Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

relative newcomer to the franchise - how to prepare?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My only previous exposure to the Stargate franchise has been the original movie, and a couple of bits and pieces of various SG-1 episodes.

I recently heard about the new series sy-fy was launching and thought it may be worth a look.

I have watched "SG1 - Children of The Gods" recently.

I have not watched the pilot yet but I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for what I should watch to get some back story on the Stargate Universe and also a couple of questions.

Specifically:

How are the previous series / movies tied into the new Stargate Universe series? Are there any direct relationships (story lines, characters)?

Which series episodes / movies should I watch before watching the Universe pilot to have a good primer in order to best appreciate/understand the new series?

Thanks!

The new series is good to follow without any prior understanding of the series, because everything is explained (what the Stargate is and such).

There are some cameos of the main characters of SG-1 having an appearance, but they aren't integral to the plot and you don't really have to know them to get a gist of what they're doing. There's some mentions to the other series as well (the nine chevron adress discovered in Atlantis, the USS George Hammond battlecruiser, the ancients etc), but they aren't really important either. Just consider them details in the dialogue.

However (spoiler warning, though not for you martini, as you'll have no clue what I'm talking about ),
    Spoiler:
    there's an old enemy from the later SG-1 seasons putting in appearance in the pilot and in the final episodes, the Lucian Alliance. They weren't really developed in SG-1, and it isn't really important to know them, but you might find it interesting to know who they are before they make their appearance in the new series. If you're interested, watch seasons 9, 10, the Ark of Truth and Continuum of the SG-1 series.

So, as said, it isn't really important, but if you're interested, watch seasons 9, 10, the Ark of Truth and Continuum of the SG-1 series to get a gist about the mythology and some of the characters.
    Mia: Don't you hate that?
    Vincent: Hate what?
    Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
    Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
    Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
    - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Staegate: Universe is going to be very different from bothe the previous two series, so you don't really need to know much about the previous shows.

The ship in the series is named after a character in SG-1.

If you are wondering why in 2009 why Earth had such advanced technology read below.

Spoiler:
      Earth since the start of Stargate: SG-1 has been using and learning about alien technology and with the help of a certain race of aliens has built a fleet of ships, as well as other technology

Considering how many episodes there are to watch of both Stargate shows it isn't really worth it in order to watch SGU it adds up to 314 episodes. You just have to accept that modern day Earth has advanced technology and has enemies in our galaxy and that would attack without warning.

You should watch the SG-1 from the beginning if you want to gain an understand of Stargate as a whole, the ship in SGU is built by a race that is featured in Stargate: Atlantis heavily.
      Last edited by malfunction; 07 October 2009, 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling error
      Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

I pretty much agree with the other guys, but I think that the series will be more enjoyable if you have watched both previous stargate shows. It is also an option to watch old SG1/SGA episodes at the same time as you're watching Stargate Universe.
        sigpic

Comment

If you watched "Children of the Gods", then you know who O'Neill, Carter, and Daniel Jackson are.

You don't need to know much about the previous Stargate series to follow SGU. They explain most of what you need to know about the Stargate in the SGU pilot. SGU really is its own beast. I would recommend just starting watching SGU and you can watch SG-1 at the same time.
          sigpic
          FOX Network

Comment

if you want you can watch a few episodes worth of reruns, but it really won't matter much either way.

the show has a very different feel from the previous series and has a character built in "Eli" who knows as much as you do about stargates and will be asking the questions you want answered for a large portion of the first season from what I can gather.

Comment

If you really want a crash course on the series background info such as: who the "Ancients" were, why they bailed on the Milky Way, why they built the original stargate system, etc. – you might want to give the “Ark of Truth” SG1 DVD a try. This was the “TV movie” designed to wrap up most of the series over-all plot threads after the show was cancelled. You would get a brief glimpse of the ancient beings themselves and how they chose to intervene (or not) in human affairs leading up to the discovery of their derelict ship at the very beginning of SGU. Just be prepared for spoilers galore if you go that route (and fast-forward through all of the “Replicator” scenes).

P.S. the Gateworld Omnipedia is also an invaluable resource for Stargate trivia:

http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/r...ancients.shtml

And here is the Ark of Truth synopsis:

http://www.gateworld.net/movies/02.shtml
              Last edited by Mr. Hook; 08 October 2009, 07:21 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pepermint Jaffa View Post
                If you watched "Children of the Gods", then you know who O'Neill, Carter, and Daniel Jackson are.

You don't need to know much about the previous Stargate series to follow SGU. They explain most of what you need to know about the Stargate in the SGU pilot. SGU really is its own beast. I would recommend just starting watching SGU and you can watch SG-1 at the same time.
                When i first started watching SGA i only saw one episode of SG-1, I don't like to start a show in the middle, After the first season of atlantis i went back and started watching SG-1. There was only a few times in the show that i was not didn't know what exactly who someone was. But it was still liked the show. So i think you don't need any prior knowledge in order to watch SGU. SGU was intended to attract new people to the series. So it would be easy to follow.

Comment

Thats one of the reasons the show is so different that newcomers didnt need to know a great deal, gate travel is explained, the ancients are explained (sort of)

Comment

Originally posted by c_martini View Post
                    My only previous exposure to the Stargate franchise has been the original movie, and a couple of bits and pieces of various SG-1 episodes.

I recently heard about the new series sy-fy was launching and thought it may be worth a look.

I have not watched the pilot yet but I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for what I should watch to get some back story on the Stargate Universe and also a couple of questions.

Specifically:

How are the previous series / movies tied into the new Stargate Universe series? Are there any direct relationships (story lines, characters)?

Which series episodes / movies should I watch before watching the Universe pilot to have a good primer in order to best appreciate/understand the new series?

Thanks!
                    They've intentionally made it fairly self-contained to help new viewers, there are elements and characters from the previous series, but you don't really need to know who/what they are in order to enjoy the show. Personally I would just dive in

Comment

This may also be helpful

Stargate 101 - with "Dr. Daniel Jackson"
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrXPFu30LD0

Stargate 101 - with show creator Brad Wright
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-lu9XIj4pY

Edit: Hm ok. Old thread.

Comment

What's with the bumping of an 11 month old thread?

Comment

Originally posted by c_martini View Post

Specifically:

Thanks!

You know something, you dont need to watch the previous stargate shows to understand whats going on at all. But you will appreciate it more if you do. On the other hand, many non-fans told me that they started watching the old shows after having watched SGU and they appreciate it more that way. So SG-1 and SGA become like prequels to them and thats fun too.

edit: holy molly thats an old thread. and for a moment i was cheerful we gained a new stargate fan even after season 1.
                          sigpic

Comment

I would start by buying a television. They tend to increase the enjoyment of the program.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                              Thats one of the reasons the show is so different that newcomers didnt need to know a great deal, gate travel is explained, the ancients are explained (sort of)
                              Why?
                              Mia: Don't you hate that?
                              Vincent: Hate what?
                              Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                              Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                              Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                              - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Working...
                              X