This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amanda Tapping's possible absence

As I’m perusing the forums tonight, I’m seeing a lot posts talking about AT’s potential absence from season nine, and a lot of them seem to indicate that she’s going to miss a significant amount of time this season. I haven’t read anything to say that that will be the case. Have I missed some vital bit of information, or is this just sour grapes from the people upset at RDA’s imminent departure?

If I’m not mistaken, there’s a recent precedent for this. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Gillian Anderson return to the X-Files very quickly after having a child? A few weeks, perhaps? Granted, her role was probably less physically demanding than AT’s (no running around in combat boots), but she was also one of two stars, not four or five.

Are there any other, similar cases in sci-fi or drama television series? How were they handled?

a time to mourn

Fact is, we just don't know yet. Depending on how much time she takes off, she could be totally absent from just the premiere, or from five or six, or they could shoot all her stuff when she gets back and still have her make brief appearances in the first several episodes before coming back full-time.

The only solid hint so far is that Claudia Black will be in a 5-episode arc. It implies, but doesn't confirm, that she may be pinch hitting for the episodes that Amanda will be gone for.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

The currently accepted likelihood is that her presence in five (or so) of the early eps will be minimal at best. This is not set in stone.

Actresses vary in how much an how they work after having a baby, because women vary in how they recover and in how they want to adjust to motherhood, and babies vary in how much attention they need. I don't know how practical it would be to allow a new mum to postpone making the final decision until after the birth, but it would be nice for amanda if that is possible.

Madeleine

Comment

I dont know about other Actresses Pregnancies but Amanda Tapping may want to spend alot of time wth the child before she goes back to work,i know i would).
        Theres also the fact that SG1 apparently has a very hectic shooting schedule (this MAY change if RDA does not come back) where they shoot multiple episodes at a time. and she is apparently due when the shooting starts.

As long as everyone is healthy and happy thats fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
          As I’m perusing the forums tonight, I’m seeing a lot posts talking about AT’s potential absence from season nine, and a lot of them seem to indicate that she’s going to miss a significant amount of time this season. I haven’t read anything to say that that will be the case. Have I missed some vital bit of information, or is this just sour grapes from the people upset at RDA’s imminent departure?

If I’m not mistaken, there’s a recent precedent for this. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Gillian Anderson return to the X-Files very quickly after having a child? A few weeks, perhaps? Granted, her role was probably less physically demanding than AT’s (no running around in combat boots), but she was also one of two stars, not four or five.

Are there any other, similar cases in sci-fi or drama television series? How were they handled?
          I'm highlighting the part I want to comment on. I'm not sure what it means, but I'll miss Jack/RDA a LOT, but I'll miss Sam/Amanda more because she's my fave character and actress.

Sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

there is also a difference between gillian's situation years ago and amanda's now

gillian was an unknown actress, in the first season of a new show who got pregnant unexpectedly...and since she was half the cast, it was a bit of a difficulty.

amanda is the member of a long standing show, who's been on the show since day one. chances are tptb knew they were trying to conceive (especially since she'd had issues in the past) and i'm willing to bet it was not unexpected that she would succeed

to put it bluntly, amanda has a bit more clout than gillian did. amanda is also one of 4 actors, not one of two

the only way the situations are similar is that both actresses have gotten pregnant and the timing has impacted the taping of the show

we have no real official word how things will work out for amanda. Like others have suggested, maybe she's off at the alpha site and communicates via tv fora bit, thus alowing amanda to take time off, and tape her parts later. or maybe they just write her out for a few eps...or maybe she's 'there' just not active.

I always use to have fun with the idea that sam could break her leg, thus need to be sitting for long periods...which would give them a convenient way to hide a burgeoning tummy

whatever happens, i'm sure tptb will work out something that is agreeable to amanda and still allows the show to go on

adding claudia may just be a coincidence. i mean, they've needed to add another female presence since s7
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Seems like there are all kind of options.

As others have said, if AT misses five or so weeks of filming that doesn't mean she will be totally absent from 5 or so episodes, right? They could film scenes when she gets back that could be edited into the episodes they've already shot.

Or they could even film an episode that features Sam's character after AT gets back and then air it as one of the first few episodes. That way there wouldn't be such a big gap without a Sam episode. If S9 is like S8 it won't start airing on Scifi until July which gives them some time to work with.

I was wondering. Those of you who know about this sort of stuff. Do actresses commonly bring their babies to work these days? They all have their own individual trailers and it seems like nanny could watch baby while mom is working and then mom gets to see or feed baby on break. I wouldn't expect it would work every day but on days where the shooting schedule is lighter it seems like it'd be feasible.

I know there are dogs at Bridge studios but I haven't heard about babies.
              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

If she does miss some of the episodes, It wont be the same, especially with RDA out as well, but it will be OK when she is back

Good luck Amanda with the baby

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                  Seems like there are all kind of options.

As others have said, if AT misses five or so weeks of filming that doesn't mean she will be totally absent from 5 or so episodes, right? They could film scenes when she gets back that could be edited into the episodes they've already shot.

Or they could even film an episode that features Sam's character after AT gets back and then air it as one of the first few episodes. That way there wouldn't be such a big gap without a Sam episode. If S9 is like S8 it won't start airing on Scifi until July which gives them some time to work with.
                  there are tons of options, just like you said.

Heck, it's even possible that amanda might come in for a coupel of days to tape scenes. it's gonna be whatever she and bridge work out

Originally posted by Kes
                  I was wondering. Those of you who know about this sort of stuff. Do actresses commonly bring their babies to work these days? They all have their own individual trailers and it seems like nanny could watch baby while mom is working and then mom gets to see or feed baby on break. I wouldn't expect it would work every day but on days where the shooting schedule is lighter it seems like it'd be feasible.

I know there are dogs at Bridge studios but I haven't heard about babies.
                  I think it depends on the actor and studio, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if amanda brings the baby to work and keep her in her trailer. I've seen chris' on the lowdown, and they're just like a house. And i'm sure a nanny of some sort isn't out of the question.

the set seems very family oriented and i don't think anything like that is unreasonable

sigpic

Comment

It would be a shame if Amanda did not come back but personally I would not blame her. My daughter is now 17 months old and I have still not gone back to work. Obviously my job is nowhere near anything like Amanda's but speaking as a mother you cannot make a decision like that until you have had the baby and it is not the easiest decision in the world to make either. The extra money for me would have been handy but I have seen everything from my daughters 1st word to her 1st step. Those memories are something that cannot easily be replaced.

I would love Amanda to come back but if she chose not to I would miss the character but either way I wish Amanda & her husband the very best of luck for the future.
                    "The very young do not always do as they are told"

"We came to Earth to hide among your people, a long, long time ago.....................from a galaxy far, far away"

Comment

I to have seen these posts were people sy she'll be gong for long, but I've seen no evidence of it, and actually everything iv read off the forums, gateworld atrticles and such, point to a minimal absense. Well heres hopein!
                      Signature oversized: Click to view.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BIG UNIT
                        I dont know about other Actresses Pregnancies but Amanda Tapping may want to spend alot of time wth the child before she goes back to work,i know i would).
                        I'm a guy, but that doesn't matter.
                        I'd stay home to help, so I agree.
                        sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

no one knows for sure how things will work out, and this includes TPTB and amanda herself.

she's due to deliver right when filming would start.

now maybe they'll write the eps in such a way that she can be in the early ones, just be on a video phone or something...something they can shoot and drop in later (they do have about 4 months to get things done)

or maybe they'll tape things out of order, say tape 903, 907, 908, 912, 915 in march/april, then tape the others after that, meaning that amanda misses several eps, but they're not in one huge hunk

maybe they'll write her in in such a way that she can come to the set 1-2 days a week, tape a coupel of scenes and then go home, still having tons of time off but also having time with the little one

i'm sure these ideas and tons moer are being batted around in vancouver even as we speak..err type

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X