This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How could they get home?

This reminded me of a conversation I had with my big brother in regards to Star Trek Voyager about 9 years ago when in that series, we all mostly know U.S.S Voyager was catapulted to the other side of the galaxy to the Delta Quadrant and was 75,000 lights years from Earth. Many stated that all Voyager had to do was head towards the Gamma Quadrant, head to that DS9 wormhole, then they can be home back in the Alpha Quadrant in a couple of years, if not months.

Then this got me thinking about SGU. They are stranded billions of light years away, dozens of galaxies away from Milky Way, with the only gate in the MW that they can connect to (supposedly) from Destiny destroyed when the planet exploded. What if every galaxy has this one-off gate and there is a special gate in the PG, the Destiny's database must have a library of these special one-off gates.

We also know with Atlantis, they have the one and only crystal that permits gating back to Earth from the PG. Sure we don't know the power requirements required to dial the 9th Chevron but assume they have it onboard Destiny and Rush and Co. finds the co-ordinates, they can dial to the Pegasus Galaxy, a ship (Daedalus) can head off to the PG with the control crystal, then they can dial Earth and send stranded people home.

Too simplistic? lol
    Last edited by JackHarkness_Hot; 04 October 2009, 02:14 AM.

Finally the pilot for SGU aired and the poor Icarus Base survivors are in a galaxy far far away.It's kinda early but let's start meditating on possible and even theoretical ways of getting back home.Let's think outside the box. Any ideas?
    I find beer a refreshing substitute for ... food

Comment

I'm actually hoping they don't take the SG:A route and make it nothing special at all to go back and forth by the second season.

The whole "farther away from home than you could imagine" premise has extremely great potential, especially for character development. But the problem is that you can only have them return once; after that it loses it's appeal.

The whole Ancient communication device kind of ruins the whole "lost in space" feel.

Comment

Well they could dial the gate back home. The ship has apparently gone on for tens of thousands of years without losing power.

Or they could fly back home, the ship has jumped between dozens of galaxies and is still moving now.

Or this could be the premise of the show's script that will avoid anything that breaks that. The alternatives are doing what SGA did, which ruined a portion of the storyline or atmosphere, or going like BSG/Voyager and finding their way right at the end of the show.

It's a plot device in other words, they'll hum and haw over it for the next few episodes, forget that they miss home by the end of the season and that'll be that.

Comment

Ninth Chevron Wormhole Drive
          Neera: "You do not fear them?"
          : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

The gate on the ship works so they just need enough power to dial back to Earth. We know a ZPM will allow a gate to connect to another galaxy. So the equivalent of a ZPM should allow them to dial Earth.

Comment

What your saying makes no sense.

Both in reguards to star trek voyager, and SG:U

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                I'm actually hoping they don't take the SG:A route and make it nothing special at all to go back and forth by the second season.

The whole "farther away from home than you could imagine" premise has extremely great potential, especially for character development. But the problem is that you can only have them return once; after that it loses it's appeal.

The whole Ancient communication device kind of ruins the whole "lost in space" feel.
                The one thing that gets me about this is the re-supply of essential combat items. Sure water and food can be acquired from the locals, but how are they going to re-supply ammo, batteries and the like?

Without the re-supply from SGC, like Scott said, "Once the batteries are dead, they're dead!"...

I think that at least having contact with SGC (even one way) when Destiny drops out of FTL is still a decent way of maintaining supplies?!

Comment

actually if the ship has power, the batteries can be recharged.

however, rush stated that the ship was underpowered and dialling earth would not be smart. maybe not even possible.

i hope that we get to explore a long dead civilization and we find an artefact similar to a goauld eye. then we use it to power the ship for a while. i hope that over the season and even seasons, slowly piece by piece we collect stuff and repair the ship. or well, jerry rig it so it works good enough

Comment

agree, it could be cool to gather stuff from their trip and use it to repair the ship.Hopefully they will encounter many aliens in many galaxies before this happens.
                    I'm just speculating here but if one of the galaxies they pass through is the ori galaxy they could use the supergate to return.That of course, if they pass through the ori galaxy and if they can turn the ship arround, or use something else.As i said just an idea.
                    I find beer a refreshing substitute for ... food

Comment

Originally posted by SaUr0n View Post
                      agree, it could be cool to gather stuff from their trip and use it to repair the ship.Hopefully they will encounter many aliens in many galaxies before this happens.
                      I'm just speculating here but if one of the galaxies they pass through is the ori galaxy they could use the supergate to return.That of course, if they pass through the ori galaxy and if they can turn the ship arround, or use something else.As i said just an idea.
                      Hey that's an idea...hitting the Ori galaxy...perhaps to see the aftermath of SG1...

Then through to Pegasus to see the aftermath of SGA!

Nice callback for the previous two franchies!

Comment

While I agree that they should try to get their hands on alien tech, I think they should also try to connect with Pegasus. If they can get their hands on Wraith tech, they might be able to grow patches over the hull breaches and grow a skeleton to reinforce the structure of the ship.
                        sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

I bet the seeder ships are the key to getting home.

Comment

the destiny is the key to home. except that it is extremely old, damaged, and low on power.

a ZPM would not be good, i doubt the ship can handle the energy.

the best would be to, over the seasons, salvage stuff from other ships and slowly piece by piece repair the ships. the exploration suits are excellent. they could give access to damaged areas. right now, they have to seal off the damaged areas, get the lifesupport online and do a full damage report. make a list of the supplies we have and the supplies we need. the Destiny is automated, so it will bring us to planets with the stuff we need.

if we go to an ice or water planet, i think we should get enough water/ice for a long journey. AND, so we can get oxygen when needed.

i hope we can salvage parts of the ship and use it to repair other parts. also as i said, i hope we encounter damaged alien ships and salvage the materials onboard. just as we should salvage alien artefacts that deliver power and possibly even get some alien lifeforms for food.

that said, Lifesupport could also be made by getting plants onboard and installing some sun-mimicking lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Encoder View Post
                              Hey that's an idea...hitting the Ori galaxy...perhaps to see the aftermath of SG1...
                              What is the point in sending a ship to seed stargates to your natural enemies' galaxy ?
                              La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                              L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Working...
                              X