thats like saying the b14 was the best warplane of all time
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by _Famrir_ View Post
      thats like saying the b14 was the best warplane of all time
      it isn't the B-24 was.
      http://epsilon.astroempires.com/?ref=E.94116

Comment

Na.. The Maruader B25, and the B17 flying fortress did it for me!

Comment

i agree the al-kesh can be better but a bomber is necessary to support ground attack even if the only way you can really hit the target or the enemy( i refer to lost city pt1 where an al kesh bombs empty ruins far away from the sg teams at the gate) is to carpet bomb and saturate the area which would take many al kesh to achieve. The Hatak will always remain the backbone of the system lords....and im pretty sure those blue bombs were actually the first attempt of al kesh bombs since that was the first ep. that showed the al kesh not different or stronger ones im just guessing the writers changed their mind on blue bombs
          sigpicWELCOME TO END OF THE WORLD.....IM AM OZZYMANDIAS KING OF KINGS LOOK UPON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY AND DESPAIR

Comment

Their best ship is probably the cargo ship. It's small, hyperspace capable, has a cloaking device and seems simple enough to produce that it can be made in considerable quantity.

It also doesn't suffer from stupid hybrid disease like "bomber + troop transport", "carrier + battleship" or "fighter + coffin"

It just carries things in a stealthy way and doesn't have weapons to prevent the Jaffa morons flying it from getting any stupid ideas.

Comment

The Alkesh was rather weak, but I think that's because the Go'uld never knew what they wanted to due with their fighter craft. But it could be armed with more powerful naquada bombs and it was more mobile than a Hatak. Right now, we have a Stargate universe with two over-the-top ship destroyers. Drones and beam weapons. They both go for the ship's reactor to make it pop. It just seems as if a fleet of Alkesh may have been able to dodge the beam weapons where as we saw the horribly pathetic results of Hataks taking on beam weapon equipped ships.

It also doesn't excuse earth forces in Camelot for not expecting Ori ships with beam weapons. We knew that the Ori fleets were coming and the Prometheus was devastated by a beam weapon. We should have equipped F302s with our highest yield bombs and let the Odyssey make drop off courier runs of our bomber fleet. No Milky way capital ship should have been near the vicinity of a beam weapon equipped ship. It's just stupid.

Comment

What you wrote:
                Originally posted by Lord Pink View Post
                "The Al�kesh spaceship is a powerful Goa'uld medium-range bomber and troop carrier used in area bombardments of planetary surfaces, designed to support invasions of planets by System Lords. It is larger than the Tel'tak scout ship and Death Glider, yet much smaller than the Ha'tak mothership." - Stargate Wika
                What Wikia actually says:
                "Wibbily woobily woo woo floop flippy flang google" - Stargate Losia
                In closing, Wikia sucks and shoudl not be used as a reference.

Comment

Thing about the Al'kesh is that reality isn't like a C&C game where you can build 50 of the same type of thing and win. For the Al'kesh to be successfull on large scale engagements it needs to be fielded in decent numbers along with extensive support from death glider fighters and they need ha'tak motherships as a base of operations.

Otherwise it would be the same as trying to fight Desert Storm with nothing but Bradlys and leaving your Abrams battle tanks and supporting infantry at home.

You can admit that, pound for pound, the Al'kesh is the most effective and hardest working, but it would never be able to take that place without all the other vessels in the fleet. They're a pretty large gear in the mashine, but they will only ever be that one gear.
                  sigpic
                  Weapons At Maximum!

Comment

Agreed.. seeing as how easy some of those alkesh's were brought down by 302's in Lost city, they DO need glider support.

Comment

If I got the Al'kesh from Continuum, equipped with pulse wave tech, I would be very happy. Al'kesh are pretty good ships if they have shields.
                      sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

I am wondering WHEN they were upgraded to have shields..

Comment

Well, the best version of the Alkesh we have seen (the one Teal'c uses in Continuum) has shields, which makes F-302's unable to take it down (their weapons don't hold a candle to shields and even the CIWS armament on an BC-304 would be hard pressed to take such an Alkesh out (the railguns also aren't good at chewing through shields!)), but the Alkesh still is not a very good ship (sure with shields it doesn't need to drop its bombs outside of the range of AA-Weapons (it can soak up the enemy fire), but against another ship its weapons still don't work well, that turret would make even Prometheus laugh (after Asgard-Shields were installed), same for the bombs!)

So over all? You need to install shields on all of them, give them Asgard-Beaming-Technology (the ship the Trust used had that!) and install a harder hitting weapon (how about a single Asgard-Plasma-Beam? This way a Wolfpack of Alkesh can take on larger ships!) and longer range bombs (why risk enemy fire, even if you can soak it up, when you don't have to?)

Otherwise it's not a bad ship...ok, I would do one additional thing: Move the damned command-bridge (why would anybody build a spaceship with a freaking exposed bridge? Hell, Teal'c showed us how stupid that is when he blasted Tanith with his Staff-Cannon (the one the removed from a downed glider!)) deeper inside the ship and install more doors so that a single hit doesn't depressurise the whole thing!

Still, I'd use it more for spying than for actual fighting (unless I could procure said upgrades - an APBW, beaming-tech, sensors (so that you don't need pesky locators for your beaming tech) and most importantly: Shields!)...they are invaluable as scouts for intelligence gathering, especially since they have more endurance than scout-ships (which don't even seem to have toilets or cabins for the crew, not to mention a shower or a messhall!) and they can embark small strike-forces (land them cloaked or even ring them down because almost all Goa'uld strongholds have rings!)

greetings LAX
                          ps: Still, I'd even take the oldest Alkesh you can find (as long as it works reliably and can cloak!), because having a spaceship would be an absolute dream

Comment

Working...
                          X