Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you prefer Michael Shanks or James Spader as Daniel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you prefer Michael Shanks or James Spader as Daniel?

Yes, I done a search and found mainly RDA vs Russell debates, so I thought I'd throw this one in the mix.

It's a tricky one, as they both play the character well IMO. But if I have to think about who I would like to watch over a ten season period, then I would have to go with Michael Shanks.
    Oh, and RDA for the win regards Jack O'Neill

Just so this thread is not a total waste - what does everyone think regarding the planned movies continuing off from were the first Stargate movie ended?

Personally I'm not sure I would be that interested. Alot of time has passed since then and so much has been achieved with the TV series, I just think it would confuse the heck out of everyone.
    From what I understand, it would take place ten years after the events in the first movie. That would be a good start, but they will have to take a fresh approach going in to ensure a renewed interest. While the time frame suits the recasting of Spader and Russell perfectly, would you still use the original actors?

Shanks, for sure. Even though Action Jackson is bloody boring, Shanks has brought a lot to the table for the character.

Besides, Spader's gotten fat

Originally posted by Stu View Post
    Just so this thread is not a total waste - what does everyone think regarding the planned movies continuing off from were the first Stargate movie ended?
    It'll never happen, and I don't mind.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Oh shanks big time., I actually prefer "action jackson" as some call him, because he did a great job showing how the character grew and matured. No comment digi...but you're right about spader

Comment

the two could be siblings

Comment

Is this even a question ? SHANKS !!!

Spader... errrrrrmm... is... well... .... he wasn't that great... he also made Daniel look like a bit of a poof
          So, yeah, DEFINITELY Shanks ! (Plus you can make jokes involving lamb shanks ! Tastes like chicken )

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
            Spader... errrrrrmm... is... well... .... he wasn't that great... he also made Daniel look like a bit of a poof
            Good point Shanks all the way

Comment

Shanks 100%

Comment

I really like both. One did a wonderful job in the movie, the other took that character and consistantly developed him over a twelve year period. Both deserve their props, one for creating such a memorable and likable character, the other for taking that character and running with it, making him perhaps the most non-static character in television history. Kudos to both.

Comment

Hah hah... errr.. Shanks, no debate possible!
                  Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Michael Shanks
                    Sig by Pandora's Box
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
                      no debate possible!
                      I beg to differ!

But seriously, I have never seen two different actors play the same character with such continuity - I'd say Rocky III style freezeframe ending
                      I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

Seeing as how Spader looked ALOT like Shanks in season 1, I can't say either. We've seen Shanks grow over ten years, from looking like Spader.

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
                          Seeing as how Spader looked ALOT like Shanks in season 1, I can't say either. We've seen Shanks grow over ten years, from looking like Spader.
                          I remember reading some time ago that the reason they casted Shanks was because his audition was so much like Spader that it was creepy. I think even in season 1 he had his own style, but the comparison was remarkable. I watched Children of the Gods recently and was amused at what taking off ten years of character development can do.
                          Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Shanks all the way.

Spader was okay in the movie but Shanks was the penultimate Daniel Jackson
                            Burn brightly without burning out! Richard Biggs
                            Burnt, battered, busted! Ding dong the pod is dead! John Crichton
                            Indeed! Teal'c

Comment

Spader was okay in the movie but Shanks was the penultimate Daniel Jackson
                              It's not really a fair comparison, one movie vs over ten years of developing the character.

Comment

Working...
                              X