Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you watch-

Star Trek : Titan

Will Riker, his new wife (Troi) , the young upstart crusher now as Asst. chief engineer.

I think it could be doable. They have plenty of solid actors they could easily pull in from some of the other previous treks to grab fans (maybe Lt Cmdr. Harry Kim, Julian Bashir, etc...lol). This is especially true since many of the actors from VOY and DS9 have fairly short (if at all existing) resumes after trek. I'm sure some of them wouldn't mind the paycheck.

If they kept it truly episodic like TNG (and many parts of voyager and earlier DS9) they could do well with the casual audience. Avoiding the very very large arcs of DS9 and Enterprise and some of VOY would save them. Especially if they can get in good with the right network, not UPN.

Its just an idea that's been kicking around in my head a few days. Yes, I know there is a book series about it, but that wouldn't stop them. If there is a way to deliver it for cheap enough they would make something happen.

Nah. If Star Trek is (were) to continue in the Prime timeline, it's time for something new. We successfully fast forwarded 80 years from TOS to TNG, I wouldn't be averse to the same thing happening with a post-TNG/DS9 era series.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Its not often I agree with DigiFluid but I do this time. One of the reasons ENT failed (among others) is that it continued the storyline method that TNG did. Titan sounds like a continued storyline of that method. Its time for something new
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Its not often I agree with DigiFluid
        But we play nice
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          But we play nice
          Thats part of my standards. If a person is not respectful to me you're not worth my time
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Its not often I agree with DigiFluid but I do this time. One of the reasons ENT failed (among others) is that it continued the storyline method that TNG did. Titan sounds like a continued storyline of that method. Its time for something new
            Exactly how did ENT follow anything close to the TNG method? TNG had prettymuch 2-part episodes tops. No over reaching, omnipresent story.

Actually, imho, it failed on 2 main fronts-

1- overreaching story that we had to know about to be kept in the loop, a-la DS9 (dominion war) and Voyager ( delta quadrant in general and borg arcs). You had to watch every dang blasted episode of the temporal cold war to not get completely lost trying to follow many episodes. They make references to previous episodes and such. That works well on a drama style sci-fi like andromeda, farscape or BSG, but not in trek.

2- no actual attachment to any of the successes! DS9 was able to draw in the hardcore audience because TNG led directly into it and ran at the same time for a few years, weaning the audience off picard and onto sisko, then a year later introducing voyager and eventually doing the same thing. THAT is why those series all lasted for 7 years each and enterprise barely made it 5 (didnt TOS only make it 4...hmmm).

The things that the ultra hardcore fans (us forum trolls) like the most aren't always what will keep the show on the air. TNG was essentially the model of how to keep trek alive. Great ratings, huge fan support from the hardcore AND from the casual watcher. After TNG it went downhill. Voyager got more of the casuals disillusioned by DS9's complexity, and the hardcores mostly watched DS9 and only came to voyager at the very end (due to not having DS9 around anymore).

Honestly, if they make another ship named enterprise into a TV show I would be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
              (didnt TOS only make it 4...hmmm).
              3 seasons, 20 years before any other live-action Trek series was even a pipedream; and spawned more films than any other Trek series to date. So I'm not sure it quite fits your argument

TNG had prettymuch 2-part episodes tops. No over reaching, omnipresent story.
              Not true at all, TNG had numerous overreaching stories that spanned the run of the series. It's just that they didn't play a role in every single episode a la BSG.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                3 seasons, 20 years before any other live-action Trek series was even a pipedream; and spawned more films than any other Trek series to date. So I'm not sure it quite fits your argument

Not true at all, TNG had numerous overreaching stories that spanned the run of the series. It's just that they didn't play a role in every single episode a la BSG.
                actually, "star trek phase 2" even had sets constructed for it and a pilot shot before it was nixed. Its 13 episodes were mostly converted into TNG episodes in the first 3 seasons. Heck, they stole some of the characters too and converted them into many of the TNG characters (troi, data, riker).

Ok, so TOS had more movies? This was about TV shows, I fail to see how it applies. The audience for a movie is completely different for a TV show. People can change channels in the middle of a TV show for no additional money spent (killing your ratings), if they walk out of the movie they already paid, and you don't really care.

The only arc that could really be considered overreaching by any aspect was the Klingon civil war arc with Worf. That's what, 3-4 total episodes?

please don't take this as attacking Ds9, since I am a trek geek and did love it, but I greatly understand casual fans like my dad, who watched TNG whenever he was home for it, and would get mad when Ds9 came on because he couldn't follow it. THAT tells me all I need to know about the direction of the franchise. you capture the casual audience and you make $$, allowing you to keep making shows!

Either way, if they made a show, it would have to be more TNG than any other show to actually stay on the air.

Comment

actually, "star trek phase 2" even had sets constructed for it and a pilot shot before it was nixed. Its 13 episodes were mostly converted into TNG episodes in the first 3 seasons. Heck, they stole some of the characters too and converted them into many of the TNG characters (troi, data, riker).
                  Completely, absolutely, 110% correct. I totally forgot about Phase 2

The only arc that could really be considered overreaching by any aspect was the Klingon civil war arc with Worf. That's what, 3-4 total episodes?
                  I would disagree here, and wouldn't narrow it to just a civil war arc. I tend to think of it as the overall Worf story arc, with lots of interesting evolutions along his path; its real beginnings with his whole fish-out-of-water angle in the very beginning, to way back in 'Heart of Glory', continuing with his hatred for Romulans and that backstory, Keylehr (sp), Alexander, discommendation, civil war and on into the series' last year. Perusing Wikipedia's episode list:

1.20 'Heart of Glory' (Klingon culture)
                  2.08 'A Matter of Honor' (fish out of water)
                  2.20 'The Emissary' (Keylehr)
                  3.07 'The Enemy' (background/Romulan legacy)
                  3.17 'Sins of the Father' (background/Klingon politics/Romulan legacy)
                  4.02 'Family' (Romulan legacy/Klingon politics)
                  4.07 'Reunion' (Keylehr/Alexander/Klingon politics)
                  4.24 'The Mind's Eye' (discommendation)
                  4.26-5.01 'Redemption' (Klingon politics/Romulans)
                  5.10 'New Ground' (Alexander)
                  5.16 'Ethics' (Alexander)
                  5.20 'Cost of Living' (Alexander)
                  6.16-17 'Birthright' (Romulan legacy)
                  6.23 'Rightful Heir' (Klingon politics)
                  7.13 'Homeward' (background)
                  7.21 'Firstborn' (Alexander)

I'd also like to point the overreaching Q angle as well, a frequent guest whose one-off adventures were actually nothing of the kind. They were telling the ongoing story of the Q Continuum's ongoing trial of humanity (which I won't list episodes for because I'm tired of looking at that list )

And as an offshoot of that story, it spawned the Borg storyline which spanned 'The Neutral Zone' (not named, explained after the fact), 'Q Who?', 'The Best of Both Worlds' parts 1 and 2, 'Family', 'I, Borg', 'Descent' parts 1 and 2, and the most popular of the TNG films, 'First Contact'.

That's a heck of a lot of episodes for a series without overreaching arcs, wouldn't you say? But before you reply.....

but I greatly understand casual fans like my dad, who watched TNG whenever he was home for it, and would get mad when Ds9 came on because he couldn't follow it. THAT tells me all I need to know about the direction of the franchise. you capture the casual audience and you make $$, allowing you to keep making shows!
                  I think you've really hit the nail square on the head here. Besides other factors (syndication, to name the most obvious), TNG was exceptionally well-written insofar as to keep even its arc episodes bottled. In this way they could continue to tell ongoing stories without leaving the casual viewer behind.

I love DS9 too so as much as it pains me to say it, I'm not sure its style of storytelling is what the Trek franchise needs. Critical acclaim doesn't automatically translate to viewer figures, and that is what's needed to ensure the longevity of any potential Trek series to come.

Comment

aalot of my friends had the same reactions to DS9, I did too at the start, couldn't watch every episode for I was not allowed to watch that much TV.

And we all rather had TNG or Voy, NO DS9.

NOTE here in the Netherlands viewdates are verry different

www.darkarmada.nl
                    www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Will Riker, his new wife (Troi) , the young upstart crusher now as Asst. chief engineer.

I think it could be doable. They have plenty of solid actors they could easily pull in from some of the other previous treks to grab fans (maybe Lt Cmdr. Harry Kim, Julian Bashir, etc...lol). This is especially true since many of the actors from VOY and DS9 have fairly short (if at all existing) resumes after trek. I'm sure some of them wouldn't mind the paycheck.

If they kept it truly episodic like TNG (and many parts of voyager and earlier DS9) they could do well with the casual audience. Avoiding the very very large arcs of DS9 and Enterprise and some of VOY would save them. Especially if they can get in good with the right network, not UPN.

Its just an idea that's been kicking around in my head a few days. Yes, I know there is a book series about it, but that wouldn't stop them. If there is a way to deliver it for cheap enough they would make something happen.
                      I have to say that I like the idea.

I really liked Star Trek 2009, but I am EXTREMELY glad that is an AU story. To that end, I miss the Prime universe. I would like to see something done in it.

I particularly agree that the "present" of the Trek universe is ripe with good story opportunities. If you place it after the destruction of Romulus, you have a universe on the verge of war. The Klingons, according to Section 31, have recovered from the Dominion War by this point, and if you follow the possible future of "All Good Things..." will move in to conquer Romulan space. This on top of the power vacuum and chaos created by the destruction of the Romulan capital. There was a trend toward peace with the Romulans and the Federation too, which would put the Feds in the middle of the conflict. You could keep it episodic, and this would simply be the setting that ship and crew find themselves in.

I like your idea of placing it under the Titan with Riker and Troi. You could try to pull some of the other actors over, but you might have difficulty. A lot of the Voyager actors felt shafted toward the end of the show. Plus, I think you shouldn't have too many of the old guard. Maybe Captain, Councilor, First Officer, and one other. All others should be new fresh faces. I think that one of the things that hurt Nemesis (one of many) was that the cast is starting to get a little long in the tooth. Guest star opportunities would abound though.

Comment

The TITAN creator (the ship) has already made character sketches.
                        These are the current characters...and I would definitely watch the show if the characters were this interesting in ability and personality.

A Trill,
                        Ferrengi,
                        Cardassian
                        even the species of the Federation President in star Trek VI.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The Captain and Wife.

I support this series that goes back to exploration.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I could see it doing fairly well. go back to the classic TNG style of " patroling the nuetral zone" which would be oh so much more important after the war with the dominion and the destruction of the tal shiar

there is one specific characters I can think of that would fit very well into a new series-

Lt. (JG) Nog- young character with many stories left to tell.

they stated in the movie wesley was stationed on the titan, and we know deanna and riker are there.

of course, I would personally love to see the 1st officer as The Doctor, as a Command officer, earning a true starfleet comission. would never happen, but would interest me greatly.
                            Last edited by Captain Obvious; 27 September 2009, 12:01 AM.

Comment

And just to keep Riker on his toes, Q should make visits to him.
                              "You spent 7 years as MacGyver and you can't figure this one out? We got belt buckles and shoe laces and a piece of gum, build a nuclear reactor for crying out loud.."

"...."

Comment

Working...
                              X