"You Can't Ask Someone to Sacrifice Themselves"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
    Yes, but logic and reasoned arguments don't apply to SGU. We've learned this over the past few months many times over
    or Dr. Rush
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
      Or can you?

Is there ever a right occasion to do such a thing?

In SGU's pilot episode, the newly designated crew of the Destiny faced it's first of what are surely to be many more moral dilemmas. With the ship leaking precious air and the carbon dioxide scrubbers not working, the only way to grant the dozens of stranded people a few more precious hours of life was to seal off the room with the damaged hull....from the inside; a Deadman's Switch, if you will.

Dr. Nicholas Rush, ever the practical and logical voice, began the process of assessing each and every person's skills in order to determine who would be the one to pay that ultimate sacrifice much to the horror of every other person there.

Insanely logical or just plain insane?

Was this the best solution, the only solution, or should they have spent more time trying to devise another way to get the door shut and less time deciding on the show's first sacrificial lamb?

And was the execution of this plot element the best the writers could have done? With the dying Senator closing the doors himself unbenownst to everyone else, the decision was effectively taken out of any one character's hands and, I daresay, any of the writer's as well. Would it have been a bolder writing choice to not have a conveniently dying Senator?
      what i dont get is why they didnt just crash the Keno into the "close door" button

I mean come on life, death, or keno

what would you pick?!

Comment

Originally posted by Mckay221 View Post
        what i dont get is why they didnt just crash the Keno into the "close door" button

I mean come on life, death, or keno

what would you pick?!
        Who is to say the Kino's mass is sufficent enough to create the pressure to lock the button in place
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

I'd like to point out that Greer allowed the senator enter the room. He's held at gun point for some duration, but Armstrong eventually lowers it and asks how to operate the system to which Greer nodded.

For whatever reason, it never occured to Scott to command Greer that he stop Armstrong. So it wasn't as if he disobeyed an order. Anyway, all other options were exhausted by that point, and the senator seemed to be imploring to him by lowering the gun at all. After the commercial break, the first thing you see after the Senators body is Greer's expression. I don't think Greer and Chole have since interacted, but I guess it's water under the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Radahldo View Post
            I'd like to point out that Greer allowed the senator enter the room. He's held at gun point for some duration, but Armstrong eventually lowers it and asks how to operate the system to which Greer nodded.

For whatever reason, it never occured to Scott to command Greer that he stop Armstrong. So it wasn't as if he disobeyed an order. Anyway, all other options were exhausted by that point, and the senator seemed to be imploring to him by lowering the gun at all. After the commercial break, the first thing you see after the Senators body is Greer's expression. I don't think Greer and Chole have since interacted, but I guess it's water under the bridge.
            I thought this was significant too. Greer did what he thought was the best thing under the circumstances for everybody on board.

It also disturbs me how people are so quick to condemn Rush for even considering asking someone to sacrifice themselves. Sheppard did exactly that in Miller's Crossing and that was to save Jeannie's life, not the lives of 80+ people, but the audience forgave him.
            sigpic

Comment

I can ask someone to sacrifice themselves

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Who is to say the Kino's mass is sufficent enough to create the pressure to lock the button in place
                Plus as been shown here several times, the senator pressed SEVERAL buttons, not just one.

Comment

Working...
                X