• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acceptance (404)

Visit the Episode GuideHEROES SEASON FOUR
    ACCEPTANCE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 404

Haunted by newly unearthed memories of his youth, Nathan Petrelli seeks closure about the mysterious disappearance of an old girlfriend. Tracy returns to her old boss in the hopes of getting her life back, while Hiro makes the most of his last days by trying to stop a coworker from jumping off the roof.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 May 2015, 10:17 PM.

Hmm, I wonder if Sylar is still in Parkman's mind now that he's revived. Or is the Sylar that Parkman sees just a guilt thing created by himself. Probably find out next episode.

Comment

As much as I appreciated the previous episode, this one left me wondering if there’s much momentum to this season at all. Certain lessons from the past seem to have been forgotten once again, and other plot threads seem to have meandered before the initial conditions could be adequately explored.

Looking back on how Hiro’s ability has been handled, even during the continuity-challenged third season, the rules were fairly clear. Only the future was mutable; the past was the past and could not be changed. That’s not what the writers are presenting this season, and they have yet to offer a compelling reason why Hiro is suddenly the latest incarnation of Sam Beckett from “Quantum Leap”.

Perhaps worse, Hiro’s efforts in this episode still seem to be played more for laughs than for any serious advancement of the character. Hiro has been the victim of poor character management since the end of the second season, but this latest direction doesn’t seem to fit what has come before. I’d like to see Hiro gain some maturity and gravitas again.

I was also displeased with the direction taken with Nathan/Sylar. Four episodes into the season, the writers have already all but abandoned the entire point of “reprogramming” Sylar into thinking he was Nathan. I said previously that it was a mistake to have Sylar start showing through the seams too quickly, but now it’s clear that they never had any intention of keeping “Nathan” around for any meaningful purpose.

That said, this is one ridiculous way to explain how Sylar regains control of his own body again. It smacks of an excuse to keep the real Sylar out of sorts and de-powered for a while, so the writers can figure out how to tie things together. After doing this with Peter and Sylar over and over again since the first season, the mechanics of the cliché have become glaringly obvious.

I’ll give the writers credit for bringing back Bruce Boxleitner’s corrupt Senator for an episode. That side of Tracy’s life disappeared completely once the writers started making things up as they went along last season. At the same time, wouldn’t the Senator be wary of associating with someone who was implicated in the events of the “Fugitives” arc? Sure, it was hush-hush, but Tracy was a major part of the story, and Washington insiders would likely have gotten rumors that she had been involved.

Perhaps the Senator and his cronies didn’t see that as a problem; he certainly had no compunction using her in other ways. She was not happy about his immediate request, and that might explain why she was so willing to consider Noah’s alternatives. Her control over her ability (or lack thereof) probably didn’t hurt.

I still think they’re trying too hard to sell the idea that the characters are seeking redemption. As I’ve said before, it’s a lot more convincing when the characters either achieve or fail to achieve redemption through action, not words. I don’t even think that the word “redemption” should be mentioned by the characters at all. Be true to the characters, let them evolve logically over time through crisis, and redemption will attend to itself.

Comment

It's been said so many times "The writers don't believe in story continuity."

Hiro will never be handled as an adult, since he always has been the (only) comic relief.

Sylar's story can unfold in 2 main ways: Either Sylar awoke and Parkman/Sylar is Parkman/ParkmanConcience, or more probably, Sylar will mope around without a soul vaguely wandering in Parkman's direction until Sylar jumps out of Parkman back into his old body.

Though I like Boxleitner, I'd prefer dropping him for seeing Noah in a Denny's uniform for 2 minutes trying and failing to keep a job, or more _activities_ with the main cast.

Comment

is the whole season going to be this boring or what?

they never should have axed the company

Comment

I've been gone for awhile but this season is pretty much a goner. I won't watch it on TV since its not worth the aggravation of waiting through commercials. This episode was contrived and well boring. The above reviews covers most of my problems with this episode.

Comment

Harsh critics here. It's still must see TV for me. And T-Bag will always be T-Bag. That's my only beef. He needs to stay sleezy and weak without super powers.

Comment

This was one of the dullest Heroes episodes, out of its run so far!

Comment

1. Very cool water-Tracy effect at the start.

2. Liked what they tried to do to Nathan but his Mum had a point, he shouldn't have tried explaining things - even if Kelly's Mum didn't have her own gang of hired goons.

3. Hiro. Meh at this point - however remember who's telling Hiro to change history, the rule seems to be not that you can't change history but that you shouldn't.

4. Noah. Well he's got a point, what can he do right now?

5. I originally thought that Tracy was deliberately turning into water to get away from the dodgy governor. If it was accidental then yeah, that makes things tricky for her.

Allright ep, they seem to still be setting things up.
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
                    Hmm, I wonder if Sylar is still in Parkman's mind now that he's revived. Or is the Sylar that Parkman sees just a guilt thing created by himself. Probably find out next episode.
                    I am thinking its gonna be with Parkman for a while, Till Sylar is back to his old self..

Originally posted by entil2001 View Post
                    Looking back on how Hiro’s ability has been handled, even during the continuity-challenged third season, the rules were fairly clear. Only the future was mutable; the past was the past and could not be changed. That’s not what the writers are presenting this season, and they have yet to offer a compelling reason why Hiro is suddenly the latest incarnation of Sam Beckett from “Quantum Leap”.
                    Maybe they are going this route as a way to show Hiro, minor changes are ok, big ones are no no, as they do his whole "too many butterflies"..

Originally posted by entil2001 View Post
                    That said, this is one ridiculous way to explain how Sylar regains control of his own body again. It smacks of an excuse to keep the real Sylar out of sorts and de-powered for a while, so the writers can figure out how to tie things together. After doing this with Peter and Sylar over and over again since the first season, the mechanics of the cliché have become glaringly obvious.
                    Agreed. BUT it also ties into how Sylar got unpowered in S2, right after a near death experience..

Comment

Working...
                    X