X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
    Speak for yourself, I was not aparticularly fond of SGA
    *activates forcefield*
    aw that's okay SG1 was awesome as well but i'm sort of makign the point that even though SGA had its many WTF moments, the characters were what kept me coming back. SGU has failed to give me interesting stories or characters and really there's little bringing me back but my...hmm... can one be masochistic if they enjoy laughing at serious stuff?

Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
      So... they ditch a salvagable show in order to commence their pet project? That's really the only bitterness i have about SGA's cancellation, if they'd given it HALF as much effort as they're putting into SGU... and all the effort they're putting into SGU is making a show i think takes itself too seriously, and has this forced feel to it, you can't like the show because it's a fun show that's entertaining, you HAVE to become emotionally involved with teh characters whether you like it or not.

Like... why? Why would they take such an extreme decision as to do a full 180 on the show? Was the old dynamic so detestable to them that it just HAD to be forgotten and allowed to die a cold lonely death?

There there SGA... we love you...
      because it's all about wanting accolades...the critics loved BSG so tptb decided to boot sga in favor of a bsg-version of stargate (in my opinion of course! ) and now they are at a loss because turning it into a daytime drama hasn't paid off with either incredible ratings or stellar praise from the critics... so now they get to whine that the fans who dislike it are "bitter - clinging to their SG1 and SGA" (yes a nod to the Great One-- said with a gouald like reverb in my voice...couldn't resist paraphrasing! ) so i will cling to my vids and IF sgu improves (IMHO again) I will give it a second chance. they have what is known as "buyer's remorse".
      Last edited by Rac80; 31 December 2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78
        It's all good, because they are not exactly putting in any extra efforts for SGU either. They have not raised the bar or are doing something to outshine SG-1 let alone SGA.
        Well. I am liking SGU, but if I get really annoyed at the Rush storyline any more, then I'm out of there.
        no means no, and so does pepper spray
        Sig by The Carpenter
        sigpic

Comment

Well. I am liking SGU, but if I get really annoyed at the Rush storyline any more, then I'm out of there.
          I'm liking it also, but it has not been like wow what a show. I liked how the first half ended and it did it's job. Keeping me very interested in the 2nd half.
          sigpic

Comment

To my mind, SGA lost it (no Lost pun intended) in S3 but I was still enamoured at that stage and it wasn't until I went to rewatch that I thought how bored I was with it. I think S4 was actually better than S3. As much as I loathe Carter generally, I thought her character gave it a lift. If I'm going to rewatch anything in SGA, it will be S's 1 and 2 and not much beyond it.

I can't do a comparison of Lost because I had a big loss of suspension of disbelief around episode 10, I think, and I just gave up. I think it was when I found out that after all these things had been happening, they'd only been on the island a couple of weeks. I just went, 'That's silly' and stopped watching. I get what you're saying, though, but I've not had that same reaction to SGU. I know it's slowly unfolding and if someone says, 'We've been on the ship for 5 weeks now,' I'm going to probably agree with that.

Sure, for me, there's been some missteps along the way. Please, no more gratuitous shots of a bra-less James shot from close and below. It's the same writers so some of the same issues that I had with SG-1 and particularly SGA are occuring again but that said, I think the writers have actually stepped up. I wasn't looking forward to SGU at all and I gave it a go because of Carlyle, who is one of the great character actors of our time, and I'm happy to say that I was wrong about (most) everything I had said about it previously.

Originally posted by Briangate78
            It's all good, because they are not exactly putting in any extra efforts for SGU either. They have not raised the bar or are doing something to outshine SG-1 let alone SGA.

Gonna be bold here, but the show is not getting the OMG you must watch it type attitude. This coming from not only the fans but the critics as well.
            You mean, you're not getting that vibe. Speak for yourself. As to the critics, I've read a number of favourable reviews, particularly in regards to Rush.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2
              The word's let alon imply that SGA is a higher level...
              SGA and SG-1 are to me. SG-1 being on top but then a close 2nd would be SGA. They run circles around SGU. BSG also does, which is my third favorite SyFy show, then comes Eureka, then SGU.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post

You mean, you're not getting that vibe. Speak for yourself. As to the critics, I've read a number of favourable reviews, particularly in regards to Rush.
                I do agree that Rush/Carlyle is the stronger part of the show. He truly sells the show.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                  I do agree that Rush/Carlyle is the stronger part of the show. He truly sells the show.

*throws popcorn at Brian*.
                  I disagree, I think he's annoying and I could do without his drama.
                  no means no, and so does pepper spray
                  Sig by The Carpenter
                  sigpic

Comment

It will only be stronger if he goes villain on us me thinks.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

*throws popcorn at Brian*.
                      I disagree, I think he's annoying and I could do without his drama.
                      *Throws Milk duds at Girlbot*

Noooooooooooooo!!! Rush is GOD!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

*Throws Milk duds at Girlbot*

Noooooooooooooo!!! Rush is GOD!!!
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

The attempt at drama is whats mostly killing the show for me. I can do without the unneeded sex scenes, if they want to show them I want to see nudity (I know it isnt possible on cable). I was very turned off by the "I dropped out of FTL in your wife" scene with Young and Telford. I also want to see more action and these guys acting like soldiers, right now they seem like a bunch of Jr High misfits. I also want more Sci-fi, if you edited the scenes dealing with the ship and exploration together you could watch them in 20 minutes. I will continue to watch and support the show solely for the franchise at this point. I hope the producers read these forums and listen to the fans, you could please us all by having one episode follow this new vision of stargate and the next filled with some real sci-fi for us long time (over 10 years) fans.

Comment

<snip>

Interestingly I think that while the back half of season 1 will be faster paced and have more action, those hoping of a return to the sg1 and sga style of things I think will be disappointed. I think as the extreme situations on the Destiny pile up and they become more isolated from earth the characters are going to act in a very different style to the ways previous stargate characters have.
                            Last edited by Skydiver; 02 January 2010, 08:05 AM.

Comment

The topic of this thread is 'what's you opinion of SGU'

Not how many ways other fans annoy me, how many ways other fans annoy me, how many ways i'm better than other fans, and all this other OT junk

You kids refuse to play by the rules, you lose part of the play ground. This thread is taking an indefinite time out. If you wish to discuss specific aspects of an episode or character, we have threads for that.

if you just want to whinge about the show or other fans or how much other fans are stupid for not sharing your opinions, go and find somewhere else.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X