SGU stargate glyphs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU stargate glyphs

If the Milky Way and Pegasus glyphs are star constellations, meaning they enable addresses to be dialed from 'relatively' fixed points in space according to constellations seen from that point... then what are the new Destiny glyphs supposed to represent, since the ship is moving and has no fixed point of reference? (see SGU gate here)

I don't wish to discuss the specifics of wormhole travel to and from moving points of origin, because that has already been brought up in other threads. Simply, the literal symbolism of the new glyphs on SGU, and how it relates to moving-gate travel. Are they constellations? Perhaps that's what constellations look like when traveling at the speed of Destiny, lol. Do they in fact represent galaxies?

Forgive me if this topic has already been covered, I couldn't see it... and if it has, can you please point me to the discussion. I am eager to hear what suggestions people have about the possible meaning behind the new 'Morse code' squiggles of the SGU gates.

It connects to a local network, and the local network will use local constellations or simply specific stars for addresses. So I'm guessing that each glyph in Destiny's address will be a universal representation of the Nth glyph for any particular network. The actual addresses would be in Destiny's database, which is updated from gate seeders.
    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

My theory is that they are unique symbols which comprise something similar to a serial number.
      How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Didnt TPTB said that the glyphs are actually words?
        Thats why they work in any galaxy with all types of gates?
        "Do you know what's the Chain of Command?? It's the chain i'm gonna beat you
        with until you realize who's in rotten command here." - Jayne Cobb

Comment

The fact alone that Pegasus and Milky Way has different number of glyphs puts a damper on that thought. The pronunciation for glyphs is there for convenience, and most likely an afterthought. So implementations of such mnemonic devices is most likely a local thing. Even if inhabitants of other galaxies use such shorthands, they are likely to have nothing in common with ones used by Ancients in Milky Way.
          MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan Reynolds View Post
            Didnt TPTB said that the glyphs are actually words?
            Thats why they work in any galaxy with all types of gates?
            No: there was concept art of the new 'Gate that said that they were star names in Ancient, but the symbols actually looked like writing in that concept (as opposed to the squiggly lines and dots now on the 'Gate).

This has, however, presumably changed since then.

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
            It connects to a local network, and the local network will use local constellations or simply specific stars for addresses. So I'm guessing that each glyph in Destiny's address will be a universal representation of the Nth glyph for any particular network. The actual addresses would be in Destiny's database, which is updated from gate seeders.
            The problem with this is that, from what we have seen, the local 'Gates are identical to the 'Gate on the Destiny.

Also note that it seems that there really isn't a "network," as it where. From what we have learned, the Stargates in Universe not only have a severe range limit (keeping them from dialing more than a handful of other Stargates), they also lack DHDs: the only way to dial them would appear to be the remote for the Kino.
            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I wonder if this squiggly lines and dots now on the Gate belong to Furling race language or Solenoids race language post here or other alien race lanuage ? what you guys think this gate language belong to which alien language ?
              Spoiler:
              here image stargate

Comment

Looks like some hibred form of... trinary.

Comment

A very interesting thing.
                  Since the seeder ships and the Destiny are very very old... maybe the gates we see at Universe are "Mk.I" gates, primitive "stand-in" gates, so the ancients could get there, see what was going on on the planet, and then think of planting another kind of gate. Maybe they were gates like these at the beginning in the Pegasus Galaxy, then the Ancients arrived there and made the "Mk.III"(Mk.II being the Milky Way ones), definitive ones.
                  Carson Beckett M. D.: How come I never make friends like that?
                  Dr. Rodney McKay: You need to get out more.
                  ...We're in another galaxy. How much more out can you get?

Comment

Completely original characters used like serial numbers. The Destiny gate contains 36 symbols just like the Pegasus gates.

1,168,675,200 possible 7-symbol addresses
                    33,891,580,800 possible 8-symbol addresses
                    948,964,262,400 possible 9-symbol addresses
                    How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

I don't know why, but I think it's numbers.

Maybe it was some earlier fan speculation that has twisted my mind

Still.. Numbers (Y)
                      I have sworn an oath to never change this signature again!

Comment

yeah, I think they're just arbitrary numerical representations. This (presumably) among the oldest stargates in the universe so it's not a stretch to think that it was pretty cut and dry in terms of interface.

Just compare computers of the 70s and 80s to today; before it was all dos and command lines, now we have nice easy to understand interfaces. Similarly with gates, the first would likely be very mathematical but as time progresses they say "well, we're using points in space, let's use constellations to represent them".

Remember that a glyph isn't literally a point in space (after all, constellations are made of stars that are light-years apart) but rather pictures assigned to mathematical aspects.
                        I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello.

Comment

Originally posted by aarlin81 View Post
                          Completely original characters used like serial numbers. The Destiny gate contains 36 symbols just like the Pegasus gates.

1,168,675,200 possible 7-symbol addresses
                          33,891,580,800 possible 8-symbol addresses
                          948,964,262,400 possible 9-symbol addresses
                          I'm confused, where are you getting these numbers. I get
                          36 nPr 7= 42,072,307,200
                          36 nPr 8= 1,220,096,909,000
                          36 nPr 9= 34, 162,713,450,000
                          I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello.

Comment

Likely because of the nature of the destiny they couldn't use constellations. Instead they used numbers that the computer could assign to constellations depending which galaxy they were in.

Comment

The whole gate made me laugh the sybols i thought they where some ancient version of punctuation and the fact theat the whole gate spins thats another story

Comment

Working...
                              X