Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGU Destiny inspired by STNG/DS9 Cardassian Galor Class???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU Destiny inspired by STNG/DS9 Cardassian Galor Class???

Is it just me, or does the hull of the ship resemble a lot like a Cardassian Galor class warship from STNG or DS9??? In reverse of course...kinda like how the NX01 Enterprise was heavily inspired by the Akira Class (ie...upside down lol).

Here's a pic of a Cardassian Galor Class...not a very good one, I have seen better images that more closely resemble the new SGU Destiny Ship.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/me...lass_model.jpg

im sure if i drew a ship someone somewhere would say i stole the design from some other show...or manatee

Comment

Yes, the shape of the ship resembles that(in reverse, as you say). But it also resembles a gate chevron. Which makes sense to me...

Also, there's already a very large thread discussing the Destiny, including its phallic shape.

Comment

Not to me. My first thought was the Valdor from Nemesis. To me, Destiny had a very Romulan feel.

Comment

When I saw the first pass over of the ship it look similar to the first Asgard ships we saw. So I guess the Asgard stole the design from their Ancient buddies.
          sigpic

Just repeat to yourself; "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Comment

yeah, I think it is a case of just so many shows having been made it is hard not to appear similar to something else.

Comment

*rolleyes*

Star Trek is not the source of all scifi

Comment

looking at it in kind of an abstract way, it's reminds me of the Pilgrim's cross from Wing Commander
                Spoiler:
                sigpic

Comment

I think the Destiny is fantastically designed, inside and out. It looks better than most ships out of Trek/Wars/BSG imo, it ranks very highly.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    *rolleyes*

Star Trek is not the source of all scifi
                    but you have to admit it is the source of quite a bit of sci-fi

but the ship design resembles a chevron more to me
                    sigpic
                    Dr. Nicholas Rush: Ultimately, I control this ship.
                    Watching:How I Met your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Warehouse 13, Alphas, Glee, Fringe, The Mentalist, Castle, Sanctuary | Re-watching: SG1, SGU

Comment

Originally posted by stargatefreek View Post
                      but you have to admit it is the source of quite a bit of sci-fi

but the ship design resembles a chevron more to me
                      Not really. Trek also used a lot of things drawn from other sci-fi sources of the time that simply weren't well-known. They had a few real breakthroughs, but people really tend to give it more credit than it's due.
                      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I always thought it looked more like a Jem'Hadar fighter to be honest. But the comparasion is very moot. SciFi ship designs have been reused so many times.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Interestingly, when reading JM's blog, I thought the Destiny shuttle resembled the Cardassian Hideki class in terms of general shape.

I agree though with what others have said, there has been so much sci-fi it is pretty difficult to come up with something completely original which will not resemble something that has already existed, even if unintentionally.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                            I think the Destiny is fantastically designed
                            I downloaded the HD episode from iTunes and the ship simply looks fantastic.

Comment

To be honest, I think the ship is inspired by the chevrons on the gate. Overall, it has the shape of a chevron with the point a bit more elongated. That's all.

I think the ship is unique. Of course people will find and look to other parallels, but I think the chevron was the base of inspiration.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                              and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Working...
                              X