Heroes in SGU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heroes in SGU

So, you've seen the show by now, and read the forum boards. What all of you missed was a genuine hero in this premier episode. Someone who gave his life to save the rest, if only for one extra day.

Spoiler:
    The senator from California came over as a bit of a windbag at first, completely aware of his own importance. But when it came down to it, he was the one to freely give his own life to save everybody else.

So let's celebrate the heroes of SGU, and save the constant bickering for those reality shows the networks are sooo fond of lately.

I don't need any "genuine heroes," really; I was sick of the perfect characters we saw in the past shows, who could never do any wrong, and even when they did screw up were forgiven instantly. I much prefer people I can relate to.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
      I don't need any "genuine heroes," really; I was sick of the perfect characters we saw in the past shows, who could never do any wrong, and even when they did screw up were forgiven instantly. I much prefer people I can relate to.
      Ditto. I loved Shepard, O'neil got old after the first five seasons, and Browder, while awesome in his own way, never got the time to shine. This is a good thing for the series.
      Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

I agree with the original poster; the Senator was great.

Indeed, at the end he gave his life to save everyone elses'. However, there were other, subtler things he did:

1. During the evacuation, when one of the civilians fell to the ground, he quickly helped her up; if he hadn't, she would've probably been trampled to death.

2. When Scott and Greer blew open the pile of rocks that was blocking one of the Icarus corridors, the Senator was the last through; he made sure everyone else got out before him safely before going through himself.

3. And, of course, he seemed to be a great father to Chloe.

He was a good man.

Comment

the Senator giving up his life & the "i love you" to Chloe was a very good and moving scene i was not expecting.

Comment

I agree. He was awesome. I didn't like him early on, but I'm not sure we were supposed to. I mean, he wasn't bad or anything, but... you know, self-important. But he was human. I really like that touch so far in SGU.

I seriously wasn't expecting him to be the one to do what he did. I kept thinking, 'oh, gee, the colonel, of course.'
            If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

at first i thought he would be like kensly but yeah he was a cool character i didnt even notice that he made sure to be the last one through when greer and scott blew the wall now i wonder who commits suicide i read that a main character i hope its the ioa chick

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
                I agree. He was awesome. I didn't like him early on, but I'm not sure we were supposed to. I mean, he wasn't bad or anything, but... you know, self-important. But he was human. I really like that touch so far in SGU.

I seriously wasn't expecting him to be the one to do what he did. I kept thinking, 'oh, gee, the colonel, of course.'
                I called that he would be the one, they were setting it up pretty obviously with all the pills and the bruising, but it was still pretty well done, I dug him for what he was.
                Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

Indeed, at the end he gave his life to save everyone elses'. However, there were other, subtler things he did:

1. During the evacuation, when one of the civilians fell to the ground, he quickly helped her up; if he hadn't, she would've probably been trampled to death.

2. When Scott and Greer blew open the pile of rocks that was blocking one of the Icarus corridors, the Senator was the last through; he made sure everyone else got out before him safely before going through himself.

3. And, of course, he seemed to be a great father to Chloe.

He was a good man.
                  Isn't that unrealastic? Most politicians aren't good men
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
                    I called that he would be the one, they were setting it up pretty obviously with all the pills and the bruising, but it was still pretty well done, I dug him for what he was.
                    Yeah, I noticed a lot of people called it. I guess my perception just wasn't up-to-snuff there. Depressing.

Regardless, I liked what happened with it for sure.
                    If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Very good point, Wildrose Wally! I was rather bemoaning the lack of heroes, for all I'm trying to take the show for what it is, and give something different a chance, but he really was a straight up hero. I was so relieved that they didn't actually sort through the list to find less usefull people and ask them to die (which would have been irredeemable and a 'done with this show' moment for me), that while I was touched and saddened by his sacrifice, I didn't actually consider it in detail. I did gain a lot of respect for Scott when he asked Chloe to tell him about her father.

Maybe that's something we'll see more of, people who we underestimate, or don't even really consider who step up to be heroes when it's needed.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        I agree. This is probably the biggest plot hole in the entire series...

Politicians are evil

Comment

Exactly! Thus, when they do show one who seems like a nice guy, you immediately gravitate towards him, probably thinking something like "Ugh, why can't MY senator be like that?!"

Comment

I wouldn't say that. Most politicians are good people, trying to do the right thing. we only hear about the worst of the worst. The ones that don't do anything wrong you never hear about.

I really can't wait to see how my new favorite anti-hero Rush is going to play out. I mean, lets be honest, the only reason no one trust him is that he is the only guy with an accent.

James Bond taught me not to trust people with accents.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

<snip>
                              He was a good man.
                              Very much agreed. Not a perfect man but his heart was in the right place.
                              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Working...
                              X