Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the world function with super powers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to think that we would eventually come to live with superpowers in our world. I mean, to me it simply seems like the next big social conflict... first it was race, then gender, then sexual orientation...

Superpowers are the next logical step, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Keinutnai View Post
      Imagine people are unarmed, there can be destruction by criminal elements, right?

If guns and explosives were legal and easily obtainable in a country, it's much easier for the "bad guys" to cause a lot of destruction and they would do that.

Now imagine people can be even more destructive with superpowers. The world would be in a much more chaotic shape than it is now.

No matter how hard the good guys would try.
      I'd have DBZ powers.Let's see a supervillain stop a planet buster.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
        The thought has crossed my mind a few times when watching this show, and I know we've seen some moments where the government is forced to take action against otherwise extremely dangerous ( power wise anyways ) individuals.

Do you guys think that the world could deal with people with abilities? Would our way of life be changed dramatically?

In some cases, the abilities of these people could benefit us, like the healing powers. But I think more often then not, the powers they have would lead to disaster and destruction.

When you have people that can make black holes, melt metal, change time, explode themselves into a nuclear bomb... we're just asking for trouble.

I personally don't think these people should be allowed to have these powers and run free. If we had the ability to take them away, we should. If we're not able to take them away, then we should lock them up.

I know this makes me should a little harsh, but it's reality. People, just in general are greedy, destructive, and would do anything to get the upper edge on someone. Governments would most likely collapse from people abusing these powers for their own good.

So what do you guys think? Can the world function when people have "Super Powers?" Where do we draw the line on what we ( The Government ) can take away? Should these people be locked away?
        Look at EVERY show that has shown powered individuals. Civil rights for them were often flat out ignored, so too were the laws (such as the constitution) in how the government or other orgs are, in hunting down 'super individuals' almost like once one has a power, you are no longer flat out human.. Therefore human rights no longer applies...

And just cause yes there would be people out there abusing their powers, that does NOT mean we should automatically treat ALL supers like that and lock them away with no trial, or rights. NOR does it justify using them as lab rats or forcing them to take xyz drug to try and strip them of their powers.
        If that was the case, then should we not do the same to other segments of the population who have X percentage that is killing others (such as muslims, blacks etc)??

It's not that I view them as a threat, it's that they are a threat.

In reality, you're telling me if someone had the power to vaporize you, or "suck you up into a black hole", if he just got a little mad, you would want them walking around?

If people could be trusted with these powers then sure, everything would be alright, but the point is people can't be trusted.
        And how is that any different than someone having a gun, or big rig which if he got irked off, he could use to run into a massive crowd of people killing them/shooting them up?
        JUST cause someone MAY be a threat, does not mean we automatically should just lock them away without any form of due process.

ILike it or not, some things have to be done to secure safety... and if that means some freedoms are lost for those with powers... well... that's how it goes.
        As said by Ben franklin
        "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Comment

Working...
        X