Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prop Store of London's Collection of SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis Props and Costumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to have that ancient control chair. It fits perfectly in my room. Holy Hannah! But it's sad that they want to get rid of those stuff.

Comment

I don't know about you, but I can clearly tell that some of those supposedly real props are replicas, and very bad ones at that.

Check this one for example: Naquadah-Enhanced Chest Bomb, Stock # 15733

They're even dumb enough to provide pictures from the episode to compare with.
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I think I'm in SG heaven. If only I could afford any of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Carter1994 View Post
          I think I'm in SG heaven. If only I could afford any of it!
          Yeah, it's all about the money... there's always some cents less than needed

Comment

But if you read the text they say '' We have not been able to locate this specific device on screen'' so its not the exact one they have i.e they are not lieing.

Having been lucky enough to see the stuff in person and thanks to the lads in propstore for showing me around, I can say that everything to me seemed to be genuine. But sure believe what you will about it, im just glad we have the oppertunity to buy some of these items from a good source.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
              I don't know about you, but I can clearly tell that some of those supposedly real props are replicas, and very bad ones at that.

Check this one for example: Naquadah-Enhanced Chest Bomb, Stock # 15733

They're even dumb enough to provide pictures from the episode to compare with.

Read further back in the thread - not all props are screen used props, as a result they will have been designed and made for a script, but if the scenes cut or the script re-written they won't have been used.
              In addition, many props are rough and ready - they are made to a deadline after all, and may well be a re-use of something else to save time and or money, which will make it seem even more thrown together.

Finally - well known and used props can be made in different ways for different scenes. Lets take a staff weapon for example. There could be as many as five variations for one weapon!

1) Close up detail prop. - One that looks impressive when seen close to by the camera.

2) "Working" Prop. - One that has the functioning opening and closing mechanisim.

3) Hero prop. One made of rubber, foam or other robust material for stunts / action sequence scenes. Usually has very little detail comapred to 1.

4) Effects Prop. - (Sometime the same as 2, but not always.) Fitted with reinforced tubing for the flash explosion effect when the weapon discharges.

So if we have a sequence where we get a close up on Teal'c, who then activates his weapon and shoots an enemy Jaffa who then falls inot a deep pool of water (with staff), before turning to trip up another enemy Jaffa before they can club him (Smashing their staff in two as it short circuits) - you have a short shap action sequence requiring ALL those variations!

Same principle works for Zat guns, GDO's Atlantis detectors -etc etc, etc.

All of them will suffer wear and tear over time, even the close up one. As a result, they will be replaced by newer models in a better condition. - Older ones take up space, and can either be dumped and destroyed (as happened with Thunderbirds, and in the end a large amount of Trek's sets) - or it can be sold to collectors who will willingliny give it a good home.
              Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
              Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
                Read further back in the thread - not all props are screen used props, as a result they will have been designed and made for a script, but if the scenes cut or the script re-written they won't have been used.
                The prop they sell was not used in the episode. It's not even a question of level of detail, it's just a gross misshape in the prop itself.
                It should be made clear enough that they're not selling the real one, but at best, some ditched prop.

In addition, many props are rough and ready - they are made to a deadline after all, and may well be a re-use of something else to save time and or money, which will make it seem even more thrown together.
                Yes, this does happen, but if you're collecting cobbled props, then it should be made clear that the prop has been modified when used for later episodes.

Finally - well known and used props can be made in different ways for different scenes. Lets take a staff weapon for example. There could be as many as five variations for one weapon!

1) Close up detail prop. - One that looks impressive when seen close to by the camera.

2) "Working" Prop. - One that has the functioning opening and closing mechanisim.

3) Hero prop. One made of rubber, foam or other robust material for stunts / action sequence scenes. Usually has very little detail comapred to 1.

4) Effects Prop. - (Sometime the same as 2, but not always.) Fitted with reinforced tubing for the flash explosion effect when the weapon discharges.

So if we have a sequence where we get a close up on Teal'c, who then activates his weapon and shoots an enemy Jaffa who then falls inot a deep pool of water (with staff), before turning to trip up another enemy Jaffa before they can club him (Smashing their staff in two as it short circuits) - you have a short shap action sequence requiring ALL those variations!

Same principle works for Zat guns, GDO's Atlantis detectors -etc etc, etc.

All of them will suffer wear and tear over time, even the close up one. As a result, they will be replaced by newer models in a better condition. - Older ones take up space, and can either be dumped and destroyed (as happened with Thunderbirds, and in the end a large amount of Trek's sets) - or it can be sold to collectors who will willingliny give it a good home.
                None of which address the simple fact that the shape is simply wrong. What you speak of is a question of level of detail and structure, plus the final cosmetic touch.
                I perfectly know the difference between different versions of what is supposed to be the same object in universe.

The descriptive sales paper is deceiving to some degree, saying for example that, after pointing out the episode's name, goes saying that "this is a Naquadah-enhanced bomb from the popular science fiction series Stargate SG-1" and that "In the Season 5 episode "The Warrior," K'Tano (Rick Worthy) puts small bars of Naquadah into bombs like this".

The only allusion to the use and origin of the prop is made at the end of the description: "We have not been able to locate this specific device on screen."
                If that's so, then no such character as Imhotep inserted anything into that specific prop.

I wouldn't like to be the excited fan who bought that prop without paying more attention to what the page appears to be selling at first look, believing he got the real one, based on distant memories of the show. That would be like buying a one foot tall statue of Vader, only to notice that they added some wings to his helmet, and that the underside of his cape is painted in pink.
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
                  Sorry, this is quite incorrect. A Hero prop is NOT a stunt prop. A Hero prop is made for close up scenes and usually is made of better material. A stunt prop is usually made of rubber so as to not injure actors.

Check out the terminology on the Propworx website.

Alec

Comment

There are tons of props that may never make it to the screen. I have an arrow from Warriors, and a sling shot...the arrow has a break away rubber tip and the sling shot might actually be workable - never tried.

don't recall really seeing any of them on the screen...but they might have been given to extras or kept handy but were never used. I've never watched Warriors that closely to look for them.

I think i got both of them for $30 dollars or something.

A costume work by one of the main actors may sell for hundreds, a costume worn by an extra can sell for 30 bucks or less.

'Hero Prop' can also refer to something that one of the main actors used. like 'carter's zat holster' 'jack's gloves' or something like that. clothing worn by the main actors, etc. 'hero' usually means that it's something recognizable and not something that you have to scan for and look for and squint to find.

Stuff meant for close ups and for the main actors to use are often prettier and 'better' than those meant for background actors. Why spend hours prettying up something that'll never be more than half an inch on a tv screen back in the background, held by an extra in footage that might be cut?
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      There are tons of props that may never make it to the screen. I have an arrow from Warriors, and a sling shot...the arrow has a break away rubber tip and the sling shot might actually be workable - never tried.

don't recall really seeing any of them on the screen...but they might have been given to extras or kept handy but were never used. I've never watched Warriors that closely to look for them.

I think i got both of them for $30 dollars or something.

A costume work by one of the main actors may sell for hundreds, a costume worn by an extra can sell for 30 bucks or less.

'Hero Prop' can also refer to something that one of the main actors used. like 'carter's zat holster' 'jack's gloves' or something like that. clothing worn by the main actors, etc. 'hero' usually means that it's something recognizable and not something that you have to scan for and look for and squint to find.

Stuff meant for close ups and for the main actors to use are often prettier and 'better' than those meant for background actors. Why spend hours prettying up something that'll never be more than half an inch on a tv screen back in the background, held by an extra in footage that might be cut?
                      Ding! Ding! Ding! Johnny please tell us what she's won!
                      The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

I have 3 costumes at home that i bought for 100 dollars. One of them was worn by the 'betrayer' tokra chick in Tok'ra, i've never been able to ID the others. Extras costumes are rarely labeled what show they're for, they're used, cleaned, tossed in a bin or hung up and that's it.

after 10+ years of a show, you can imagine that they'll have tons and tons of extras costumes, most of which are hand made.

Memorbilia can be very cheap, it just depends on how much a part of the show it was.

Like they had on an episode of Pawn Stars, when a guy thought he had a real whip from Indiana Jones

roughly the expert said : if this was a prop one of the stunt guys brought on set to play with, eh, few bucks to few hundred. If it was used in the movie by a stunt man, several hundred to a couple thousand, if you can prove that Harrison Ford used it in the movie, complete with certificate of authenticity, 30-40,000.

same whip, the pedigree determines its value

same with show props. the more recognizable and memorable, the more sought after it'll be. Background stuff that they changed out every so often or that there were a dozen copies of, very affordable.

Hero costumes are often some of the most sought after items. I've been at con auctions and seen them go for hundreds or thousands. I saw the Crystal Skull sell for 2400 several years ago.

and then i have my two props that were sold at silent auction and i was the only bidder.

sigpic

Comment

I have 3 costumes at home that i bought for 100 dollars. One of them was worn by the 'betrayer' tokra chick in Tok'ra, i've never been able to ID the others. Extras costumes are rarely labeled what show they're for, they're used, cleaned, tossed in a bin or hung up and that's it.

after 10+ years of a show, you can imagine that they'll have tons and tons of extras costumes, most of which are hand made.

Memorbilia can be very cheap, it just depends on how much a part of the show it was.

Like they had on an episode of Pawn Stars, when a guy thought he had a real whip from Indiana Jones

roughly the expert said : if this was a prop one of the stunt guys brought on set to play with, eh, few bucks to few hundred. If it was used in the movie by a stunt man, several hundred to a couple thousand, if you can prove that Harrison Ford used it in the movie, complete with certificate of authenticity, 30-40,000.

same whip, the pedigree determines its value

same with show props. the more recognizable and memorable, the more sought after it'll be. Background stuff that they changed out every so often or that there were a dozen copies of, very affordable.

Hero costumes are often some of the most sought after items. I've been at con auctions and seen them go for hundreds or thousands. I saw the Crystal Skull sell for 2400 several years ago.

and then i have my two props that were sold at silent auction and i was the only bidder.
                          Have you thought about starting a thread w/pix asking for help to identify them?
                          The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

thought about it, i just need to scan the photo in

sigpic

Comment

Quite correct. It all depends on the production. With Battlestar Galactica, "Hero" simply denoted screen-used. The "Hero" prop was the one in the actor's hand. So in fact you could have had a rubber stunt gun be a "Hero" if Apollo handled it. A bit confusing.

Typically "Hero" means a better quality version, used for close ups. But it is critical that an item be described accurately. Most prop companies and auction houses don't spend the time to accurately authenticate items, and you are just supposed to take their word for it. That is why collecting Screen Used props & costumes is the most fraud-ridden hobby I have ever been a part of.

Alec

Comment

Anyone recognize this specific UGDO panel?

Comment

Working...
                                X