgard ship didn't try to destroy Anubis ship. At least one of them has been destroyed but Anubis didn't fire to the other 2 one, cause the asgard had more power source in these new ship. The key to have the ebst weapon is to have the biggest power source. So even if we have the asgard weapon, are power capability are limited. we can only fire "mini-shot" don't forget an asgard ship take a while to load their weapon and they have 3 power device in each of their ship (If I remember correctly) and each one is more powerfull than ours ! So it's normal we can't destroy a goa'uld mothership, yet. With the ion power device we studied in season 7 space Race, we probably have made major improvement in our tech.
                      Spoiler:
                      in deed the asgard helped us to build new hyper-drive engine

Indeed we are probably building a new ship. And Prometheus can't go very further with ba'al who command most of our galaxy, a goa'uld ship didn't even mannage to reach our planet in SG-1 first episode so ... Watch the Prometheus Unbound tomorow to see more prometheus thing
                      - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
                      - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
                      - The Nox

Comment

Prometheus=Prototype
                        As someone else said, lessons will be learned from it's development and operation and incorporated in forthcoming vessels.
                        The F-302 seem to kickass but they need an energy weapon or something similar with more persistance to augament the missiles. I also hope they perfect the O'Neill maneuvre.
                        And are we going to see a Kuznetsov-class ship, Russians in space

p.s. where are people getting this two Asgard ships destroyed nonsense? Only one was destroyed; Thor's ship. Three advanced ones showed up at the end and Anubis fled without any exchange of fire.
                        Hey, if you'd been listening, you'd know that Nintendo's pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                          "The Seige" (Atlantis, Season One)
                          Spoiler:
                          Earth's new BC-303, Daedalus will reach Pegasus Galaxy in an attempt to defend the city.
                          That is so cool. I'm liking the name they picked for that. I like the mythological aspects in the name. Makes it sound so... grand and idealistic.

The idea of Earth having a fleet of ships capable of protecting it is beyond cool, but wouldn't people be able to see them with telescopes?

Comment

a spin-off cg series would be nice based on the adventures of the prommy, slap a stargate on the ship and give it a prefix stargate!
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

the reason i came to the forum and it seems its already been discussed...i should have known better.
                              any way, i was thinking, perhaps they re name the promethious to the deadilus (sp on both) because of its new upgrades ?! just a thought. it would suck if thats what does happen..im well eager to see a newer + bigger earth ship.

The alternative to that is the ship that earth recovered from episode 605 "Nightwalkers"..which they could have finished and got ready..the downside to that is:

1) where did the hyperdrive come from
                              2) where did the weapons and shields come from

infact..if the deadilus (sp once again) is a different ship to the promethious (sp once again) where did all that come from..from what i know, thor had to ask the council for a hyperdrive for the promethious..its not like they are going to be giving a fleets worth away ?!
                              ARRRG so many qustions!!
                              Nexus

Comment

Working...
                              X