This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny gate address 7,8,9 chervon? Spoiler & spec

This is just something that came to mind last night, Perhaps the 9th chevron allows for dialing a moving gate? A gate in hyperspace or something of the sorts? The first seven as usual are the address, with the 8th for denoting the galaxy its in... and the extra chevron has extra power requirements on top of what the 8th needs... in order to maintain wormhole as its moving, it would certainly explain how they are the able to gate the Destiny if its moving and constantly changing place, without going against previous Stargate continuity (that a gate will need to calibrated to its specific point in space, which gives it a new address) . There are a few holes there but you get the basic concept...

And Dr. Rush works out the address for the destiny after all this time (perhaps he found something in the Atlantis database) and thats the reason that they have to go through the gate there and then cos otherwise the address would change and for some reason, Rush fears he may not be able to work it out for a second time? (Maybe he got lucky the first time and he knows this)

This would also explain why earth can't redial it cos only rush knows how, and even with communication with Earth they might not have the power to dial it, or be able to work it out for a second time without Rush's original work which may have been lost when the Icarus base was destroyed...

It would also open up the use of the 9th chevron for other things aside from dialing the destiny.....

Now this is purely all my own speculation but I think this all fits in nicely.....
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Interesting. Initially, I don't see any reason why this couldn't be the case. It also fits with the idea of maybe needing Eli's help, because:

Spoiler:
    Didn't they put some sort of complex math problem in the game, hoping someone would solve it? Consequentially, this could be similar to the type of math that they are trying to solve to dial the 9th chevron...or something along those lines.

Interesting idea. I'm really excited to get some answers in October
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
      Interesting. Initially, I don't see any reason why this couldn't be the case. It also fits with the idea of maybe needing Eli's help, because:

Spoiler:
      Didn't they put some sort of complex math problem in the game, hoping someone would solve it? Consequentially, this could be similar to the type of math that they are trying to solve to dial the 9th chevron...or something along those lines.

Interesting idea. I'm really excited to get some answers in October
      Indeed....

Almost 200 views and only 1 reply and no green, dang nam it!

Comment

I agree with the fact the 9th chevron probably is for moving gates, BUT I dont agree with the other 2 facts.
        1st: If only Rush knows the address, he can be ordered to give it, as a matter of fact, they have intergalactic communication using the communication stones.
        2nd: I dont see a problem for the energy needed to dial, at this point, we do have the knowledge for some techniques and the expertise for the others as follows:

a. Power the gate using a black hole.
        b. Power the gate in a Volcanic planet (ala Ancient Outpost)
        c. Power the gate with several ZPMs hooked to it.
        d. Power the gate in the same way it was powered in Icarus base.

I am thinking around and the only possible explanation I see to not be able to dial again the Destiny is the need for a crystal control attached to the DHD in the dialing gate. Just like the one in Atlantis which enables their gate dial earth.
        If the attach is powerful enough, the DHD in Icarus base can be destroyed and the crystal along with it.

Comment

Originally posted by glozano View Post
          I agree with the fact the 9th chevron probably is for moving gates, BUT I dont agree with the other 2 facts.
          1st: If only Rush knows the address, he can be ordered to give it, as a matter of fact, they have intergalactic communication using the communication stones.
          2nd: I dont see a problem for the energy needed to dial, at this point, we do have the knowledge for some techniques and the expertise for the others as follows:

a. Power the gate using a black hole.
          b. Power the gate in a Volcanic planet (ala Ancient Outpost)
          c. Power the gate with several ZPMs hooked to it.
          d. Power the gate in the same way it was powered in Icarus base.

I am thinking around and the only possible explanation I see to not be able to dial again the Destiny is the need for a crystal control attached to the DHD in the dialing gate. Just like the one in Atlantis which enables their gate dial earth.
          If the attach is powerful enough, the DHD in Icarus base can be destroyed and the crystal along with it.
          I meant that only rush knew how to figure it out (I made that pretty clear in the OP), that the address is different every time that the ship stops, and just like Rodney couldn't figure out his sisters work, Rush is needed to work this out.. this could be done in any number of ways

And I know all of that about the power, but blackholes come with a host of serious problems, volcanoes fair enough, but again not a hugely reliable power supply and since when do we have several ZPMs just lying around? I would think one would be enough to dial the destiny, I was just pointing out that power would be another requirement is all..

Comment

See whereas I'm thinking that dialing a moving gate is still impossible. I'm thinking that the reason they are having so much difficulty connecting with the Destiny gate is that it is moving. In the heat of the moment (when Icarus is under attack), Rush tries one last time...and it actually works! It works because the Destiny is in stationary orbit over a planet. There is a dispute, then they go through. One of the trailers shows Rush arguing about whether or not they should go through the gate when Icarus is under attack.
            Otherwise, think about it: if the 9th chevron allows them to dial a moving gate, how would they dial a moving gate in the Milky Way, skip the 8th chevron? Also, wouldn't being able to dial a moving gate would be too convenient for us to have? We could just keep a gate on every ship we have, and if we need to get somewhere ASAP, just gate to the nearest ship? Seems too good to be true to me.

Comment

Has anyone else thought Icarus base is an abandoned Ancient facility and the 'Icarus base' is our like base around it. Plus the gate there is 'special' and the only one able to dail Destiny. So thats why when the planet explodes there is no way to dail Destiny again.

Comment

Sorry forgot to put a Spoiler tag up.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM569 View Post
                  Otherwise, think about it: if the 9th chevron allows them to dial a moving gate, how would they dial a moving gate in the Milky Way, skip the 8th chevron? Also, wouldn't being able to dial a moving gate would be too convenient for us to have? We could just keep a gate on every ship we have, and if we need to get somewhere ASAP, just gate to the nearest ship? Seems too good to be true to me.
                  Easy.... is a galaxy PoO, if you get my drift, that there is a symbol for your home galaxy,

and as for being too convienent, make it so that the complications are incredible complex, the kind that it would take Carter and/or McKay weeks and weeks and weeks to do, and would have to redone for every say 100 light years or something.... For a ship at hyperdrive isn't a massive distance in Stargate continuity.

Comment

Good points. It all seems pretty logical and well thought out.

But one thing that has always bugged me with the gate system is in relation to the below quote...

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                    (that a gate will need to calibrated to its specific point in space, which gives it a new address)
                    From my understanding, gates are moved around the galaxy all the time (and the Goauld had one on a ship as well). How the frak is that explained???
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                      Good points. It all seems pretty logical and well thought out.

But one thing that has always bugged me with the gate system is in relation to the below quote...

From my understanding, gates are moved around the galaxy all the time (and the Goauld had one on a ship as well). How the frak is that explained???
                      Given what Baal could do with a DHD there is no reason to think that most other gould don't have some understanding of using DHDs (Rodney knew how to update gates, he said so when atlantis was moved the first time..)
                      or perhaps the gate eventually does its auto update thing to solve it if the gate has been there for long enough...

Comment

This is just something that came to mind last night, Perhaps the 9th chevron allows for dialing a moving gate? A gate in hyperspace or something of the sorts? The first seven as usual are the address, with the 8th for denoting the galaxy its in... and the extra chevron has extra power requirements on top of what the 8th needs... in order to maintain wormhole as its moving, it would certainly explain how they are the able to gate the Destiny if its moving and constantly changing place, without going against previous Stargate continuity (that a gate will need to calibrated to its specific point in space, which gives it a new address) . There are a few holes there but you get the basic concept...
                        I'm going to have to say that I strongly disagree with this. Spoilers ahoy!

Spoiler:
                        Firstly, if the ninth chevron is just something that is tacked onto a seven-chevron or eight-chevron address, then there is absolutely no conceivable way that it could be used to reach the Destiny: we know from the Comic Con trailer that the Destiny is well over a billion light-years away. That means that, even if each eight-chevron address represents a whole galaxy, the Destiny is still too far away to reach using an eight-chevron address.

It gets even worse if the eighth chevron is just a "galaxy code." In that case, its maximum range would be limited to a few million light-years, as the Local Group (the group of galaxies which includes the Milky Way) contains nearly 40 galaxies; since the Stargate has only 39 symbols, that means that it can't even cover all the galaxies in the local group, which is only a few million light-years across - barely a thousandth of the distance to the Destiny.

Easy.... is a galaxy PoO, if you get my drift, that there is a symbol for your home galaxy
                        1. We have seen no indication that any symbol on the Stargate serves as the "galaxy code" for that Stargate's home galaxy; nor, in fact, any evidence that the eighth chevron is a "galaxy code." Carter referred to it as an "extra distance calculation" when it was first used, which could really mean anything; for example, each eight-chevron address could represent a whole galaxy, instead of just a planet.

2. Setting aside the question of what symbol would be encoded into the eighth chevron, there is the slightly more pressing issue of which symbol would be dialed into the ninth chevron.
                        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Given what Baal could do with a DHD there is no reason to think that most other gould don't have some understanding of using DHDs (Rodney knew how to update gates, he said so when atlantis was moved the first time..)
                          or perhaps the gate eventually does its auto update thing to solve it if the gate has been there for long enough...
                          Yeah good point. But it does mean that eventually the whole principle of the dialling system (i.e that the symbols represent the constellations and its physical location in space and all that) is kind of pointless given they can be moved around and that due to the planetary drift thing, they will all move around anyway.
                          sigpic

Comment

Do we even know that the Destiny is moving? I never heard it was. It was supposed to be manned and follow the path the seeding ship used. With out people on it, it could just be waiting in it's parking spot some where. I know in other threads it has be talked about it being in one place. Did something change?

Comment

The 9th chevron is a backdoor. Theres only one address which is in fact a "password", it gets you through the "developers" gate, a reprogrammable gate, like on the destiny. Doesnt matter where in the Universe it is, as long as its not moving much to get a lock.

Now that means there could be thousands of other devgates around... dun dun DUN.

Comment

Working...
                              X