• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Air, Part 1' (101) General Discussion

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE UNIVERSE - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 101

When a research team is forced to evacuate their secret base, they find themselves on board a derelict Ancient vessel that is many galaxies away from Earth.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 02 February 2021, 09:17 AM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Let me remind folks, this is for discussion ONLY up to the point where Rush picks up the silver suitcase and goes off on his own.

anything beyond that, goes in the part 2 or three thread
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Won't get confusing like this? Shouldn't part 1 and 2 be together seeing as they're basically linked like one long episode?
      sigpic

Comment

but they won't be in syndie

and if we allow a free for all in one singular thread, when it's syndicated (or, for all we know the brits get it one eps a week and not 2/1 like the us does) it'll render that thread a spoiler mine field for them

to be safe, pretty much ignore this thread and go to the part 2 one that i'll open in about half an hour
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

my honest opinion?
          Spoiler:
          a poor entry into the "stargte "verse" , too much sex and too much of a soap. Unlikeable characters, jerky camera work (Yeah I know it's the "style"- still don't like it!), too many "long shots" of the destiny, someone please shoot rush...PLEASE???
          Last edited by Rac80; 03 October 2009, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
            my honest opinion?
            Spoiler:
            a poor entry into the "stargte "verse" , too much sex and too much of a soap. Unlikeable characters, jerky camera work (Yeah I know it's the "style"- still don't like it!), too many "long shots" of the destiny, sopmeone please shoot rush...PLEASE???
            Spoiler:
            There was maybe a 20 second sex scene. That was all there was. It wasn't extremely graphic either. At least, not as bad as I thought it would be.

Of course, we both have different opinions on what we think is 'too much'.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
            and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Ok, so for the first hour, I kind of felt the flash back and flash forward was done a bit too much. I think it might have been better had they just did the scene where they're all going through the gate as they did, then gone to break and then started over from where we meet Eli and gone straight through.
              sigpic

Comment

Beautiful episode. Pretty much exactly what I was expecting.
                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                  Beautiful episode. Pretty much exactly what I was expecting.
                  Exactly. I go into this show expecting a new Stargate that's different yet the same, and that's what I got. No lofty expectations, and the fact that it was only the first two episodes is key.

My full 'review' and such is in the next episode's thread, but this episode was just as great as the second (They were the same to me).
                  ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

My impressions?

Best iteration of Stargate yet. Everything about it was definitely solid, and I can't wait to see the conclusion of the Air 3 parter.

Most of the non-scifi review sites seem to like it, and a small minority of Atlantis fan hate it (aka the haters). So basically, it's a win win! The show's going to do just fine.

Also, not sure who's still comparing it to BSG after watching the premiere... but if you are, you clearly did not watch the same show I watch.

Last time I checked, Battlestar Galactica did not have that many moments where I laughed.
                    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Five minutes in, I wanted to hunt down and flog the entire camera crew. I loved the SG-1 and I was really looking forward to Universe, but the sloppy, amateurish camera work made Air barely watchable. This is one of the reasons I never got passed the pilot episode of Battlestar Galactica.

The flashbacks were also poorly done and distracting. The way it was done here, it was like jumping back and forth in a book; reading the odd numbered chapters, then backing up to read the previous chapter. It disconnects you from the characters and the action. If you want to do flashbacks, take a lesson from Highlander or Forever Knight. Don't just give us two stories to follow, make the flashbacks a part of the present story and give transitions to let us know a flashback is occurring.

Comment

Originally posted by Orion Antreas View Post
                        Spoiler:
                        There was maybe a 20 second sex scene. That was all there was. It wasn't extremely graphic either. At least, not as bad as I thought it would be.

Of course, we both have different opinions on what we think is 'too much'.
                        Perhaps I am weird. But I have always found Sex in a sci-fi show always interesting. Be it human on human, human on alien or alien on alien.
                        Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
                        End of line.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                          My impressions?

Best iteration of Stargate yet. Everything about it was definitely solid, and I can't wait to see the conclusion of the Air 3 parter.

Most of the non-scifi review sites seem to like it, and a small minority of Atlantis fan hate it (aka the haters). So basically, it's a win win! The show's going to do just fine.

Also, not sure who's still comparing it to BSG after watching the premiere... but if you are, you clearly did not watch the same show I watch.

Last time I checked, Battlestar Galactica did not have that many moments where I laughed.
                          think it can still be compared to bsg it had the same elements of hopelessness being alone without back up, a group of people who don't get along being thrown together. the camera felt a bit like bsg as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
                            think it can still be compared to bsg it had the same elements of hopelessness being alone without back up, a group of people who don't get along being thrown together. the camera felt a bit like bsg as well.
                            Some elements, but it seems much more lighter and more realistic than BSG. Galactica just made everyone a sadistic freak, I still enjoyed it, but damn... Ron Moore doesn't think too highly of people. SGU on the other hand, shows the characters in a more hopeful light, which, from what I've read of history (which I minor in), people can be surprisingly strong when pushed to it.
                            These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
                              Ok, so for the first hour, I kind of felt the flash back and flash forward was done a bit too much. I think it might have been better had they just did the scene where they're all going through the gate as they did, then gone to break and then started over from where we meet Eli and gone straight through.
                              I actually loved the intro to the ship and them getting there from the get go. And the flash backs was great timing imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X