Tumbling Through the Gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tumbling Through the Gate

Why was everyone falling through? Is it because the ramp-gate elevation at Icarus Base was different than the floor-gate elevation on the Destiny?

...Because they were told to give a three count before each person enters, but all decided to run blindly in a huge herd, all at once? Come on, seriously.
    Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Jackson View Post
      Why was everyone falling through? Is it because the ramp-gate elevation at Icarus Base was different than the floor-gate elevation on the Destiny?
      Probably because the Destiny gate hasn't been updated for stellar drift in several million years. Wasn't that what caused people to be thrown out of the gate in the early days of the Stargate Program, until Carter adjusted the one in SGC to compensate for it?
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Part of me wonders if it might have to do with jumping such a vast distance. We've never done that before, and it's definitely the case that this could just be an (as of yet) unexplained aspect of long-distance gate travel.

I don't remember off-hand, but didn't something similar happen to O'Neill when he traveled to the Ida galaxy when the 8th chevron was used for the first time?
        Sig by Pandora's Box
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          Probably because the Destiny gate hasn't been updated for stellar drift in several million years. Wasn't that what caused people to be thrown out of the gate in the early days of the Stargate Program, until Carter adjusted the one in SGC to compensate for it?
          This also makes sense, all of the gate addresses in that system were updated with her program, so no matter how many gates they visted they were all accounted for.
          Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

[QUOTE=Coronach;10666791]Part of me wonders if it might have to do with jumping such a vast distance. We've never done that before, and it's definitely the case that this could just be an (as of yet) unexplained aspect of long-distance gate travel.QUOTE]

I agree - I figured it was just because it was the first time for a 9 chevron trip. I was watching with someone who had never watched any Stargate eps before, and her reaction was - "Wow, I've never seen characters introduced like this before!"
            "I'd love to de-brief you all after I've de-briefed myself for a nice hot shower."

Comment

Originally posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
              ...Because they were told to give a three count before each person enters, but all decided to run blindly in a huge herd, all at once? Come on, seriously.
              Lt. Scott was the first one to calmly mosey on through with no interference from people following him and he fell on his ass after exiting the wormhole. Come on, seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Jackson View Post
                Lt. Scott was the first one to calmly mosey on through with no interference from people following him and he fell on his ass after exiting the wormhole. Come on, seriously.
                Seriously dude, I mean, come on!

No, you're totally right, I should have thought about it a bit more, so look up a few posts and you'll see I agree with the Carter theory.

Comment

Maybe it had something to do with the unstable power source of the planets core? We've seen previous instances where power fluctuations cause various issues.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's a combination of the ramp elevation being different, the destiny gate being ridiculously old and unused, and the long distance. There are several interesting ways it could be explained.

What I didn't quite get is why boxes were flying through in the beginning. During the flashback, nobody was throwing them through the gate.
                    I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello.

Comment

This also makes sense, all of the gate addresses in that system were updated with her program, so no matter how many gates they visted they were all accounted for.
                      The other gates haves DHDs. All the gates within a network update periodically when connected to a DHD. The SGC uses a "dialing computer" that must simulate a DHD.
                      How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Originally posted by aarlin81 View Post
                        The other gates haves DHDs. All the gates within a network update periodically when connected to a DHD. The SGC uses a "dialing computer" that must simulate a DHD.
                        And this gate they connected to couldn't have been worked into the program because by its nature it is constantly on the move in a way that, unlike stellar drift, isn't predictable? Am I understanding her program correctly? Never been HUGE on the tech, even though it interests me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pianomancuber View Post
                          Yeah, I think it's a combination of the ramp elevation being different, the destiny gate being ridiculously old and unused, and the long distance. There are several interesting ways it could be explained.

What I didn't quite get is why boxes were flying through in the beginning. During the flashback, nobody was throwing them through the gate.
                          Maybe power fluctuations caused the objects people were carrying to be transmitted separately and at different times?

Comment

And this gate they connected to couldn't have been worked into the program because by its nature it is constantly on the move in a way that, unlike stellar drift, isn't predictable? Am I understanding her program correctly?
                            It would seem that establishing a connection between Stargates is not a hit-or-miss affair: if your Stargate is poorly aligned, then it is possible to "almost miss"; you still establish a connection, but the ride is a little bumpier, etc.

This is what was happening in early SG-1 when they were being thrown from the 'Gate: the destination wasn't where the Stargate thought it should be, so its aim was off and the connection was poor.

Now, the farther the distance, the more accurate your aim has to be. Going across the galaxy (~100,000 light-years), an error of 1/10,000 of a degree will put you roughly 0.2 light-years off course; not exactly small, but still in the correct solar system. Going from Milky Way to Pegasus (3 million light-years), this same error of 1/10,000 of a degree will put you about 5 light-years off course; still not small, but probably enough to put you at the right 'Gate address.

However, at a billion light-years, this 1/10,000 of a degree error inflates to put you roughly 2,000 light years off course.

It is possible that the Stargate has some maximum accuracy that it is physically incapable of exceeding. It seems almost certain that if that is the case, it would be much, much smaller than 1/10,000 of a degree. Nevertheless, if any such limit existed, it would cause any wormhole connected to the Destiny from the Milky Way to be off course, just like the wormholes in early SG-1, which were off course be case the 'Gate addresses were wrong.
                            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

It could also be the core was unstable and power fluctuations had a factor in it as well. We have seen in previously that when the power fluctuates people are thrown out of the gate.

Comment

Working...
                              X