NCIS Los Angeles Discussion/Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCIS Los Angeles Discussion/Spoilers

Creating this thread cos I don't like messy threads with multiple topics. Plus, I know some NCIS fans won't care about LA and won't want to have to wade through posts about it. And folks like me who enjoy both (so far) but prefer having a separate space for dedicated discussion.

SO! The NCIS spinoff, NCISLA premiered last night (Tues 9/22) and it was... okay. I was underwhelmed by the story and think the clandestine nature of the operation is a little over-the-top but I'm kinda curious about the characters. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Linda Hunt. SO MUCH LOVE. Even if her character so far is pretty much just a live-action Edna Mode (from Incredibles).

I'm liking the probie, too.
    Spoiler:
    The random spouting of trivia could get old if they overplay it, but it was fun to see him go off on his little historical jaunt. It's part Ducky, part Nigel-Murray from Bones. Hope he develops nicely as the show progresses.

Liking the Nerd Herd, too. And against my better judgment I find I'm kinda intrigued by Callen and what HIS story is all about. I'll keep watching for now. There's good chemistry so far and sometimes that makes up for weakness in storytelling.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
    Creating this thread cos I don't like messy threads with multiple topics. Plus, I know some NCIS fans won't care about LA and won't want to have to wade through posts about it. And folks like me who enjoy both (so far) but prefer having a separate space for dedicated discussion.

SO! The NCIS spinoff, NCISLA premiered last night (Tues 9/22) and it was... okay. I was underwhelmed by the story and think the clandestine nature of the operation is a little over-the-top but I'm kinda curious about the characters. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Linda Hunt. SO MUCH LOVE. Even if her character so far is pretty much just a live-action Edna Mode (from Incredibles).

I'm liking the probie, too.
    Spoiler:
    The random spouting of trivia could get old if they overplay it, but it was fun to see him go off on his little historical jaunt. It's part Ducky, part Nigel-Murray from Bones. Hope he develops nicely as the show progresses.

Liking the Nerd Herd, too. And against my better judgment I find I'm kinda intrigued by Callen and what HIS story is all about. I'll keep watching for now. There's good chemistry so far and sometimes that makes up for weakness in storytelling.
    I agree,
    Spoiler:
    I like how they introduced the newbie. And how he asked if it was his last name or first name.

I like the tall guy, Nate - the shrink, he was good in the Spin-off episode, he is getting into peoples heads. He seems not to be a people person, outside the team who knows him. I like the section about the gun!

don't know about spoilers, but just in case!
    Richard Dean Anderson is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!!
    sigpic
    Hawaii-Five-O-Heat-Wave-Thunk-thread-of-hotness

Comment

This is going to be an interesting first season. Kinda has a CSI: Miami feel to it that I like.
      Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
      Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by OneillTwo"LL"s View Post
        don't know about spoilers, but just in case!
        I figure better safe than sorry. Give folks a few days to catch up on Tivo or whatever. That's how it is in the Original Flavor thread, right?

Comment

i'm watching it now and...eh.

Spoiler:
          not horrible, but not NCIS either. not yet

I cna deal with there not being a clear leader. I like the psychologist dude, and the little tech nerd.

i love linda hunt but sometimes thought that her character was a bit OTT. like they're making her too quirky or forcing the quirkyness

I'm not writing it off yet, but it still has some work to do before it's up to the level of its parent show.

It's almost like....ncis just worked. and it took years to get it there. years to work on interpersonal relationships, etc. and LA is trying to get it all down in the space of a few episodes. it's like they're working too hard to make it happen instead of just letting it happen
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I agree with a lot of what was said. But am I the only one who...
            Spoiler:
            ...expected Linda Hunt to look at Callen when she's picking out his clothes and say, "NO CAPES!"
            Which, seeing as how Chris O'Donnell played Robin twice, would make it all the more funny.

Also, Hanna asking Callen if was ready to come back... really wanted Callen to say, "Don't call it a comeback."

I wasn't incredibly impressed with the pilot, but I did love the probie's nerdiness. Not too fond of the shrink... we'll see if he gets less palm reader and more useful.

Really glad I gave it a second shot. The pilot seemed more flash, this one is actually letting you "meet" the characters. And I loved Callen's quips.
            Last edited by smurfettedoesnotshare; 29 September 2009, 10:10 PM.

Comment

i've found that these past few years, that the series premiere doesn't live up to the potential of the show... like all the new shows have crappy beginnings, but get better with age... LA is really shaping up to proving this theory correct if the awesomeness of this week's ep v the awesomeness of last week's is anything to go by.... i love the interact that Sam and Callen have... it's like even though Callen's not too sure of himself, he act and let Sam tell him when he's being too much and still be a great balancer for Sam at the same time... and Nate is just win, tho that could be my inner psych major talking
              Spoiler:
              what i liked about ep one was the mystery shrouding Callen's past and how he himself doesn't really know who he is... other than that, it was okay plot and a good introduction of the characters we haven't already met... you can see that there's a comadery within the team but it seems a bit strained, which since it's a new show, that's okay, but i find that Callen's medical leave works as a good cover for continuity's sake....

ep two was a lot better both plot and character relation wise... the characters are more comfortable with each other like they're finally getting back into the groove of things... the probie, while in ep offered a lot of himself up front to try to make a good impression, is far more guarded now, which really shows his insecurities as the new guy, which i totally love... he's the new guy and there is going to be hazing... a shadow of early Tony/Tim interactions 'cept this guys not as blubbering, and the teasing is spread thru the entire team instead of just one "partner"... i absolutely loved mackensie's "new girl" speach! and when she tried to pee in the back of the car but the new guy was waay to shy... that was just adorable! but the coup de grace was Callen's SEAL/seminary comparison.... my mind jumped from LA to MP to SPN in span of 2 seconds.... i seriously had this image of Castiel from SPN yanking the little ribbon things out of bibles and hurling like grenades into hordes of deamons to smite them
              i'm honestly looking forward to next week's ep.... LA is shaping up to have a lot of potential
              I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
              sigpic

Comment

I was very disappointed in the premiere, for two main reasons; they changed the really cool secret headquarters that I loved in "Legend," first of all, and the new one just looks so unrealistic... that, and they replaced the Director woman who had this interesting backstory with Gibbs. I really liked her, and much as I love Linda Hunt... she just does nothing for me as the very unlikely head of a Federal agency.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I have to say that while I hope Shane *something* doesn't write any more of the episodes ( the premiere was way to predicable) I was okay with both the premiere and the second episode. I had likened Linda Hunt's character to the gadget guy in the Bond movies but now that the Edna Mode character has been brought up I have to say that is so much more accurate I have really enjoyed all of her moments with all of the characters.

I have also really enjoyed the fact that NCIS-LA is not trying to be a carbon copy of NCIS and is instead trying to be its own show with just some very basic tie ins to the original. I like that it seems to have its own feel and its own pace.

The ensemble feel is coming along but I am glad that the pairing of O'Donnell and LL Cool J already seems natural and makes me laugh

I look forward to seeing this show grow and mature
                  Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Watched 5 minutes of this and switched off, rubbish isn't the word

Comment

I have been enjoying the show. Seeing a lot of potential for greatness.
                      sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

According to Futon Critic NCISLA got a full season order, so yay for those who care.

I think I'm mostly watching for Linda Hunt. I'm easily amused. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          According to Futon Critic NCISLA got a full season order, so yay for those who care.

I think I'm mostly watching for Linda Hunt. I'm easily amused. LOL!
                          Hooray!!!

I've been watching for Linda Hunt, as well. She does seem to be getting less "out there" kooky-wise, but she's still REALLY entertaining.

I love that this isn't a carbon copy of NCIS (which seems to be turning some people off), but is still good in it's own rite. I think it's good that a network that has all 3 CSI's, Criminal Minds, the Mentalist, etc., etc., etc. is doing a cop show that isn't the original set in a different city.

Tuesday's ep. 1x03
                          Spoiler:
                          The whole Hetty Nepal thing was hilarious. You know she didn't tell Hanna, but went a long with him to get back at Callen for asking about it.

My laugh came when Callen and Hanna came back from trying to apprehend the Semi driver, and explaining the blood.
                          Hanna: "Shot"
                          Callen: "Blew up."
                          Eric: "Boy, you guys are thorough."

Comment

Spoiler:
                            Hetty and Sinatra ftw! and i wanna know the Nepal story! i really love the character interaction b/t Callen and Sam... it's like the current DiNozzo/McGee realtionship but it's also the center of the show.... and Eric's little angsty speach near the end when he was convincing the flyboy to ride the joystick!

what i really like about the series overall is all the little jokes they put into b/t the action... it's distracting without actually detracting from the overall story
                            I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
                            sigpic

Comment

So far I am still interested in everything about this show it is different enough from the original that I like all the newness and yet there is just enough mention periodically of the NCIS on a whole that I know the foundation of things.

The cast seems to be gelling well and for me its in an enjoyable manner so I am happy
                              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                              X