No announcement yet.

SGU stargate glyphs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I considered the Destiny Gate's symbols to some sort of universal mask.
    And everytime Destiny enters a galaxy, the constellations used for that galaxy are mapped to the gate's symbols.

It's like using one and the same keyboard in different countries.
    What's printed on the keys always remains the same, but you always can change the mapping, i.e.
    if you use a US keyboard and enter SHIFT+2 you'll get the @-symbol.
    If you map a german layout onto that keyboard though, then the same combination SHIFT+2 will get you the "-symbol, whereas the @-symbol can be accessed via ALT+Q.

I think it's the same with the Destiny-Gate.
    It has a universal/generic writing on it and depending on which galaxy it arrives in it'll map the necessary constellations of the galaxy's gate network onto its symbols.

Comment

This is possible, too.

In fact, here's another idea...

What if the gate address really was a code?

Bear with me here.

The gate program analyzes a gate address and checks to make sure it's a valid address. Then if it is, it attempts to establish a wormhole, assuming the offworld gate isn't blocked by a coverstone or buried.

If the Icarus Base gate saw the "code", it might have recognized that it was a Destiny code, so it checked with the Destiny to see where it was (hence why we saw it stop before the gate actually dialed, because you can't dial a ship in motion due to its location constantly changing), Destiny's gate responded back with the current address, and the Icarus Base gate dialed the current location of Destiny.

As a check to make sure it wasn't someone else dialing (the Ancients may have thought no one would be smart enough to reprogram the gate and didn't put an "authentication code" into the gate itself like we saw in "Prototype"), the 9th chevron was a "password", here being Earth's location in space. Once everything checked out, a wormhole was established.

Again, I have no canonical evidence for this.

i agree with you, infact this was one of my first ideas on how this worked.

the gate seems to call the destination gate. this seems to always be the case.

in this case, the ability to dial the 9th chevron was the protection itself: no standard DHD can. you need to know a 9th chevron is needed.

so back to my first point: the 9 chevrons are being entered. the gate starts a call, and as glyphs are entered, the gate (the dialling system already knows the address, it merely enters the glyphs one by one) calls specifically for the Destiny, which drops out of FTL, answers the call, along with the nessecary equations for the wormhole, the stargate calculates everything, starts to draw an immense amount of power and then sends a final burst, then the both gates synchronously activate and the wormhole is established.

the code merely unlocks the Destiny calling programme.

Comment

Also, you guys are looking way to much into this, the reason that we always see the earth pyramid PoO is because they always use the same gate for the shots and they reuse shots of the gate activating, it would cost to much to redue the cgi for every time they dial a new address from off world and show a unique PoO. Its called practicality.
        It's called using stock footage and props, unfortunately. The only gate they made that had the inner track spin was the Egypt/Alpha Gate, so any shots of the gate spinning will use the "At" symbol for Earth's Point of Origin.
        So really, there isn't any direct proof that the 'A' symbol stands for earth. Though the DHD found with the Beta Gate which had the unique 'Point of Origin' symbol was never on the Beta Stargate itself. In seasons 4 and 5, the Stargate still had the 'A' symbol. Which yes, could be explained away by "They just used stock images" but I would think for something that major that the creators of the show would have changed the symbol.
        Wow I bet Brad and Robert are sitting there reading this thread going, crap, we should have put more thought into that scene!
        -I agree, my initial understanding was that they said each place had a unique PoO glyph. It makes no sense why only the DHD would have a diff glyph if it's on the gate as it's 'locked'. Dr.Jackson could have dialed home in the 1st movie just by looking at the Stargate or DHD, but both had different glyphs than on the Earth gate. This made sense in the film due to Abydos being located "on the other end of the known universe". The TV guys changed this to same galaxy & REALLY close to Earth,also making the glyphs the same as ours. The TV show writers butchered this into a cascade of errors, citing budget costs which is nonsense. I think this is a core reason the movie writers abhor the TV show writers,I mean the film creators feel the TV show ideas ruined the whole concept, for reasons like these.
        A small degree of thought, would arouse the option of making the whole gate as it is, yet with snap on/velcro glyphs, so they would ALWAYS be easily altered in 10-20min for new world stargates. Even at $20per hr,that's $5 to change all the glyphs on the gate for the scene. They built a whole Stargate but couldn't figure out how to make the glyphs snap into place. At worst they could be screw ons, running up the insane cost of $20 & a full 60min of work.
        Reading the interviews reveals the light hearted nature of such lack of effort, as if it all adds up to forgetting the salad forks,or using Splenda instead of sugar.
        The money is a lame excuse by otherwise very creative people. At first everyone searched the gate on each new world to catch a glimpse of the new glyphs. Eventually everyone realized, there are no new glyphs, & never will be. That's back when a 'movie channel' was footing the bill, it had nothing to do with cost. Similarly the rehashing & borrowing of plots has nothing to do with cost,it's laziness. Farscape proved that,& blew Stargate out of the water with actual costs by making real aliens & exotic real sets!
        In 2009,more than at any other point, there is no excuse for blank sets, reused props which lead to canonical errors, or every alien being human. We should have full body dinosaurs on worlds now, that CGI is more than 10yrs old! I think we only got one world so far where the trees weren't normal,instead being blue & pink.
        None of them are hurting for money, nor is MGM, they've got a loyal fanbase other shows dream of,yet they dish out dumb lazy excuses for the simplest detail omissions.
        Anyone who loves SG enough to dabble in designing their own glyphs for a foreign galaxy gate system,has stumbled across what we now see on the new SGU gate. There are original ideas, as well as a list of usual suspects we will all explore. The SGA gate was neat for being digital, the dots were less creative than the original glyphs. TPTB are extremely lazy when it comes to flexing their muscles,which is why both SG1 & SGA got canned & so many die-hards want brand new writers/producers.
        Most of our speculation breeds from their lack of detail or imagination. They paint 5 intriguing outcome possibilities leading into each commercial break, & make the least interesting of them what actually happens. After 10 SG1 seasons & 5 SGA, it's very hard for SG lovers to take it anymore.
        This only fits here,b/c the gate glyphs are the most basic part of Stargate,yet they can't even be bothered to get that right, or consistant to canon.
        I love the premise of SG so much I'll always watch,but what I've said is true,not bashing or some incorrect rant.
        There is absolutely no reason that the reused gate can't have interchangeable glyph tiles to expand our imaginations with different arrangements,as was initially set forth. I'm sure us fans could even build one, & we have a shadow of their cash.
        I really hope every gate in SGU is not the same,especially if they move to another galaxy.
        (Be great if they involve two colliding galaxies eating eachother,which could provide a myriad of exotic interactions & also an easy excuse for multiple gate designs over a limited area. It happens all the time as Hubble has shown.)

Comment

Originally posted by General Jeckle View Post
          [...]
          I really hope every gate in SGU is not the same,especially if they move to another galaxy.
          [...]
          The thing with the SGU gates though is that they have a universal range of symbols on them. It's like they'd just have written numbers from 1 to 36 on every gate. That's because when the gates are seeded, you don't know of any constellations yet.

Ergo the Destiny design has a unique set of symbols which act as universal placeholders and thus, everytime they enter a new galaxy with Destiny type gates in it, the glyphs/symbols get re-mapped accordingly.

Or to put it differently:
          The address 1-5-4-7-2-8 in one galaxy has completely different underlying coordinates than the same address in the next galaxy. The numbers/symbols on the Destiny type gates though, always stay the same.

Comment

seeing as the destiny gate (and seeder ship gates) have a limited range, maybe the symbols aresort of like north south east west directions (except in a 3d way) assinging a symbol to a certain point along a direction and using those points the same way you would use normal gate symbols

Comment

The symbols on a normal gate have numerical and phonetic representations
              Thats how the ancients named planets
              The first time Jack had an ancient database in his head he started speaking in ancient and one of the things he said was a stargate address, and Jackson made a comment about it

The numerical representation is mentioned but never really explained (and i cant remember what episode it was, so someone please tell me)

Im sure the symbols on the destiny gates are mathematical in some way

Comment

There But For the Grace of God. It wasn't an Ancient planet though.
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Also, you guys are looking way too much into this, the reason that we always see the earth pyramid PoO is because they always use the same gate for the shots and they reuse shots of the gate activating, it would cost too much to reduce the cgi for every time they dial a new address from off world and show a unique PoO. It’s called practicality.
                  It's called using stock footage and props, unfortunately. The only gate they made that had the inner track spin was the Egypt/Alpha Gate, so any shots of the gate spinning will use the "At" symbol for Earth's Point of Origin.
                  If you watch CotG very closely you can see the A symbol on the Abydos stargate, and we know from the original movie that the Abydos stargate has a completely different PoO.

The explanation I think is quite simple. When TPTB decided to make SG-1 they found the original gates from the movie where in poor repair so they built 2 new ones. The first one was the Gate permanently on the SGC set which was the Giza/Alpha gate and has the A symbol on it. The second gate they built as the one they used when filming on location to represent the gate on whatever planet they were on for that particular episode, however the tech department made both gates identical, so both gates have the A symbol on them. This lead to continuity errors throughout SG-1 where the A symbol appeared on off world gates (like the example described above), this was compounded by the use of stock footage for the gates dialling.

As for the A symbol appearing on Iccarus base we know that the SGC set was taken down and the Iccarus base set as built there so it stands to reason they used the Giza/Alpha gate with the A symbol on it.

So really, there isn't any direct proof that the 'A' symbol stands for earth. Though the DHD found with the Beta Gate which had the unique 'Point of Origin' symbol was never on the Beta Stargate itself. In seasons 4 and 5, the Stargate still had the 'A' symbol. Which yes, could be explained away by "They just used stock images" but I would think for something that major that the creators of the show would have changed the symbol.
                  Look at it this way, the symbols are embossed onto the gate so can’t easily be changed and are TPTB going to the expense of building a whole new “spinning” gate for the sake of one symbol being different, short answer – No. It s the same situation with MW symbols appearing on the Ida gate in The Fifth Race, the TPTB are not going to build a whole new gate with new symbols that is only going to be used in the last 10 minutes of an episode. That said how much would it have cost to switch the symbol on the computer screen from the A symbol to the circle with line under for the Beta gate while that gate was in use at the SGC.
                  "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
                  "That he is concealing something."
                  "Like what?"
                  "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                  "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
                  "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
                  "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
                    Look at it this way, the symbols are embossed onto the gate so can’t easily be changed and are TPTB going to the expense of building a whole new “spinning” gate for the sake of one symbol being different, short answer – No. It s the same situation with MW symbols appearing on the Ida gate in The Fifth Race, the TPTB are not going to build a whole new gate with new symbols that is only going to be used in the last 10 minutes of an episode. That said how much would it have cost to switch the symbol on the computer screen from the A symbol to the circle with line under for the Beta gate while that gate was in use at the SGC.
                    A real world answer? They were probably too lazy to change the graphic. Just another example of using stock footage and it confusing how things really work.

Plausible in-universe answer? "At" was the symbol for Earth for the first 3-4 years before the Antarctic/Beta gate was used and, knowing that the symbol for the Point of Origin didn't matter they just kept using the "At" symbol to represent Earth. (Which would also explain why we saw "At" on the computer screen in "Air": it was the general symbol they had used for 13 years to represent Earth's point in space, no matter how they seemed to trick the gate into thinking one of the symbols on the Icarus gate was Earth).

Comment

There But For the Grace of God
                      One of my favorites, I wish they did more with the Quantum Mirror. I always thought Henry Rollins could easily pass as a parallel reality Jack O'Neill, or his brother. I would really enjoy seeing Richard Dean Anderson & Henry Rollins interact while dodging fire,& saving the galaxy. Also be awesome to have several O'Neills from different realities join together to knock some heads. Could get Kurt Russell to do a cameo as the original,Rollins as another,RDA as ours,& find someone for a fourth. Maybe even use James Spader to pair will Shanks. Alaina Huffman could've passed as a parallel Carter as far as looks. So many possibilities untapped with that dang Quantum Mirror which don't require CGI or tricks.
                      The thing with the SGU gates though is that they have a universal range of symbols on them. It's like they'd just have written numbers from 1 to 36 on every gate. That's because when the gates are seeded, you don't know of any constellations yet.
                      -Not exactly universal since the MilkyWay stargates have 39 glyphs. Eventually TPTB will get tired of all the work & just make a 30 glyph gate. Followed by a 24 glyph gate, a 20, & finally we'll all marvel over the brand new 10 glyph stargate. It's juicy hook will be that the planet spins instead of the gate.
                      -I'd of thought a seeder ship which can travel to other galaxies,or just throughout a galaxy, could manage to read the surrounding constellations. Seems like basic navigation & is more believable than a ship capable of constructing stargates by itself. Also if it can construct a stargate without flaws, it should be able to imprint the glyphs to match its location. They do say all info about a planet & where the stargate is being placed is recorded.
                      The explanation I think is quite simple. When TPTB decided to make SG-1 they found the original gates from the movie where in poor repair so they built 2 new ones. The first one was the Gate permanently on the SGC set which was the Giza/Alpha gate and has the A symbol on it. The second gate they built as the one they used when filming on location to represent the gate on whatever planet they were on for that particular episode, however the tech department made both gates identical, so both gates have the A symbol on them.
                      -As far as I remember,something they were proud of was that they actually bought the original stargate from the movie & used it,thus all the exact detail didn't have to be reproduced or plain missing. The prop gates for off world locales are light weight/single sided rubber or plastic replicas, which were cast from that original metal stargate. I do not believe SG1 had a stargate made for the show that was anything but a replica shell prop, which was one piece & could not spin. There are even lesser flat prop gates for head-on shots also. Later shots of a spinning off world stargate were CGI. There was no killer budget cost of building a stargate for the show. I don't remember what they said they paid for ownership of the movie's stargate instead of renting it.
                      It s the same situation with MW symbols appearing on the Ida gate in The Fifth Race, the TPTB are not going to build a whole new gate with new symbols that is only going to be used in the last 10 minutes of an episode.
                      I agree they will not do this. However, it IS bad form & outrageously lazy. They would not have to make a whole new gate,only the inner spinning wheel, which has the glyphs embedded. It also would not be just for one new gate, doing it correctly renders that single redo into a potentially infinite amount of off world gates, since they could then change out the glyphs.
                      They never seem to 'get' that you attract a fanbase & new loyal viewers by creating such fantastic detail, one's imagination is turned on & buzzing until the next show. Their approach shouldn't be to regurgitate actors from 'hit' shows, & reuse other show's plots mixed into the stargate universe. The concept & premise of Stargate is so wonderful that we all stay around & others start to like it in spite of TPTB not due to their creative prowess.
                      The chance to show the Asgard stargate is a prime example of the perfect situation & reason to built a new gate, or fix the inner ring. If anyone in charge was interested in thinking, & still can't rebuild anything, make a slip cover to show something unique to the Asgard homeworld. We were dialing the 8th chevron for the 1st time ever! Even steering wheels & bucket seats tackle this issue with their eyes closed. Seriously...this is Stargate!
                      That said how much would it have cost to switch the symbol on the computer screen from the A symbol to the circle with line under for the Beta gate while that gate was in use at the SGC.
                      Case in point. They went through all the trouble to create a new story arch of a 2nd stargate on Earth, then couldn't bother to follow through with the details. Things like this,as well as the list of others, hit us hard b/c we fans must suddenly accept that the immersion is a poor illusion. Suddenly this is just a dumb tv show,& we're foolish for being excited enough that we paid so much attention to even notice such detail-oriented errors in the first place. How many fans record it, learn the glyphs, the languages, try to read ancient or goa'uld, then find it's all lazy gobbly gook, b/c the PAID creators can't be bothered to create a fractal or make the 20ft pool sink deeper than our waist. A lot of the alien script is translated as 'ugfuxrjst hdde'. Some of the voids are understandable, most of it isn't, it's just 'who cares anyways'. We've got a hook through our cheek only to realize this guy's bored of fishing,& just left his pole in the water.

p.s. I'm sure if money is the only reason to not make a new gate or fix the gate, they could've sold the 'wrong' one at auction & made enough money to pay for both. As if that's not what they did anyway, when they started selling props for the prices of gems & diamonds. ie; $800 for a poorly designed leather tunic worn by an extra, in a single scene of episode 115:Cor-Ai.

(Don't take me wrong, Stargate makes my hair stand up,& puts butterflies in my chest. I'm just harping on TPTB b/c the array of glyphs & the fact that each world was supposed to have its own set of gyphs, was a HUGE initial fascination for me. I have since been severely let down regarding this wonderful detail. At least different galaxies get their own gate, despite their design growing evermore vapid.)

Comment

the symbols are probably just proxies for the relevant symbols the seeder ships programmed the gates into using, i doubt the ships programmed them to dial specific constalations, think more of it like a telephone number - which would tie into my PoO theory and uncoming expliantion of dialing desiny from the milkway

destiny's dialing from icuras shouldnt be treated like a standard one, becuase the ship is constanlty on the move a gate address as we know it would be pointless, therefore take it as eli said, it's a code instructing the gate to find and dial destiny. which makes good sense as u see at the start of air p1 u see the ship exit ftl before the gate activates and then jump bk after it shuts down. so imo it works like this, we dail the code indicating who we are, the PoO is irrelevant as its a code, the gates programming knows this, the gate then over subspace (like the LRC stones) transmits a siginal to destiny asking it to transmit its location for connection, the destiny drops out of ftl and transmits it's location and the gate then connects a wormhole using the appropiate coordinats.

in theroy dialing constelations only makes sense if you intend other people who dont know the whole system to use the gates, otherwise a numeric systems, like phone numbers would be alot more simple and probably wouldnt need constant updating and u dial that number and the gate at the other end would transmit its location bk and then the gates would connect

tbh the only reason i can think of for the gates not using the above method is it'd be hard to fit sensor capable of working out the gates lotcation in the galaxy into a ring... would work on a universe travling ship tho

Comment

Originally posted by diMaggio View Post
                          Alright, first of all:
                          The Symbol for the PoO (Point of Origin) of earth of the alpha gate (pyramid with circle on top) isn't the earth's original symbol for its PoO.
                          Trying to sum it up:
                          Alpha Gate's PoO symbol -> originally not earth -> other Stargates don't "know" this
                          -> if earth never had alpha gate, only beta gate -> Eli's guess to use earth's PoO would've lead to -> death
                          => Ergo: Thanks Ra, you might have been as enslaving a***ole, but we couldn't have done it without you.

The REAL problem with the entire premise of that scene in general is this:

HOW could the Icarus base stargate even have ANY PoO symbol besides its own? [Unless it had more than 39 glyphs- clearly NOT the case!]

Basically, it's not possible for that stargate to have had it's own PoO symbol as well as that of the 'alpha' Earth stargate. In fact, NO stargate besides the 'alpha' Tauri stargate should have that symbol on it (pyramid with sun above ... Å without the horizontal crossbar)! Apparently, however, that symbol seems to be present not only on the Icarus base stargate, but also the un-named planet used by Lucian Alliance to dial Destiny, as well as the Langaran stargate (in "Seizure").

Furthermore, assuming your theory is accurate about the PoO symbol actually being a generic placeholder that would work anywhere the stargate was located, it wouldn't matter what symbol or image was depicted where the PoO glyph is located. And it's even more puzzling and unclear what the effects/implications of having two PoO would be- and how that would be 'encoded' as such, or which constellation glyph it would replace...

Since the glyphs on the stargates are numbered and always in the same order (for Milkyway & Pegasus anyway...), it doesn't seem like it really makes any difference what symbol is depicted in each slot because it's really just an unchangeable numeric value (that slot will always have the same numerically measured position relative to glyph #1 when counting in the same direction). Therefore it doesn't seem possible to encode any other value to a slot, or that it would or could make any difference anyway.
                          Is that logic solid?

I never really thought about this before, but essentially the writers have presented us quite a conundrum if not a flat out inconsistent/impossible scenario in regards to opening a wormhole to the Destiny!

Am I wrong? Or missing something?

It seems to me that the inescapable conclusion is that (presumably all) the stargates have the 'alpha'-Tauri PoO glyph on them.
                          But how can that be possible?
                          The Milkyway stargates are said to have 38 constellation symbols (of which the Å symbol can not be one because there would have to be two of the same symbol on the actual 'alpha' Earth/Tauri stargate- plus they've already been enumerated and defined by canonical sources) and one PoO symbol; and the stargates only have 39 symbols in total.

One other thing BTW, there is another possibility (which is certainly implied by the film and in many ways makes sense) concerning the origin of the 'alpha'-Tauri stargate...
                          That is that Ra constructed/created it specifically for Earth instead of stealing it from some other unknown world.
                          That could also imply that the point of origin was somehow encoded as Earth which would explain why that symbol could be used to dial Destiny as the PoO—also where Destiny was launched from. Although it does nothing to explain how or why THAT symbol could or WOULD be on those other stargates! Plus, if they did somehow have earth's PoO symbol, shouldn't it be the original one—the underlined filled circle—that the Ancients used to designate Earth when building the Milkyway gate network?

[I don't usually pick apart holes in plots, I just tend to accept things as the writers present them and enjoy the story. But there are limits to what I can ignore, and this one is actually HUGE in my opinion. I'm really actually somewhat surprised I never caught that! That's still not to say that I can't accept the discrepancy and enjoy the show—I just won't be able to ignore that anymore!]

Comment

Alright, first of all:
                            The Symbol for the PoO (Point of Origin) of earth of the alpha gate (pyramid with circle on top) isn't the earth's original symbol for its PoO.
                            That's because RA took that Stargate from somewhere else and put it on earth.

Actually, the explanatory 2nd statement of how Earth got the 'alpha gate' is an assumption/conjecture!

That is never explicitly stated within the official canon of Stargate, and doesn't seem to be the accepted assumption of the characters. (It is never "revealed" when or how the 'alpha gate' came to be on Earth. I do believe there was some speculative dialog/comments from Daniel & Sam, but nothing concrete.) However, I do think the idea of Ra importing (or possibly constructing) the Giza gate is is the most likely scenario of origin for the "alpha gate"—although it is not a certainty.

We also don't know how the gate might have to be modified (if at all) when brought to be used on Earth; or at some later date. The simplest alteration would be just a cosmetic adaptation, like a new PoO symbol—all we can do is guess, invent & speculate about this...

But as long as we're speculating, I assert that at least the PoO glyph was customized by Ra, whether or not he imported, or even constructed the Giza Stargate.

Why? To more firmly establish his strength and divinity by putting the image of his ship on the planet under the image associated with his divinity— the SUN!

Additionally, and more significantly: the pyramids have never been associated with or attributed to the Ancients throughout the SG franchise; that particular motif seems to have been introduced by the Goa'uld and unique to them (although probably not their own true "creation"—it is quite a central, dominant and recurring theme that it's almost synonymous with the Goa'uld.

It seems highly improbable that such a PoO would have been assigned to any planet by the Ancients. And don't tell me "Oh, well it's actually probably just a mountain" or anything like that... Every terrestrial planet must invariably have mountains, especially to be habitable due to the requirement of plate tectonics and volcanism for development of complex life. Plus, it seems that aside from Earth*, none of the other planets that we know of seem to have original, unique PoO symbols (they just use one of the 38 constellations)—*except for a select few planets whose unique PoO symbol references something fairly current which came LONG after the Ancients supplied the galaxy with gates; indicating that the symbol was modified/customized after the Ancients ascended, leaving this plane of existence.

The reality that most PoO symbols seem to merely be one of the constellation glyphs presents quite a contradiction and conundrum undermining the premise of the system. However, I believe this is accurately explained as either an oversight of the writers/producers/art department, or a detail they chose to ignore underestimating the implications, assuming/hoping few viewers would notice and recognize the discrepancy. Since it really has nothing to do with the plot. It seems clear (or at least obvious) that the PoO symbol has a standardized placement on both the Stargates and the DHDs (conceivably with variations due to changes in manufacturing standards of the Ancients- although they demonstrate a strong commitment to longevity and maintained compatibility of their standards).

Therefore, a user of the gate system would quickly develop habitual muscle memory for performing the ever-constant final two sequences of opening the gate.

The actual depiction for earth ... on the beta gate [is a] circle with a thick vertical line below
                            I propose that the term original (replacing 'actual' above, as you used earlier in your post) is a more precise and appropriate description of the symbol—you can't really say that the pyramid-sun glyph is not the actual PoO symbol for Earth, because it IS! And it's actually a horizontal line under the circle on the Antarctic 'beta gate' (not vertical).

to sum it up:
                            Alpha Gate's PoO symbol -> originally not earth -> other Stargates don't "know" this
                            -> if earth never had alpha gate, only beta gate -> Eli's guess to use earth's PoO would've lead to -> death

That is interesting and fun logic; I enjoy your train of thought!
                            However, you're making an awful lot of certain sounding assumptions & conjecture (throughout your entire post actually, probably more than you realize)!

But none of that really matters IMO because due to a significant plot hole regarding the entire basis of Eli's PoO 9th cheveron solution. In short: it is IMPOSSIBLE! And this represents the most serious discontinuity error/plot hole of the entire franchise in my opinion. Which I will explain after addressing a couple other points,

First, we DO know that the gates (and DHDs) maintain frequent subspace links with each other for updates that rapidly proliferate the network which include all kinds of information, precise location data is prominent but many other details.
                            So, YES– (if it has any relevance then) the other Stargates most certainly DO 'know' if/when a Stargate becomes inactive or inoperable, or is replaced/superceded by another gate.

What really stands out as contradictory is your presumption that Earth's 'beta gate' PoO glyph to dial the 9th chevron address could lead to death!!! (His quess obviously couldn't have been the 'alpha gate' PoO glyph if was never on Earth. Although, in that scenario the timeline would be SO changed that we probably wouldn't exist (due to much earlier changes in familial lines); but ignoring that; the only stargate would still be under the ice in Antarctica since it was only discovered through that gating accident.)

HUH?!?!? How??? What would've caused death?

Either a wormhole would open to Destiny or it wouldn't...

There is MUCH evidence that the gate system is incredibly durable, robust, safe, self-correcting/self-adjusting and long-lasting with numerous levels of redundancy, back-ups, failsafe protections and other protections built in- the Ancients were brilliantly intelligent, wise and thorough!

Of course, the SGC's dialing computer throws a huge 'monkey wrench' into all of that by ignoring most of the signals from the gate–which proved to be a recurring source of problems.
                            But even under the worst, unexpected & unpredictable scenarios, the gate system virtually always manages to come up with some kind of option that avoids death, even if it's not always ideal...

Please bear with me as I explain in a continuing follow-up post.

Comment

There were even some unique gate symbols in the first two season of SG-1. Theoratically all gates (and DHDs) could have an own symbol, but later this concept was completly forgotten by the writers probably for practical reasons to cut the budget. Could you imagine that thet gateplanting ships would create an own individual gate for every location?
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                              X