General Hammond ship sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schony View Post
    I just have to point out something regarding the Asgard Beam Weapons. Has anyone noticed that any of our ships only carry two of these things mounted to either side of the bow? The only ship that was ever shown to carry more was the Odyssey, and the only time Odyssey ever used them was in Unending, and I'd have to go back and look but I think Odyssey had somewhere between 4 and 8 of them. So, let's make some assumptions.

1. Asgard beaming technology has some limitations and they can't simply replicate Asgard Beams at will.

2. Like the Tollan Ion cannons, having the blueprints to build something, and being able to build it are two very different things.

So, what if Odyssey came full of Asgard Tech, but we can't actually build the Asgard Beams yet? I'm thinking they actually removed the weapons from Odyssey, and installed two each on Deadalus, Apollo, and Sun-Tzu. So....it could be the Hammond has none because we still can't manage to build them from scratch ourselves. And if Odyssey had let's say 6 of them, then putting two on each of the aforementioned ships would have used them all. In a way that would make sense because with the Asgard core, you wouldn't want to send Odyssey into battle if you didn't have to, and besides that having 3 less valuable ships each equipped with two beams would be far more practical than just having the one uber-ship.

Of course, an explanation in the show would eliminate any confusion, but short of that, this makes sense to me.
    u have som good points, the asgard r more advanced then the tollen, so that makes sense. BUt i think the asgard core wood have been removed 4 safety. And what about the transporter tech? that is reverse watever -able
    The battle for the ultimate SG team: who will it be?

sigpic

Comment

This thread saddens me....

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
        Why the hell is it the GENERAL Hammond though? That goes against all previous naming conventions by the US military.
        I thought they renamed it to George Hammond, which is more in line with naming conventions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad View Post
          I thought they renamed it to George Hammond, which is more in line with naming conventions.
          The battle for the ultimate SG team: who will it be?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
            Why the hell is it the GENERAL Hammond though? That goes against all previous naming conventions by the US military.
            it's to pay respect to one of the best characters in the series.
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by PacoJr67 View Post
              The Hammond was just being completed at the end of SGA
              Spoiler:
              so it's possible that the APBWs may not have been installed yet

At any rate; if the Hammond had destroyed the ships, they may not have gotten to Destiny at all.
              which would have been realistic - even more: why would they send an incomplete ship to do a supply run in a galaxy were jaffa (some off those went rouge before), lucian alliance and other (old goa'uld - there sure are some left - even if it is only minor lords like ketesh (vala's snake), ashen (hey it would be time to kick their ass now, now that we can and others)??
              - they wouldn't because it endangers the crew! (a ship that has cool shields but no weapons that are good is useless as we have seen when the Daedalus first appeared fighting the wraith, the ship was useless it couldn't damage the wraith and railguns/missiles are even more useless against shielded ha'taks (beams however would be good here))

greetings LAX
              ps: even more illogic is, that the base they can't beam into (which is stupid as they are able to scan the SGC and beam into it!) doesn't at least have rings in order to get supplies and people in and out.
              pps: as for someone further up saying that it is unclear if the beams would work on ha'taks - that has never been shown, but everything that can blow up an ori ship and damage ancient ships should be able to dice up ha'taks by the dozens (even with the little asgard tech they got from thor), as the upgrades they gave earth before dying are a quantum leap compared to what they had before (at least for weapons)
              Last edited by Laxian of Earth; 07 December 2009, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kinseySG View Post
                People need to think before they state things, The only ship that got the Asgard beam weapons was the odyssey and backwards engineering something that you know little about is next to impossible, i vaguely remember the Daedalus using the beam weapons aswell but aint sure about that one ill have to check that
                No... the Daedalus and Apollo both had Asgard beam weapons in SGA. So the Hammond should have it too..!

Comment

Originally posted by Allanon 01 View Post
                  Why couldn't the hammond defeat three alliance ships when it's capable of destroying an ori or hive ship with a couple of asgard beam weapon shots???
                  Your making the assumption it has them. For all we know, the Hammond could have been getting built during the events of Enemy At the Gates, and was undergoing 'space trials', so was being used to run supplies to and from Icarus.

Heck maybe they started being used but there were too many gliders deployed by time they started killing part of the LA.
                  Or telford (since he was uptop when the attack happened) used his knowledge and took them off line since he was brainwashed..

People need to think before they state things, The only ship that got the Asgard beam weapons was the odyssey and backwards engineering something that you know little about is next to impossible, i vaguely remember the Daedalus using the beam weapons aswell but aint sure about that one ill have to check that
                  The apollo was also outfitted with them.. see season 4 of atlantis.

which would have been realistic - even more: why would they send an incomplete ship to do a supply run in a galaxy were jaffa (some off those went rouge before), lucian alliance and other (old goa'uld - there sure are some left - even if it is only minor lords like ketesh (vala's snake), ashen (hey it would be time to kick their ass now, now that we can and others)??
                  Because supposedly it was A) 27 light years away, closer than even abydos, and B) secret.

No... the Daedalus and Apollo both had Asgard beam weapons in SGA. So the Hammond should have it too..!
                  See an above post by Schony.. It gives a very reasonable explanation for why the hammond didn't have any..

For a rehas. WE got 8 installed on the Oddy by the Asgard. We took 2 off for the Apollo, Dadelus and Sun Tzu.. so each of our first 4 ships would have 2 each.. ergo none left for the Hammond.

Comment

Why is it that when we're given the information, the writers are accused of dumming down and spoon feedings as if we were children who cant figure things out for ourselvs. When we dont get the information we get accusations of bad writing.

The ship was new. It hadnt had all its weapons (APB) installed yet and it was taken completely by supprise by 3 Ha'taks (Still powerful ships). Sam didnt have time to stand around explaining that this and that hadnt been installed yet, she was to busy doing her job.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                      Why is it that when we're given the information, the writers are accused of dumming down and spoon feedings as if we were children who cant figure things out for ourselvs. When we dont get the information we get accusations of bad writing.

The ship was new. It hadnt had all its weapons (APB) installed yet and it was taken completely by supprise by 3 Ha'taks (Still powerful ships). Sam didnt have time to stand around explaining that this and that hadnt been installed yet, she was to busy doing her job.
                      lol the ship wasn't new
                      It was the Phoenix renamed George Hammond in honour of the general after he died. It had all the weapons the other 304's have.

Why Carter wouldn't use them, we'll never know....lol rail guns and missiles....PEW PEW Beam weapons please!
                      sigpic

Comment

lol the ship wasn't new
                        It was the Phoenix renamed George Hammond in honour of the general after he died. It had all the weapons the other 304's have.
                        it is. also remember that in The Last Man, the Phoenix was rushed into action.

if it had any notable weapons capability, the Hammond would've been used in the battle in EATG.

however even IF it had APBW's, why wouldn't Telford have told the LA where to hit the Hammond in the opening attack to quickly disable them

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          it is. also remember that in The Last Man, the Phoenix was rushed into action.

if it had any notable weapons capability, the Hammond would've been used in the battle in EATG.

however even IF it had APBW's, why wouldn't Telford have told the LA where to hit the Hammond in the opening attack to quickly disable them
                          And in EATG Carter says its their "New Daedalus class ship."
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            Heck.. maybe the la had more than one spy, one who's role was to ensue those weapons were off line.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                              I'm going to have to agree with this.
                              Personally, I don't get why we want characters to take time out of a hectic moment to explain something everybody involved already knows. Everybody on the Hammond knows that the beam weapons aren't ready, O'Neill more than likely knows, and I'm sure Carter wasn't going to radio the base just to say "Oh, BTW, we don't have our weapons fully installed". I like being able to fill in some blanks myself, it makes the galaxy seem a little more complex and less standardized.

I'd say there were a few things that affected the Hammond here:
                              -It was new, so it was unfinished. It was put in charge of transporting people to Icarus, but nobody was expecting an attack. Saying that the ship should've been prepared for an attack is like saying the Alpha Site should have a fully functional 304 flying around it at all times.
                              -I'd like to believe that the galaxy hasn't stayed stagnant since the early days of SG-1. The Lucien Alliance may have simply planned to launch the attack with their best Hataks, bolstering them up with intelligence gained from Telford and the hundreds of planets they visit daily. I found it odd that in SG-1, nearly every Hatak had the same exact layout, same shield strength, same weapon strength, even though they were built by different Goa'uld on different planets. Whenever there was one that took a bit more punishment or could block Asgard Beaming tech, it seemed rather plausible that upgrades would've been implemented.

Comment

Working...
                              X