Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if u immediately no the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if u immediately no the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago

what does it mean? it is mentioned a lot and it doesnt seem like any of the characters no wat it means. (not even ascended daniel)

Well what you posted in your thread title is not even a sentence.

Come on kids, take the .005 seconds out of your day to fully type the words. Especially ones that have another meaning when you "shorten" them. Such as know becoming no.

Comment

it wouldnt fit w/o shortening know. i dont like it either, srry.

Comment

Firstly I sewcond what SG-17 said, four extra keystrokes isn't going to kill you

Secondly; I think the whole point is that the human brain is incapable of comprehending it - so if it made sense, than it wouldn't be a representation of a level of understanding that can only be achieved through millions of years of evolution.

That being said, there may have been an actual meaning that the writers included as a double meaning, or as a way of deciding which piece of hypothetical wisdom they would include in the script...or even as a joke!

If I was trying to apply a meaning to it - I'd say it is making the point that if you don't look forward, than you will only recognise the situation in hindsight - i.e. if by the time you realise the candlelight is a flame, the meal will have already been cooked because you were too slow to notice the situation develop.

Or it is something about non-linear time that non-corporial being may inhabit; which is bull**** anyway, so there is no point in looking for a deeper meaning to it.
        I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
          Firstly I sewcond what SG-17 said, four extra keystrokes isn't going to kill you

Secondly; I think the whole point is that the human brain is incapable of comprehending it - so if it made sense, than it wouldn't be a representation of a level of understanding that can only be achieved through millions of years of evolution.

That being said, there may have been an actual meaning that the writers included as a double meaning, or as a way of deciding which piece of hypothetical wisdom they would include in the script...or even as a joke!

If I was trying to apply a meaning to it - I'd say it is making the point that if you don't look forward, than you will only recognise the situation in hindsight - i.e. if by the time you realise the candlelight is a flame, the meal will have already been cooked because you were too slow to notice the situation develop.

Or it is something about non-linear time that non-corporial being may inhabit; which is bull**** anyway, so there is no point in looking for a deeper meaning to it.
          What he said!

Comment

Though the candlelight burns in my house, nobody is home.

Comment

Its as much jibberish as Obama saying "we are close to capturing bin laden"
              Tst

Comment

I suppose you could ask the writers.

My interpretation is that it is the inverse to occam's razor.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Comment

(Ooooh, I hate shortened words !!!)
                  I think it could mean many things

If the fire is raging, it has already been fuelled
                  (heheh, you can figure that out)
                  If you see that the candle light (good) is fire (associated with evil) then meal (the plan, trickery) was cooked (conjured) a long time ago
                  (Pre-destination)
                  ET CETERA !
                  Last edited by Supreme Commander Sil; 03 October 2009, 11:47 PM. Reason: Slight modifications for clarity :)

Comment

The wheel is turning, but the Hamster's dead.
                    "i'm not doctor weir"

yeah, damn straight.

Comment

I always thought, well not always... But I believed it referred to growing as a society to reach ascention. Knowing that a candle is fire refers to knowledge. Knowledge is attained from those before us, how to do agriculure, how to make planes and so on. Therefore knowing what a candlelight is (fire) when you see it, means that you have been taught it without testing it. We all know candlelight is fire, yet not all of us have gone and touched it to make sure (even if accidentally) and burnt ourselves. Ascending usually happens when your culture reaches it apex of knowledge and brain fucntion.
                      Or at least that's my understanding

Comment

If you immediately know the candle light is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

The true 'meal' is the realisation that the candelight is fire.
                        Therefore in knowing that the candlelight is fire, you already had the wisdom and knowledge needed to cook the meal and consume it.

A real world example would be

If you immediately know the world is a sphere(as opposed to being flat), then you already have the knowledge of modern astronomy behind you.

essentially....

Simple Truths = Greater Truths

Comment

somebody made a great parody, which ironically makes it more comprehendable.

If you immediately know the episode is a re-run, the show was cancelled a long time ago.

essentially by knowing, the process of realization has happened already.

to the replicators, the knowledge is empty because it is just knowledge, without the comprehension of why and how. candlelight is fire. useless if you do not know that you can cook a meal with fire.

Comment

there were re-runs of sg-1 episodes long before it was cancelled

Comment

Can't be much of a meal cooked on a candle. I suppose if you're patient you could do an egg.
                              Personally, I think it means nothing. It's just something that was written to sound profound.

A bit like "How many roads must a man walk down?"
                              (The answer to which, according to white mice, is "42".)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X