Inconsistencies Across Canon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inconsistencies Across Canon

This is a thread for light hearted conversation about plot holes, inconsistencies, and just plain wackiness throughout all of Star Trek canon. Remember this is supposed to be light hearted, so don't get too bent up on defending something as not an inconsistency. Although non combative discussions using fanon to fill in such holes is welcome.

(Disclaimer: For the purposes of this thread, Canon refers to all episodes of TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT as originally televised and the theatrical releases of all 11 movies. If an inconsistency is in a scene cut from an episode, or only in the directors cut from a movie, it's not an inconsistency, as it was never meant to be seen, was it? Although such things can be used to shed light on issues of canon if needed.)

I'll start of with my favorite. In TNG "Samaritan Snare" Wesley states, and Picard confirms, that the Klingons are Federation members. In later episodes there is little to no evidence that the Klingons are, or have ever been Federation members.
    "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
    "Those who abandon the path are evil."
    "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

VOY: Renaissance Man- the doctor activates the ECH with chakotay's voice but without his command code. If Janeway had to use her command code to activate the ECH (VOY: workforce Pt1), there is not way he didn't need to.

there are a ton more from voyager, but I just have that one for now.

the only thing I can think of to explain it is maybe at first the ECR didn't need command codes, and it was added later on to keep him from taking command like that, OR that they got rid of the command code requirement later on ( I forget which episode came first)

Comment

I remember it just screwed with my head that Saavik was the wrong person in Star Trek II TWOK. Of course it was also impossible for me to reconcile that becuase I saw Star Trek III TSFS first.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mastage Kidd View Post
        If an inconsistency is in a scene cut from an episode, or only in the directors cut from a movie, it's not an inconsistency, as it was never meant to be seen, was it? Although such things can be used to shed light on issues of canon if needed.)
        Point of order: the canonicity of directors' cuts has never actually been addressed, and there's actually no official standing on whether they're to be considered canon or not.

Originally posted by The Mastage Kidd View Post
        I'll start of with my favorite. In TNG "Samaritan Snare" Wesley states, and Picard confirms, that the Klingons are Federation members. In later episodes there is little to no evidence that the Klingons are, or have ever been Federation members.
        Indeed. Though I despise season 1-2 Wesley enough that I pass that one off as der wunderkind trying to keep up his image of perfection.

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
        I remember it just screwed with my head that Saavik was the wrong person in Star Trek II TWOK. Of course it was also impossible for me to reconcile that becuase I saw Star Trek III TSFS first.
        Well you've just got that completely backward, haven't you
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

A couple of my own:

Vulcan's appearance -- In TOS it had a red sky and was said to have no moon. In TAS, the sky was yellow and it had a moon. In the theatrical cut of TMP, the sky was black (despite daylight lighting) and there were several moons. In the director's cut of TMP, the sky was still black, but the moons had been removed.

The Klingon Forehead Problem was most adequately explained by Worf's "we do not discuss it with outsiders" line

The reboot Enterprise was under construction....in Iowa, where presumably enormous shadows for extended periods of time would be detrimental to crop growing, why? Moreover, why was a massive, heavy starship being constructed on the ground?

Gee Tau Cygna V (TNG, 'The Ensigns of Command') and Volon II (DS9, 'The Maquis') look a lot alike....they even have the exact same pipe running down from the mountain
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

One I've noticed is that there is no way the refit Enterprise came from the Constitution Starship. You would have to completely strip the hull, frame and decks and start over from ..go. But that's just my nit pick.

Oh and a famous one.
            Checkov "never" met Khan

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              A couple of my own:

Vulcan's appearance -- In TOS it had a red sky and was said to have no moon. In TAS, the sky was yellow and it had a moon. In the theatrical cut of TMP, the sky was black (despite daylight lighting) and there were several moons. In the director's cut of TMP, the sky was still black, but the moons had been removed.
              The sky does change color. We have blue, orange, red purple, and black. Who's to say that Vulcan doesn't do the same? The "moons" may have been close planets with their own moons, as is speculated in books.

The Klingon Forehead Problem was most adequately explained by Worf's "we do not discuss it with outsiders" line
              This is explained in the Enterprise episodes "Affliction" and "Divergence."

The reboot Enterprise was under construction....in Iowa, where presumably enormous shadows for extended periods of time would be detrimental to crop growing, why? Moreover, why was a massive, heavy starship being constructed on the ground?
              One theory I've heard is that it was going to be built in California, but was changed to Iowa in honor of Kirk's father. Maybe it's more economical to build it on the ground, where you don't need space suits, and then tractor it up to fit it out.

Gee Tau Cygna V (TNG, 'The Ensigns of Command') and Volon II (DS9, 'The Maquis') look a lot alike....they even have the exact same pipe running down from the mountain
              And every planet in Stargate looks like British Colombia. Maybe it's a coincidence.

I don't remember what was said, but the Klingons being "in" the Federation may just mean they are close allies.

Khan never meeting Chekov: Khan may have saw Chekov in passing and not on screen, and before you say Chekov was not on the ship, he may have been there, but wasn't a bridge crew yet, and as such, completely unimportant.

Last edited by Specter177; 01 October 2009, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Specter177 View Post
                The sky does change color. We have blue, orange, red purple, and black. Who's to say that Vulcan doesn't do the same? The "moons" may have been close planets with their own moons, as is speculated in books.
                Books aren't canon, and they're most certainly moons.

This is explained in the Enterprise episodes "Affliction" and "Divergence."
                Only if you're of the (wrong) school of thought that Enterprise is actually Star Trek

One theory I've heard is that it was going to be built in California, but was changed to Iowa in honor of Kirk's father. Maybe it's more economical to build it on the ground, where you don't need space suits, and then tractor it up to fit it out.
                Heh, because tractor beaming it off the ground is a simple task, right? Certainly wouldn't have massive power requirements that would be totally avoided by inconveniencing a few welders either

And every planet in Stargate looks like British Colombia. Maybe it's a coincidence.
                Tau Cygna V

Volon III (I meant III in my previous post too, typo )

Comment

How bout a non warp missle reaching the Amagosa star in 6 seconds....

Comment

Picard using the Nexus to go back and fight soren on the planet.

The Nexus can take him to any time/place... why not go back to when he met Soren on the enterprise and arrest him there?

Plot hole...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post

The Nexus can take him to any time/place... why not go back to when he met Soren on the enterprise and arrest him there?

Plot hole...
                      I don't recall the Nexus delivering people to any place just any time.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

If the Klingons arent' Federation members, how come Worf serves in Starfleet? I suppose it could be explained by the fact that his adoptive parents are from Earth. Still, I think the assumption that Klingons are Federation members is easy to make given that there was almost no opposition to Worf's appointment, at least not on the Starfleet side. Other Klingons didn't always like it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                          If the Klingons arent' Federation members, how come Worf serves in Starfleet? I suppose it could be explained by the fact that his adoptive parents are from Earth. Still, I think the assumption that Klingons are Federation members is easy to make given that there was almost no opposition to Worf's appointment, at least not on the Starfleet side. Other Klingons didn't always like it.
                          This can be explained in two ways. Non-Federation citizens can serve in Star Fleet if a Star Fleet officer sponsers them. This is evident from DS9 with Nog and Sisko. Also it could argued that since Worf was raised by Federation citizens that he was asked for citizen status. Modern countries do that to refuges all the time.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            I don't recall the Nexus delivering people to any place just any time.
                            Picard: "Guiana, can I leave the Nexus?

Guianan: "Where would you go?"

Picard: "I don't understand"...

Guinan: "Well as I said, time has no meaning here, so if you leave, you can go anywhere... any time.

And the plot hole comes in...

Picard: "Alright, I know where I want to go, to the mountaintop on Veridian III to stop Soran from destroying the star.

Comment

Plot hole...
                              Picard: "Guiana, can I leave the Nexus?

Guianan: "Where would you go?"

Picard: "I don't understand"...

Guinan: "Well as I said, time has no meaning here, so if you leave, you can go anywhere... any time.

And the plot hole comes in...

Picard: "Alright, I know where I want to go, to the mountaintop on Veridian III to stop Soran from destroying the star.

You obviously know your canon, sir.

"Inconsistency": How does a Bird of Prey even take out an unshielded Galaxy Class Starship when the Borg ripped the Enterprise a new one...twice and it survived just fine?

Comment

Working...
                              X