Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb 'Air, Part 2' (102) General Discussion

Visit the Episode GuideUNIVERSE SEASON ONE
    AIR, PART 2
    EPISODE NUMBER - 102

Stranded on the Ancient vessel Destiny, the evacuees from Icarus Base discover that a worn-out life-support system and hull breaches will suffocate them in a matter of hours.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    SPOILERS! PHOTOS! AND MORE!
    Last edited by Darren; January 22nd, 2010 at 09:08 AM.

Uncertain SGU- AIR part 1-2 rapid reaction

While I very much enjoyed the episode I felt it lacked some things that are important to a pilot. First it really didn't wow me at all, nothing about it made me think this would attract new people to the franchise. Second I really don't like how they used tech with a back story, the ancient com devices and earth having interstellar ships, without at least some background on the tech.

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: 'Air, Part 2' (102) General Discussion

I loved the episode. The new film style make the show look more grown up. The characters have surprised me but i do think eli is is over acting just a tad but he can improve. I cant wait for next week

I've avoided spoilers and speculation threads, so I could go into the series untainted by others perceptions and pre-conceived notions. Over all I enjoyed it, no complaints here. Looking forward to learning more about the ship and how the people react on it. I will say that it felt very different than SG-1 and Atlantis but not in a bad way, at least to me. I won't like it, if they go the way of voyager and have episodes of we have a way home but we'll have to kill, maim, lose morals, whatever.

Rush intrigues me but I could see his whole, I know best attitude wearing thin on me after a while. I thought Eli was pretty good, will have to see how his character develops over the next few episodes.

Major General

Default Re: SGU- AIR part 1-2 rapid reaction

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_5124 View Post
    While I very much enjoyed the episode I felt it lacked some things that are important to a pilot. First it really didn't wow me at all, nothing about it made me think this would attract new people to the franchise. Second I really don't like how they used tech with a back story, the ancient com devices and earth having interstellar ships, without at least some background on the tech.
    I will give you that on the comm device. How the heck did they make 2 of them let alone one?

But i kinda loved the way they had those tapes the newbies watched to get informed.

One nit that someone pointed out in the live air thread...when the ancients were on EArth, our PoO was IO not the /\ symbol. that symbol belonged to the second gate unearthed in giza, not earth's first gate, the antarctic gate
    Great catch. It was a little off, them using the more modern symbol.

[quote]But Rush is just nuts...he may have good intentions, but he's just odd../quote]

He seems to me to be how daniel was in season 1. Optimistic and too much into the learning things over anything else. heck i think he is a little obsessed with learning.

[quote]and again how did the attack cause the planet to explode? if the weapons fire was enough to set off the core how did it not go off when they dug the hole to put the base in/quote]

IIRC the gate was some how linked into the core, to gather the power needed. Since they had already taxed it, when the weapons fire came in it was making it more unstable.

[quote]The BAD Characters:

Eli - Sorry, but he is nothing more than a fat Wesley Crusher who will irritate and turn off fans just like Wesley did. Luckily for Star Trek fans, Wesley got the ole heave-ho in time to save the show./quote]

Agreed on him, but i do feel he might mellow out some.

The Others? Didn't see much. The Asian gal was a witch, some of the others, well, they really weren't defined at all.
    Is it me, or since she is IOA, was that the same asian chick who tried unsuccessfully to get Sam reassigned and take over atlantis? Or was that Woosley.

Her father DIED. He effectively KILLED HIMSELF. I'm sorry she wasn't stoic enough for you when faced with her father's excruciating death mere meters from where she stood.

She was collapsing with grief. I doubt she took the time to check who was catching her.

And gulping down wine is considered flirtation now? Really?
    Agreed, her reaction to her father dying was in no way over the top or out of line. Heck i loved her turning her grief into anger and smacking Rush..

As to the wine. I have seen many instances in my US Navy career where someone chugged something to avoid speaking out of line when getting embarrassed by someones speech.

The ancient communication stones - they cant figure out how to turn off the stones when there in the communication device, but they can use them with some sort of earth-base stone communicator? Seriously?
    Agreed. Since we have twice now, destroyed the ones we came accross, how in the heck did we manage to reverse engineer 2 of them.

[quote]The ship was launched from Earth, 'several hundred thousand years ago'. We know that Atlantis left for Pegasus several million years ago,/quote]

IMO that was just a faux pas on their part, which i hope will be corrected in a few eps.

General

Default Re: SGU- AIR part 1-2 rapid reaction

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I will give you that on the comm device. How the heck did they make 2 of them let alone one?

Agreed. Since we have twice now, destroyed the ones we came accross, how in the heck did we manage to reverse engineer 2 of them.
    Crusade.

That episode showed that we were beginning to understand how these things work. With additional info provided by Janus's lab, it's very possible that we may have reverse engineered something like this.

It's probably not as good as the real deal; wait and see.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

First a reminder....next week when part 3 airs, please do NOT discuss it here. This is ONLY for discussion up to the point where the team goes through the gate to the first planet.

Now,

over all, i liked it. Good lines, good pacing, plenty of mysteries to tantalize

future pitfalls that i see:

overplaying the Eli 'young kid outshines everyone with his brilliance'
    overplaying rush's obsession. It IS a vital part of the show, but it'll have to be played back and forth to keep him 'on the fence' so to speak

How long will it be until someone gets left behind and they manage to steal a ship to get them a workable shuttle?

One nit that someone pointed out in the live air thread...when the ancients were on EArth, our PoO was IO not the /\ symbol. that symbol belonged to the second gate unearthed in giza, not earth's first gate, the antarctic gate

The senator's death was predictible, but by and large, it was good.

I LOL'd at Daniel's training videos and did enjoy that hte Lucian Alliance popped up. Better than those danged Ori or Replicators

Second Lieutenant XxX_Kavan Smith_is_Mine_XxX's Avatar

Omg those floating cameras were soo awesome..I want one

But Rush is just nuts...he may have good intentions, but he's just odd..

The whole episode was better than I expected
    WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
    Germany Chiefed Poland.
    England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
    England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
    France got Chiefed.
    Japan decided to scout America.
    America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
    America cut Japan to 90 pop.
    Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
    USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
    Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
    Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
    USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
    Hitler deleted his account...
    USSR, change their name to Russia...

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

destiny is in rough shape and the crew must repair it while being in a complete unknown situation .....epic start

you know rush has screats and i can't to see why he was so determined to dial the 9th chevron

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post

you know rush has screats and i can't to see why he was so determined to dial the 9th chevron
    I think it was just human curiousity. The passion for that women was transferred into his work. Its a classic psychological response
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I think it was just human curiousity. The passion for that women was transferred into his work. Its a classic psychological response
    what women??/ me confused

Second Lieutenant QuantumDragon's Avatar

great ep. but they overdid the col./rush conflict. also if the air was on for "thousands of years" with the hole is the shuttle, why did the situation suddenly become critical when they arived? the air should have been either long gone or they should have had more time. and again how did the attack cause the planet to explode? if the weapons fire was enough to set off the core how did it not go off when they dug the hole to put the base in?

yes i know i'm over analizing it but isn't that what this whole forum site is for?
    And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

the air issue became critical when you had 80+ people breathing it, consuming it faster than the scrubbers could handle (and yes, i can't disagree that it shouldhave ran out long ago)
    then again, who knows when the damage happened. it's possible that the damaged shuttles, etc, just happened last week when the ship jumped into a meteor shower or something

Lieutenant Colonel Pandora's_Box's Avatar

I liked the second half. It was well-paced, suspenseful. The first half was just meh and I suspect a large part of that was the fact that they jumped around through the order of events so much.

Just when something would get exciting, they'd go back or skip to a commercial It just cut all the tension that had been building up out of the scene. Not to mention that we've already seen who's made it through the gate so there's absolutely no suspense as to whether or not someone didn't make it in the flashbacks.

Like the collapse at Icarus Base when the Senator was left behind. We knew he got through the gate therefore somehow all those people were saved.

Actors are good so far. Believable. No one's really bad yet and I'm pleasantly surprised by Elyse Levesque (Chloe). No one else really got anything too meaty, but so far I'm loving the complexity Carlyle imbues into his character in a single look or vocal inflection.

Not bad. I'm sorry I can't say I loved it, but it's certainly enough to keep me watching.

One more quibble however...

Writers, I appreciate that so far all the really important people to the plot are men, but would it kill you to maybe give the ladies a little more to do? I mean besides make Wray seem like an ineffectual harpy?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
    I liked the second half. It was well-paced, suspenseful. The first half was just meh and I suspect a large part of that was the fact that they jumped around through the order of events so much.

Just when something would get exciting, they'd go back or skip to a commercial It just cut all the tension that had been building up out of the scene. Not to mention that we've already seen who's made it through the gate so there's absolutely no suspense as to whether or not someone didn't make it in the flashbacks.
    There were a few places where the transition was a little quick. The one that stood out the most to me was when Greer had the gun on Rush. It's because Stargate has never added fade-outs before commercial breaks.

On the Destiny, preparing to propose to TJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora's_Box View Post

Like the collapse at Icarus Base when the Senator was left behind. We knew he got through the gate therefore somehow all those people were saved.

Actors are good so far. Believable. No one's really bad yet and I'm pleasantly surprised by Elyse Levesque (Chloe). No one else really got anything too meaty, but so far I'm loving the complexity Carlyle imbues into his character in a single look or vocal inflection.

Not bad. I'm sorry I can't say I loved it, but it's certainly enough to keep me watching.

One more quibble however...

Writers, I appreciate that so far all the really important people to the plot are men, but would it kill you to maybe give the ladies a little more to do? I mean besides make Wray seem like an ineffectual harpy?
    Yeah I agree. Though I will buy it on itunes and watch it again. I mean, without commercials, even with the flashbaks, I think it will keep so much more intensity. Overall loved it, Greer was pretty cool, though I liked Scott. Tamara=boaring, sorry to say. Rush intrigues me. I am interested to see where they will go with him. Oh and I liked the little stuff, like where Sgt. Spencer was sneaking food. Overall, great pilot! Sets the stage for the rest of the series. I come away, wanting more. Like the pilot was awesome, but what's to come is what excites me more!!!

Not sure if Rush is a good guy or not, but at least he is interesting. The rest of the cast I couldn't get a grip on. Scott is okay, but the others I really didn't like at all.

The rustbucket ship is a cool idea, but this show has no heart and soul.

I, like some other people, have tried to aviod most spoilers and wanted to surprise myself. I loved the episode, it was better than I could have ever imnagined. The scenes of the Destiny and the FTL travel look amazing, and the situation they're in is realy and understandable. I think I'm going to like this series!

I'll admit, though, Rush kinda scares me. But that may be what they're trying to acomplish. I kinda like him, even though he's downright freaky at times, his character just intruges me.

There's only one part I didn't like. And that was the scene that...wasn't exactly PG. Was that really nesessary?

All in all, though, great epidoe, I'm definetly going to keep watching! I yelled "Noooooo" and almost threw something at the TV when the epidoe ended!

Don't know as I'm shrill and ill-informed

Interesting premise, nice look to the sets and lighting, but I'm not a fan of shakycam and hope it stops.

I didn't like it as much as some other folks but that was because I really couldn't identify with the characters, who seemed to be wallowing in self-pity and selfishness.

The Good Characters:

Dr. Rush - but Carlyle makes everything he does interesting. His acting ability puts some of the others to shame and makes them probably look worse than they are, but I'm intrigued by him.

Scott - not sure if that is his first or last name, with all the bantering with only, "Lt!", or "Sargeant!". It would have helped to add names more often, as when this show ended, I only remembered a few names. This guy was cute, has potential - not quite a Col. Sheppard (potential maybe), but I glazed over a bit when he started comforting crybaby senator's daughter. As my 17 year old son put it. . ."I'd take her out - right to the airlock."

The BAD Characters:

Eli - Sorry, but he is nothing more than a fat Wesley Crusher who will irritate and turn off fans just like Wesley did. Luckily for Star Trek fans, Wesley got the ole heave-ho in time to save the show.

Chloe - I thought SGA's Dr. Keller was the worst whiny-butt crybaby I'd ever seen on TV, but this gal tops her. Some may like her, but she was obviously hired to cry and mope and look all pouty like Summer Glau (who I happen to like).

Col. Everett - Absolutely detestable. Couldn't stand any scene he was in, not one, and I was SO hoping he would die from his injuries. Leaving the inexperienced Scott in charge would have been more fun. I really can't take his negativity and robotic acting for very long. Kill him off, soon!

The Doc/Medic - whatever her name was. What was with that gawd-awful HAIR???

The Others? Didn't see much. The Asian gal was a witch, some of the others, well, they really weren't defined at all.

The Really BAD - it didn't bother me personally, but the sex scene in the beginning was rather jarring for a Stargate show, especially since Stargate has a reputation as a FAMILY show. It could/should have been removed. It wasn't needed and felt out of place.

Poor Lou Diamond Phillips - all that hype, for what? Did he even have any lines????

The communicating/body transferring stones were overused in SG1 and SGA. Please have them get sucked out a broken window!

Overall, it gets a C+, and I'm hoping they can tweak this more and get some of the negativity out. Even BSG characters weren't this nasty to each other. Seeing the old SG1 folks made me realize just how much I missed them, and how fun they were, and how "unfun" this new bunch is.

I'll give it another week or two, but the characters need to lighten up, quit bellyaching, and start working together to survive.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/joesmom1/Kitty.bmp

When all else fails, change channels.

Lieutenant Colonel Pandora's_Box's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
    Chloe - I thought SGA's Dr. Keller was the worst whiny-butt crybaby I'd ever seen on TV, but this gal tops her. Some may like her, but she was obviously hired to cry and mope and look all pouty like Summer Glau (who I happen to like).
    So she shouldn't have been devastated because her father just died by asphyxiation right in front of her eyes after sacrificing himself? Effectively committing suicide by closing the doors just as she ran up to them?

She should have laughed maybe?

Col. Everett - Absolutely detestable. Couldn't stand any scene he was in, not one, and I was SO hoping he would die from his injuries. Leaving the inexperienced Scott in charge would have been more fun. I really can't take his negativity and robotic acting for very long. Kill him off, soon!
    I'd be negative too if some scientist stranded me and 80 other people on some derelict ship in the middle of Nowhere, Universe-ville. I'd also be a little wooden if I had serious head trauma and partial paralysis.

I'll agree with you here. Wray really needed more to do.

I'll give it another week or two, but the characters need to lighten up, quit bellyaching, and start working together to survive.
    I imagine that's probably a little hard to do given their situation.