• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAN REVIEWS: 'Air, Part 3'

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE UNIVERSE - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 103

Lt. Scott leads a team to a desert planet to locate a mineral capable of fixing Destiny's life support system. Chloe visits her mother on Earth.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>

GATEWORLD FAN REVIEWS

Calling All Writers! Tell the world what you think of the newest episodes of Stargate Universe! We want you to share your thoughtful and well-reasoned evaluation of episodes. But we do have some guidelines, so please read carefully before submitting your review.

This thread does not function like normal threads at GateWorld! Read this post carefully.

Fan Review threads are not for conversation, even if it is discussing a member's review. For that, please use the official GateWorld episode discussion threads in this folder, or start a new thread. All posts to this thread that are conversational will be immediately deleted.

Fan Review threads are strictly reserved for formal reviews, which are deemed by the moderators to meet the following four guidelines:
      (1) LENGTH. Your review must be a minimum of 400 words and a maximum of 1,000 words.

(2) FORMALITY. Your review should be in a formal prose style (not informal and conversational, as regular forum posts are), following the Introduction - Body - Conclusion form. (The best reviews will include a single, encapsulated statement evaluating the overall episode that is stated in the introduction, defended in the body, and restated in the conclusion.)

(3) EDITORIALIZING. This piece is about your opinion of this specific episode. Do not summarize scenes or plot points, and generally avoid objective analysis of developments in story arcs, characters, etc. Assume that your readers have seen the episode you are discussing. Your review should give your opinion of various aspects of the episode (see below), not simply inform.

Beyond this, your ultimate goal is to challenge readers to think about the episode in a way they may not have when they first saw it. Avoid phrases like "I liked" and "I didn't like." Don't merely state what you thought -- defend it with examples.

Aspects of the episode that you might want to include in your review are (you do not need to cover every item on this list!):

Story
        Character use
        Dialogue
        Writing
        Acting
        Directing
        Guest casting
        Music / score
        Visual effects
        Editing
        Costumes & makeup
        Overall production value
        Contribution to story arcs / overall series

(4) FAIRNESS. Very few episodes that you dislike are without a few saving graces, just as very few episodes that you love are completely without flaw. Avoid unqualified gushing on the one hand, or unbalanced negativism on the other. Personal attacks on the show's cast or crew are strictly forbidden.

By posting a reply to this thread, you are submitting a Fan Review for publication here on the forum! (Questions or concerns can be directed to the moderators via Private Message or the "Ask the Moderators" thread; do not post them here.) All reviews that are deemed to sufficiently meet the guidelines above will be approved and published in this thread, regardless of the author or the opinions contained. Reviews will not be edited for content. If your review is not approved within 48 hours, please consider rewriting it (and perhaps having someone beta read it for you) and submitting it again.

By submitting a review, you agree and grant permission for it to remain published here (nonexclusively). You also grant GateWorld nonexclusive rights to edit your review and republish it elsewhere on the site, with your byline intact (as provided in the body of your review, or if none, your GateWorld Forum username at the time of republishing). GateWorld's editors reserve the right to revise these guidelines in the future.

Thanks!

All reviews are the opinion of the author
    and not necessarily that of GateWorld.net and its owner.
    Last edited by GateWorld; 02 February 2021, 06:23 PM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

More fresh "Air" from the pilot's conclusion?
    By: Daniel Shea (s09119)

"Keep your head above water, but don't forget to breathe."
    - Breathe, by Alexi Murdoch

Stranded billions of light-years from home, trapped aboard a derelict starship rushing headlong unto the unknown, and near-completely cut off from the world they've left behind, the haphazardly-assembled crew of the Destiny would seem to have enough on their collective plate to last a lifetime or two. But, in true Stargate fashion, our heroes can never have too much trouble, and "Air, Part 3" is no exception to that rule; with their vessel's life support nearing shutdown and their air supply running thinner by the second, an expedition team is thrown together to venture through the stargate to find the materials necessary to repair the damaged system. Leading the way is Lt. Matthew Scott, in terms of both the offworld adventurers and the focal points of the episode, with Chloe Armstrong playing second fiddle when she and Colonel Young body swap their way to Earth. Oh, what a day.

Firstly, this episode is a distinct break from the two portions of "Air" that came before, trading the dim corridors of the Destiny for a world of white-sand deserts and the familiar sights of Washington, D.C. that lie whole galaxies away. Deciding that contact with home is a must, Young and Ms. Armstrong use the Ancient communication stones brought along during the evacuation of Icarus Base to temporarily trade places with new face Dr. Mehta and Colonel Telford, respectively. And while Chloe faces her own tragic loss with her mother, Young visits General O'Neill at the Pentagon, desperate for some idea as to what to do next, though Jack, for once, seems at a loss as to what, exactly, can be done to help. Meanwhile, much to TJ's chagrin, Telford insists on exploring every inch of the Ancient ship that he can, forcing the inexperienced medic to ultimately sedate him or risk damaging her commanding officer's body further. The payoff of this entire exchange is, of course, when the travelers swap back into their own places, prompting Young to explain, "Son of a...! What the Hell was Telford doing!?"

Offworld, Young and Greer quickly realize the downside of being isolated in deep space with so many civilians, as Eli's heat-induced rattling off of bad jokes and Rush's stubborn insistence that this planet above all others in the Destiny database holds what they need quickly begin to grate on them. Further complicating the situation, Curtis, Palmer, and Franklin (secondary cast members all) unanimously decide that this vast desert search is a waste of time, and instead attempt to leave the others behind and explore another of the worlds listed in the computer. Cue cracking down of "the law," as Rush orders Greer to shoot Curtis before he can get through the stargate, ensuring that the kino remote—the only kind of DHD out here—stays with them. This provides an interesting look into the dynamic between the two arguably-unstable members of the crew, given that mere minutes before, Rush's argument that he had authority over the military personnel erupted into a full-blown brawl which ended with Greer's sidearm in the Scotsman's face. And yet when it all came down to the wire, the Sergeant obeys Rush's order to shoot another crewmember without hesitation, showing that despite their harsh words, they both understand what must be done for the survival of their people.

And speaking of survival, all of this is placed against the background of Scott, now the last member of the team struggling to find the lime needed to scrub the air on the ship of CO2, as he trudges through the blinding desert heat alone. Early on, he spots a strange dust devil that seems to always be just ahead of him, one that, unbeknown to him, is lapping up the water the team has been pouring on the ground after each test for useful material. In the end, the most-pleasant surprise of the episode is the revelation that this small whirlwind of sand is some form of alien consciousness, using Scott's buried guilt to communicate with him and lead him to what it understands he seeks. Just before it shows him where the lime is located, though, the audience is treated to a series of hallucinations that outline the Lieutenant's own mental struggles; first to deal with the manslaughter of his parents as a young boy, then his accidental impregnation of a girl in his youth, dashing his dreams of joining the seminary, and finally, the death of the priest who became his surrogate father when he was just sixteen, leaving him to figure out the world alone. The young man who stepped up to lead in "Air, Part 1" is growing less distant, and it is both an intriguing and welcome change to so readily inform the viewers of the flaws of the closest the crew has to the archetypal hero.

The plot, though filled with subtle nuances on various characters' pasts and relationships, turns out to be rather generic, however, something especially underscored in the final few moments, when—literally—a tickling clock counts down the seconds until the offworld team will be stranded for good. It was a foregone conclusion that they would find what they needed to mercifully return life support to the ship, but it would have been good to see a more well-developed road to getting there. Also, Chloe's meeting with her mother, a woman who's emotional state appears just as fragile as her daughter's, served only to illustrate how callous and uncaring the family can be, particularly when the grieving widow of the late Senator Armstrong vows that if her child is not returned home soon, she will disclose the secrets of the Stargate Program to the world. One comes away not sympathizing with her for her loss, but feeling put-off by her sheer ignorance of the international upheaval this would create, threatening World War III, if not more.

Nitpicking, though, is thankfully limited to generic plot devices and confusingly-written characters, for the most part, and the rest of this episode is another wonderful entry into Stargate Universe; the special effects continue to astound, although the new event horizon makes the Ancient portal look almost depressing, and the musical score is again one of Goldsmith's best efforts yet. As Scott and Greer enter into a dead sprint for the gate before their ship jumps away, the pulse-pounding and dramatic background music only heightens the action, despite the obvious knowledge that they can't not make it back.

In conclusion, "Air, Part 3" is an sharp contrast to "Air, Part 1" and "Air, Part 2," mostly because of the simple shift of focus from main plot to character development. While there was certainly a good amount of it in the premiere, it is here that you are really allowed to get inside the minds of several characters, learning things such as Dr. Rush's impoverished origins in Glasgow, Chloe's steadfast dedication to carrying on even with the loss of her father, Young's lingering doubts about how they can possible survive out here, and Scott's battles with his past. The episode is impressive not for its epic battle sequences or mind-blowing graphical achievements, but for its deep delve into the realm of what makes these people tick.

But, as seems to be the case with this new installment of the franchise, not everything is at it appears, and in the final seconds of this three-part pilot, a strange alien probe is spotted detaching from the venturing Destiny, veering off into space on some yet-unknown task. Who, or what, could have planted it there? And, perhaps more worrying, what has now been alerted to the presence of lost travelers aboard the battle-scarred vessel?

Here's to a strong start to this new take on this Stargate series, but let's all remember not to get too engrossed in the larger picture; sometimes, it helps to remind yourself not to forget to just take a moment to stop... and breathe.

"Air, Part 3": ***
    Last edited by s09119; 14 October 2009, 03:24 PM.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

The most recent episode of SG-U – I really like the sound of that, by the way – left me… unsatisfied is probably the best word. Well, except for the ending, which will, of course, have me back next week watching to see if they go into just what that pod/scoutship/drone vessel was that detached itself from the ship and how long it’d been there.

Apart from that final moment, the episode was just not very interesting. Good performances by the actors, but it seemed at times like the writers were trying to find something for the main characters to do. Not a good sign for the beginning of a series.

For example, was it necessary to show Chloe explaining the death of her father to her mother and the weak and rather drawn out “I will tell everyone if you don’t bring her back home” scene? We’d already had the emotional reaction to the Senator’s death performed quite well by Elyse Levesque in the second part of the premiere. One interesting aspect of the “stones” section of the episode was seeing how those who’ve been swapped react to their new environment. It’s one thing to use the stones with a purpose; it’s another to be the poor guy who has to swap bodies with you as Col. Telford learned the hard way – nicely written bits and well performed. The stones give the show potential for some interesting story lines. In this episode, we see examples of how their use can potentially be intriguing and also how it can be a waste. Hopefully, future uses will be more in the former category and not in the latter.

The scenes on the desert planet really began to grate. I hope these civilians can man up and stop all the whining. I realize that it’s realistic, but from an entertainment standpoint, it gets old fast. The only thing that saved this portion was Jamil Walker Smith’s quirky line readings as Master Sergeant Greer: “Walk or die here. It’s your choice, Mister… Decision-maker.” And his gait in walking back to show Eli how to use a pistol was fun to watch. I look forward to seeing how this character develops.

The “journey” that Lt. Scott went on in his attempt to locate limestone was weak. There wasn’t enough in the flashbacks to make it interesting and it seemed to have little relation to the episode as a whole. Scott tries to make it relate to Chloe’s situation, but – even he admits – it’s not really close to that at all. So, why? It seems to me that there were so many ways to make this episode interesting and I’m left with a couple of performances and a final moment in an otherwise weak episode.

Finally, as I watched this episode I was reminded of something; unfortunately, that something was Lost - a completely different series. The personal history flashback, the impossible (possibly hallucinated) visit from a dead friend and a mysterious entity that never gets explained are all elements of this episode that are reminiscent of Lost. And, while I understand the desire to reinvent the franchise, we don't need another Lost in space - pun intended.
      Last edited by entspeak; 11 October 2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

An episode of contrasts, Air Part Three continues to focus on the renewed vision of Stargate as a tale of every day humans out in the universe dealing with real problems while on the other hand taking a much more serious take on the Stargate universe itself. Good and bad in parts, the overall effect of Air Part Three is to produce something visually wonderful, intriguing and thought-provoking but which isn't very captivating at times.

Let's start with the very bad. The pacing of this third part of the story was horrendous particularly through the second and the beginning of the third act. It was so slow that at times it felt like it was walking through molasses. As a result, my attention wandered away and yet at the end I couldn't help feeling that I had missed something of import and had to go back and force myself to sit through the bits where I had drifted. What I missed wasn't very much as it turned out but still, given the overall more character driven nature, I wondered if these nuggets would somehow be of import going forward.

The plotting was a large part of the problem with the pacing. On one hand, I applaud the decision to continue showing the impact of the Senator's death. Too often in previous incarnations of Stargate, the characters reeled from the loss of a loved one in one episode only to be perky and bright the following week as though nothing had happened. That didn't happen here: kudos. BUT. And it is a big but, there isn't any forward momentum; no originality in the scenes with Chloe's mother who is a caricature at best and a cliche at worst. The one note of interest - Mrs Armstrong's threat to tell the world about the Stargate programme may have had more impact if she had been threatening Young or O'Neill or even a franchise character like Major Davis rather than the non-descript and bland Major Green (and seriously, some reaction from the actor rather than polite disinterest would have been nice).

All in all I would have preferred to have stayed with Young and O'Neill. The scene between the military command was solidly done but incredibly brief. I wanted more. If Richard Dean Anderson is making time to play Jack O'Neill in Stargate Universe then - for crying out loud - make the most of him. While I don't expect him to take the lion's share of the screen time, there was certainly potential for the story to have expanded his role here to have included much more in terms of mentoring Young; dealing with Telford after his sojourn to the Destiny; consoling and/or advising Chloe. An interesting sub-plot could have been constructed around Jack and the Earth-side visit that might have offset the tedium of the main plot.

And yes, the main plot is for the most part tedious. Revolving around the need to find a replacement for the carbon scrubbers in the Destiny, the bulk of the action - and I use that word loosely - takes place on the desert planet with lots of walking. The problem is that ultimately even when showing the characters' reactions to walking on a desert planet trying to find a solution to their problem, ultimately all they're doing is walking in a vast desert looking for stuff - and that's just not very interesting.

However, once this part of the plot picked up it did get very interesting. I loved the flashbacks to Scott's past; the back-story to the character was nicely slotted into the moments with the sand storm creature (and a thought-provoking ambiguity of whether it was a creature), and revealed lots of things about him that were semi-confirmed in his talk with Chloe later. I also enjoyed the Rush/Greer tension which plays on the old scientist versus military dynamic of old. I loved the fact that the other team planned a mutiny because they didn't trust Rush. And I loved that the decision to show an equal display of strengths and flaws in these characters is continuing.

There were some good plot moments elsewhere: TJ drugging Telford to ensure Young's body was given respect was fantastic - the character's best moment to date (I am hoping the female characters do get more to do in terms of saving the day going forward). The end climax of the race to the 'gate was fabulous from Greer acting on the SGC's ultimate code to never to leave a man behind, Scott's success with the getting the lime, Rush being proven right on so many things (despite his dislikability) including having Eli stick his hand in the puddle; just great. Dramatic, tense and stunning. It is underscored by some fantastic music that deserves high praise for enhancing that sequence completely. The contemporary music at the end seemed fitting if not my personal taste. The end shot of some kind of ship disengaging from the Destiny was very intriguing.

The other highlight in this episode for me was the beautiful cinematography in the desert sequences. It really gave the other world effect that was needed and gave the episode a production polish worthy of a movie. The light on the planet was a great contrast to the continued dark of the Destiny and even the Homeworld Security interior.

As the third episode in a new series, I'm left a little torn. I love the idea of a character driven Stargate series yet I think this episode slips too much into focusing on the characters and their personal issues to the detriment of the plot. Indeed, one could ask what plot? This episode needed a strong sub-plot and that was missing. The production continues to be of a high quality including the performances, and I continue to be intrigued, but the series needs to find a better balance between character and plot going forward if it's going to maintain pace and attention. Overall though, not a bad wrap-up to the beginning, and I'm looking forward to next week.
        Last edited by Rachel500; 07 June 2010, 11:49 AM.
        sigpic
        Women of the Gate LJ Community.
        My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Episode Review - Air, Part 3

The third installment of the pilot for the new SyFy series Stargate: Universe left viewers at ease that the crew would be able to breathe easily but failed to deliver a compelling story while doing so. The episode "Air, Part 3" picked up right where part 2 left off, with the team embarking on their first mission through the stargate on board the Ancient ship Destiny.

With the first two installments providing viewers with picturesque landscapes and stunning visual effects, "Air, Part 3" was set mostly on a desert planet with views of nothing but white sand for the majority of the episode. This would have been fine had the shows acting and writing been able to carry the load. The series premier of a television show is supposed to introduce you to the cast and characters without having to instantly develop them because viewers are meeting them for the first time. The next episode is a perfect opportunity to really start to develop the characters for the viewers and in this they fell woefully short.

One of the most intriguing characters from the pilot was Sgt. Greer, who was introduced as a troubled soldier with possible emotional or mental issues. On the surface this sounds interesting, but walking the line between crazy and ridiculous can get difficult at times, which it did in this episode. Viewers already got the sense that Sgt. Greer and Dr. Nicholas Rush don't get along in the series premier, but when they are paired in "Air, Part 3" while walking back to the Stargate alone the tension between the two was more middle school than it was good writing. Dr. Rush gives his canteen to Lt. Scott and Sgt. Greer refuses to share any of his water with Dr. Rush in what seems like blistering heat where the body would get dehydrated quickly. Sgt. Greer may have been portrayed as crazy, but it's hard to believe an officer in the military is crazy enough to believe a guy as smart as Dr. Rush isn't needed enough to share his water with considering their dire situation on board the Destiny and their distance from Earth. To make matters worse, Dr. Rush, who seems very level headed up to this point, threw a temper tantrum in the middle of a desert because of the way he was being treated. It ended with the two wrestling and rolling down the bank of a sand dune like two seventh grade kids on a playground who insulted each others mothers.

The episode switched between the mission to the alien desert planet to the swapped bodies on board the Destiny and Earth. Although it was a welcome sight to see General O'Neill (two L's) the interaction between Chloe and her mother was probably the least compelling scene in the show. Not only was the breakdown of her mother to her knees when she learned of her husbands death cliché (which O'Neill hates) but the acting of it was some of the worst on any Stargate show.

The other main story line dealing with body swappers was that of Col. Telford and Col. Young. In a gross showing of disrespect, Col. Telford abuses Col. Young's body before TJ, who seemed to be the only level headed character throughout this episode, rightfully put an end to what seemed like nonsense on the part of Col. Telford. Although we haven't seen a lot of Col. Telford, it appears painfully obvious that he is even more arrogant and his intentions are even more misplaced than those of Dr. Rush.

Another aspect that was advertised heavily before the show premiered was that of actual alien looking aliens with a focus on the non-human variety. However, on their first trip to an alien planet the only alien the audience was subjected to was a swirling wind. The alien did, however, resemble an ascended ancient more than some alien whirlwind possibly capable of reading the mind of a human being.

From the uninspiring and boring landscape of the desert, to the cliché moments between Chloe and her mother, to the juvenile actions of the military personnel, the third installment of “Air” failed to deliver any moments of compelling television. As it turns out, the only breathe of fresh “Air” needed in this episode was that of the scrolling credits.

Comment

The White Zone

Air 3 holds some promise for adventure as the Destiny team emerges from the planetary stargate.

It's a desert planet. Very cool. Well, hot. It's a desert, but cool in the aesthetic sense. Everything is bright, white, and open. The scene is in stark contrast to the murky ship. Obviously alien. No sand on Earth could be that white. Dead stillness. No wind. Weird looking sky. Yet it looks real.

Have to admit, I was hoping for a little more strangeness this far out. One would expect, at the far reaches of the universe, that the laws of physics as we know them would to cease to apply, there would be odd encounters with exotic matter, you know, rainbows, twinkling lights, that sort of thing. This planet may as well be in our own mundane galaxy, the Milky Way. Of course it's not totally mundane, considering its unique distinction of being named after a candy bar. But if you've ever had one, it only makes sense. Milky Way candy bars are delicious.

Did I mention that there is a lot of sand? ...Right.

At least Eli manages to get a quip off here and there.

The geologist, Palmer, explains how she is testing for the mineral they need. While I was happy to hear some tech-speak I'm not sure all the chemical descriptions were quite right. Like Shakespeare, to a geek like me, it doesn't sound right when it's just rattled off, as opposed to masterfully executed. Amanda Tapping was a natural at it. Then again she was knowledgeable enough to polish her own tech scripts. Something lacks polish here.

Using a copious amount of water in a large Erlenmeyer flask, Palmer tests the sand near the gate. No color change. Nope, No dice. They are going to have to go farther afield.

Here is where the writers make the characters seem dumb. There's water on Destiny. Air takes priority over water. Yet each character has this one tiny little water bottle and they end up using what looks like half a bottle just to make one test. The director should have noticed that something was wrong. Confusion in the script.

The team calls Destiny to tell them they are going to, basically, trudge mile after mile across the sweltering parched desert to try to find a better spot. Apparently, nobody thinks to request more water. The survival of the team is crucial. Each one should be carrying at least a couple of gallons worth.

I'm guessing that the writers needed a reason for Scott to collapse later on. So it appears that they made a quick fix by screwing around with the plot infrastructure instead of finding a better way, one that didn't subtract from the quality of the episode. Instead we see the characters deliberately waste a lot of water from a visibly small supply while paradoxically being portrayed as being in danger of dying of thirst.

The actors were forced to run with the fallacious water shortage ball and they put in a heroic performance. But the fig leaf of good acting can only cover up so much of a mistake that should have been easily fixed at a more fundamental level.

As he travels, Scott has some creepy encounters with a ghost priest from his past and swirling dust motes. Most sci-fi savvy fans probably figured out that the alien dust motes are causing him to have hallucinations as they try to communicate telepathically.

Then we get to the church scene. And all I could say was... Oh no. Here we go.

And things were going so well.

Whereas I found the long drawn out scene in Part 1 with Chloe crying and blubbering tedious, I find the seemingly endless scene of Scott getting equal cry time painfully disturbing. I suppose a lot of women might get off on it or find it “moving”. For me, it was "moving" like getting your teeth drilled. In fact I would rather have my teeth drilled than watch that. At least there's Novocain.

Now with the scene in Part 1, Rush and the photograph, I was able to feel some empathy, then move on with my sensibilities intact. That's because it wasn't overblown.

The special effect of the priest dissolving into animated dust was well done. Also an effective way to remove any doubt from all but the most obtuse viewer as to what was going on. The alien dust motes save the day. They show Scott where the mineral is.

When Greer finds Scott, the "last few drops of water" gesture is excessively melodramatic. Why couldn't Scott just be tired and resting a bit? Greer arrives. "A little help here. Thanks buddy" Greer takes the load for a while while Scott gets his second wind.

Then there would be no continuity issue with how Scott, a man, who moments ago, was supposedly nearly dead of dehydration, who had a few drops of water splashed on his lips, could now be running at full tilt alongside Greer as they drag the heavy bag full of minerals back to the gate.

Palmer and Curtis go AWOL through the stargate hoping to find planet Utopia. I hoped that even though it was late in the episode we might see the start of a nice "B"story adventure here. But no, the story just drops them. Totally open ended. Very unsatisfying.

Right at the end it seemed awfully cavalier to eject the shuttle just to dispose of the Senator's body, especially perverse with all the upbeat music. After rewinding back to look again, it seemed too small. An escape pod? Now I'm guessing that it must be some kind of alien craft. I'm loathe to criticize Joel Goldsmith but it would have been helpful if the music had taken on a mysterious or ominous note to clue the viewer in on this last-second cliffhanger twist.

Other than that, everything was perfect.
            Last edited by apostrophe; 09 June 2010, 02:34 PM. Reason: standardize title format
            "Thank God it hit the Reading Library, or somebody might have been seriously hurt!"

Comment

Air, Part 3

The final part of the Air episode finally has our heroes on the planet looking for a way to save their ship from impending doom, but this isn't no ordinary planet; it's a sand planet where the source of their salvation may exist. While that may have an interesting premise and some interesting moments; what we end up with is ultimately a boring episode.

The sand planet we're on looks cool at first glance (reminds you of Abydos somewhat) and it supports the feeling of venturing out into the unknown that the creators of the show have for us but at further glance you realize that this planet is ultimately generic and only serves as some sort of setting for our characters to roam around and express themselves for the majority of the episode. While it is tied down by the need to find the stuff needed to survive, the need to survive isn't felt much throughout the episode and alot of the episode involves these long moments (mostly involving long scenes of shots panning out into the desert. where the characters search for the stuff needed to survive while giving brief dramatic moments between one another.

Those moments do grow the characters somewhat but a lot of these moments are boring and lack ideas of where to go next; there is a bit of a conflict going on but the fact is it's dragged down by the generic "desert environment, lacking the resources need, heat makes people crazy" and it doesn't do much to make it different except mix a bit of the "Destiny" mystery into the mix but even that is lacking. The actors in these scenes do try to bring out their dramatic side but it ends up like most of the acting on the show, seemingly forced and lacking impact. The only bright spots is Eli/Hurley who does a bit to seem a bit more lively then we've seen before, the Jack-like character for acting well even though it added nothing to his character and the actor playing Desmond, who I'm now convinced is the best actor in the show.

That's not to say that the planet stuff is a waste; it does signify what the creators wanted to do with the Universe (related to the stuff on the desert) at hand and it does lead to some good character moments and even some life & death situations but the fact that it's drawn out for most of the episode hurts this. It also hurts what they wanted to do with one of the characters they wanted to explore more; the Jack one... It's nice when we learn more about our characters but it's a waste when they're forced to go through one of the most cliched situations possible; it's also a waste when what we've learned doesn't really add much to an already shallow character.

Aside from the planet, there is a bunch of stuff happening on and off the ship as well; though it isn't as much as the previous episode before it, which is understandable; there isn't much happening in terms of general action but most of it does revolve around what's on the planet and/or support the situation that they're in. Of course, it focuses more on whether or not they're able to make it back rather then the life & death situation on the ship involving the death of the 80-plus or so members of the crew; it's kind of irritating to see this happen since I feel like both issues deserve attention rather then focusing on one, I mean they act as if there isn't a problem on the ship, which is a bit unsettling. At least they remembered their living problems at the end of the episode.

Chloe (the girl I praised for her performance in the previous episode) does get a sideplot of her own involving her and her mother and while it's supposed to be emotional and dramatic; they end up overdoing it and it turns out to be more melodramatic and over-the-top then it's supposed to be, even ending with something that pops out of literal thin air and seems almost ridiculous considering the stuff we already know. I know that the show wants to be different from prior Stargate series but the best drama is natural and comes when the actors around them are 100% behind their roles and are backed up by a well-written script. When it isn't backed up by a well-written script, the entire thing feels jagged; sure, the actors are trying the best they can with the material they're given but it doesn't mask the flaws in the source material.

And with this, Stargate Universe is off to a start but not as good of start as everyone expected. Our first taste of the show through all three parts is disappointing and if this is representative of what people would be tuning into week after week then it worries me just a little bit. The main worries are about the drama which is bland and unfocused and the characters of which none of them are memorable, except for Dr. Rush but mainly because he reminds me of Desmond. If this show was to make it then it would have to improve it's drama, work on the stories a bit so they're more coherent, improve the characters so that there's something attractive to them and try to figure out a formula where they could fit the drama, fit the adventures, fit the mystery and fit what they're trying to go for in the series. I mean there are a lot of quality shows out there and there's no doubt in my mind SG:U can't be one of them; if they'd at least tried.

4.0/10
              Last edited by ZRFTS; 05 April 2012, 02:57 PM.
              Back from the grave.

Comment

Working...
              X