Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A mathematical problem in ancient language in a game?..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by techwork View Post
    As engineer i know : If It is not possible - this is not possible.In this case, the impossibility of action is determined not at stage solutions, but at stage of creating the real model, or an independent model of reality if easier. This inability on the level of basic concepts of logic and the laws of nature. If you do not agree with me then jump out the window in a skyscraper without special tools. Then, if we continue the chatter, I recognize that nothing is impossible..
    Have at it http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17113222/

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Jackson View Post
      So the kid, I am not sure how you spell his name, solved this problem in the game he was playing.

The game apparently initiated a 'firing sequence'.

That means that somewhere in the game, the solution is precoded, otherwise it wouldn't be able to detect the correct answer.

So in short, this would leave me with the question: Why do they need someone to solve a problem, while apparently it's solved already?

Now Rush managed to convert the solution into something practical, as referred to in the first episode, but it doesn't explain my question.

Anyone else who found this quite confusing?
      he discovered the answer the night before and used it in the game, rush must have been looking over everyones answers and discovered eli had found the solution

Comment

has anyone seen The Last Starfighter? hehe

Comment

Originally posted by techwork View Post
          In this case, the impossibility of action is determined not at stage solutions, but at stage of creating the real model, or an independent model of reality if easier. This inability on the level of basic concepts of logic and the laws of nature.
          Models are not my cup of tea, but why would they necessarily need to create the model instead of, for example, using (the parts of) the solution or answer as a part of another, already solved problem and by that knowing if the answer is wrong or maybe right?

Just asking

Comment

Originally posted by wordenms View Post
            SG-U is making a parallel here between Eli and Dr. Daniel Jackson from the original Stargate Movie.

Both characters were found in their own element.

Dr. Daniel Jackson was hired to translate the symbols on the coverstones and then to figure out the 7th symbol so we could start using the stargate.

It appears that Eli's problem was to determine what the 9th chevron would be on the Stargate so that the SG-U team could reach the destiny.

The formula for the "firing sequence" most likely had 9 symbols to enter just like the encoding sequence on the stargate.

Eli's formula worked in all aspects except for determining the correct point of origin. Since they were putting in their exact point of origin as the 9th chevron, the stargate could not connect. Only when using the symbol for earth could they make a connection to the Destiny.

Just like Daniel Jackson, Eli was very helpful in filling in the blanks to allow the team to use the stargate.

Eli is like Daniel for a new generation, ... except he doesn't have all the degrees, lol
            Remember, they had no idea what the 9th chevron did or went to. They had no idea it was Destiny, or even a ship, until they got there.
            I disgust myself sometimes.

Comment

Working...
            X