Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the world function with super powers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could the world function with super powers?

The thought has crossed my mind a few times when watching this show, and I know we've seen some moments where the government is forced to take action against otherwise extremely dangerous ( power wise anyways ) individuals.

Do you guys think that the world could deal with people with abilities? Would our way of life be changed dramatically?

In some cases, the abilities of these people could benefit us, like the healing powers. But I think more often then not, the powers they have would lead to disaster and destruction.

When you have people that can make black holes, melt metal, change time, explode themselves into a nuclear bomb... we're just asking for trouble.

I personally don't think these people should be allowed to have these powers and run free. If we had the ability to take them away, we should. If we're not able to take them away, then we should lock them up.

I know this makes me should a little harsh, but it's reality. People, just in general are greedy, destructive, and would do anything to get the upper edge on someone. Governments would most likely collapse from people abusing these powers for their own good.

So what do you guys think? Can the world function when people have "Super Powers?" Where do we draw the line on what we ( The Government ) can take away? Should these people be locked away?

So you would use governmental power to either "sterilize" people or take away their freedom because you view them as a threat to society. Well maybe you can start by busting out the windows of any stores "supers" own, maybe make them wear a little yellow star.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
      So you would use governmental power to either "sterilize" people or take away their freedom because you view them as a threat to society. Well maybe you can start by busting out the windows of any stores "supers" own, maybe make them wear a little yellow star.
      It's not that I view them as a threat, it's that they are a threat.

In reality, you're telling me if someone had the power to vaporize you, or "suck you up into a black hole", if he just got a little mad, you would want them walking around?

If people could be trusted with these powers then sure, everything would be alright, but the point is people can't be trusted.

I'm not sure about you, but with powers like these, I wouldn't give anyone the benefit of doubt. It's just to dangerous.

I'm not a Nazi here trying to round up people and can kill them because of religious beliefs, I'm talking about the saftey of , well... when it comes to some powers... the whole world.

Like it or not, some things have to be done to secure safety... and if that means some freedoms are lost for those with powers... well... that's how it goes.

I'd like to think an option to have the powers taken away would be present, because that would make the situation more easy to deal with. But if that isn't an option, harsh measures would have to be taken.

Comment

If super powers became a reality, I don't think the future would be a very bright one. Humans are too violent, and prone to destruction. Super powers would only speed up that process, and make it easier. Yes, good people would do good things with their powers. But, bad people would do very bad things.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
          If super powers became a reality, I don't think the future would be a very bright one. Humans are too violent, and prone to destruction. Super powers would only speed up that process, and make it easier. Yes, good people would do good things with their powers. But, bad people would do very bad things.
          I agree. That's why I think so of the T.V. show worlds where people have superpowers just couldn't be.

Think of how bad syler was... and he was only one person. Can you imagine millions of crazy people with powers?

For every good person, there is 5 more bad people.

Comment

I would draw the line where the powers are dangerous and the individual refuses to work with the Government. If it is passive like breathing under water or healing, I'd still like it on record but wouldn't take them away, not destructive enough. When you get to a guy who is a giant Nuke, we can't allow him in public. The only problem is that it seems that the most dangerous powers are the most common. There are just to many evil humans that granted a power would destroy rather then help. In effect we'd have to triple prisons, but then who's the guards? Super powered people who are with us? In effect super powers are a bad thing for humanity.

Edit: By healing, I mean others. I'm not entirely sure if Spontaneous Regeration is to be considered dangerous per say.
            http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/..._DanielSig.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by flameling View Post
              I would draw the line where the powers are dangerous and the individual refuses to work with the Government. If it is passive like breathing under water or healing, I'd still like it on record but wouldn't take them away, not destructive enough. When you get to a guy who is a giant Nuke, we can't allow him in public. The only problem is that it seems that the most dangerous powers are the most common. There are just to many evil humans that granted a power would destroy rather then help. In effect we'd have to triple prisons, but then who's the guards? Super powered people who are with us? In effect super powers are a bad thing for humanity.

Edit: By healing, I mean others. I'm not entirely sure if Spontaneous Regeration is to be considered dangerous per say.
              I'm not sure what a reasonable action could be taken though, where do we place these people?

It's almost impossible to hold them, and keeping them unconscious is almost impossible too.

If this just is the nature of human evolution though, maybe it shouldn't be stopped. Humans are going to continue to evolve, even with intervention.

Maybe we should just let what happens, happens. If we destroy ourself, then so be it.

To take away the freedoms of someone because of a biological process, isn't right... no matter how dangerous they are, or not.

This would indeed be a hard line to step on if this were a reality.
              Last edited by Alan Wake; 19 September 2009, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                I'm not sure what a reasonable action could be taken though, where do we place these people?

It's almost impossible to hold them, and keeping them unconscious is almost impossible too.

If this just is the nature of human evolution though, maybe it shouldn't be stopped. Humans are going to continue to evolve, even with intervention.

Maybe we should just let what happens, happens. If we destroy ourself, then so be it.

To take away the freedoms of someone because of a biological process, isn't right... no matter how dangerous they are, or not.

This would indeed be a hard line to step on if this were a reality.
                I totally agree with that. If we as a species were meant to destroy ourselves, we could only hold it off for so long. What is meant to happen, will happen.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

just ship them to mars.
                  With a few super powers they could terraform the planet.
                  Or send them even further out

Comment

I'd say no. Look at X Men, they had their problems. There would always be people outcasting those with powers, would be a whole new form of racism, and then you'd get the odd psychopath who could travel through time, or turn into an atom bomb, and life as we knew it would be screwed.

I've no doubt some powers would be used for the greater good, but by all accounts, I'd expect most people would use them for evil purposes, or at the very least, their own personal gain. Think about todays world; those with power abuse it.
                    sigpic
                    It's Probin' Time!

Comment

I guess taking powers to those extremes of evil versus good is a hard thing to judge. If we take powers in people as inventions then we can see that no matter what the possibilty for great evil and destruction is always there. Should we have stopped the invention of gun powder? It can be used for great beauty {fire works} or great destruction{guns}.

Yes super powers can help people to do great evil and great destruciton, but every great step in technology has also done that. What people may do with either technology or inate powers should not create such fear that we act to punish without a crime ever being comitted.

Computers can be used to hack other computers, should we lock up those with computers? Knives can kill should no one be allowed knives? People with powers could hurt us should we lock them all up?

It does not matter, really if a person can kill you with their power, blow the world up with a nuclear bomb, or have steak knives in their cupboards; unless that person acts in a way that is clearly planning to do harm or had done harm, locking them up is wrong.

If you plan to lock up people with powers, simply because they "could kill" then you should also lock up people with access to guns, or knives, or poisons because they could kill too. Anyone can powers or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                        It's not that I view them as a threat, it's that they are a threat.

In reality, you're telling me if someone had the power to vaporize you, or "suck you up into a black hole", if he just got a little mad, you would want them walking around?

If people could be trusted with these powers then sure, everything would be alright, but the point is people can't be trusted.

I'm not sure about you, but with powers like these, I wouldn't give anyone the benefit of doubt. It's just to dangerous.

I'm not a Nazi here trying to round up people and can kill them because of religious beliefs, I'm talking about the saftey of , well... when it comes to some powers... the whole world.

Like it or not, some things have to be done to secure safety... and if that means some freedoms are lost for those with powers... well... that's how it goes.

I'd like to think an option to have the powers taken away would be present, because that would make the situation more easy to deal with. But if that isn't an option, harsh measures would have to be taken.
                        Well, I don't trust America (or any other nuclear superpower, take your pick) not to nuke everybody, and let's face it, they can. Does that mean, that we should lock everyone with a big stick up? If people had superpowers, they would keep each others in check, just like they do now. IMO.

Comment

What happens when we get people who can change the timeline? Like hiro?

Not everyone is going to be a kind and innocent soul like him. People are greedy, and we're bound to get people who try to change things for their own benefit.

This is why the world just wouldn't work. You can't have someone with a world altering ability on their shoulders. Heck, I'm a nice person... and I would even be tempted to use powers like that for my own gain. I wouldn't even trust myself.

If everyone had small abilities, like just healing... things might be fine. but when you get into the bigger powers, like time changes, illusions, black holes., etc... you can't trust anyone.

Comment

I think the world would develop just as comic books portray; most would try and live in secrecy, some would turn evil and terrorize the world, and a brave few would take to the skies to fight for justice/money/fame/etc.
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Imagine people are unarmed, there can be destruction by criminal elements, right?

If guns and explosives were legal and easily obtainable in a country, it's much easier for the "bad guys" to cause a lot of destruction and they would do that.

Now imagine people can be even more destructive with superpowers. The world would be in a much more chaotic shape than it is now.

No matter how hard the good guys would try.

Comment

Working...
                              X