This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    The climax hasn't occured yet. The story has turned yet to where have a solution. The destruction of Icarus base would be exposition. Pilots tend to have more exposition then normal episodes. Take Rising. It was all exposition until the shield started to fail.
    If that's true then is the Plot "Air" the central element of the drama?
    So perhaps you're right perhaps this is the case of a very week plot ill placed in the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
      If that's true then is the Plot "Air" the central element of the drama?
      So perhaps you're right perhaps this is the case of a very week plot ill placed in the drama.
      The plot is the centerl element of any story. Its like a balance scale. You want more characterization you run the risk of weaking the plot. Too much characterization gives out weak plots and vice versa. But you can have best of both worlds too. You can have strong character moments but you have to make sure to have strong rising/falling action as well. Its a fine line in any genere of story-telling. Finding the proper balance. Being this is only the pilot its understandable SGU hasn't found that balance yet.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

My apologies ma'am.

Colonel would you would say that the destruction of Icarus base was the Rise in Action or the Climax?
        The destruction of Icarus Base was a rise in action. An episode, or any story for that matter, is not limited to one. I can understand, however, how some would categorise its destruction as being the climax with the realisation of air running out being another rise in action. The Senator's death could even be considered a second, more emotional, climax and then everything else following being the path towards a resolution with the final resolution perhaps taking place at the end of the third part of the pilot.

And I'm really uncomfortable with the "ma'am" business. I'm also not a Colonel so that doesn't apply either. I'd appreciate it if you'd simply refer to me by my handle.
        sigpic

Comment

My apologies,
          Although the General outranks you ...Pandora's Box, I believe you're right it is a rise in action, not a Climax or exposition.

So a weak plot would be defined as improper transitions from each element?

Comment

So a weak plot would be defined as improper transitions from each element?
            Yes among other things. A weak plot could be insifficent of each element. For example falling action shouldn't take up to much of a plot as its the discovery of the solution. Too much falling make for a slow and weak plot
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Acknowledge, sir.
              The gate did survive for quite some time, even to be used again in a different episode of SG-1.
              Only due to time dilation. Once the planet was broken apart and sucked into the black hole, it was gone, too. But that example has nothing to do with the strength of a gate's material, just the passing of time relative to a black hole.
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

or the absence of one the elements?

Comment

or the absence of one the elements?
                  That is a possibility but you don't see it to often. When that happens you have a gigantic plot hole.
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    Only due to time dilation. Once the planet was broken apart and sucked into the black hole, it was gone, too. But that example has nothing to do with the strength of a gate's material, just the passing of time relative to a black hole.
                    Yet it survived the destruction of the planet which is not a light affair, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      That is a possibility but you don't see it to often. When that happens you have a gigantic plot hole.
                      Yes, sir.
                      I must find my definition of Plot in error.

The plot is weak rather than absent.
                      The Conflict which caused the Rise in action was poorly introduced and explained.

Comment

Yet it survived the destruction of the planet which is not a light affair, sir.
                        No, it did not. It was only around later because, as the team mentioned, the planet was still in the process of being sucked into the black hole.
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                          No, it did not. It was only around later because, as the team mentioned, the planet was still in the process of being sucked into the black hole.
                          I will look it up,sir.

Comment

ok. NOW. I love Rush & Young. These are the best characters from the pilot. I think it was a strong pilot.
                            sigpic

Comment

Carlye was certainly the best actor.

Comment

How can you not assume that the gate will jump exactly at the time of the explosion since it's attached to the explosion directly,sir.
                                Because in the event it didn't, Earth would be toast; they couldn't be sure how the destruction of the Icarus planet would go.

Better safe than (very, very, very) sorry.

Originally posted by Icarus View Post
                                3) Surely when they are dialling out the ship's gate to the nearby planet for resources, that gate is locked out, seeing as only one gate can take precedent as the point of origin in the solar system?
                                The planet they were going to wasn't in the same solar system as them.

In fact, I don't think Destiny even ended up in a solar system.

Comment

Working...
                                X