• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Day In the Old Town (201)

Visit the Episode GuideFRINGE SEASON TWO
    A NEW DAY IN THE OLD TOWN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 201

Olivia returns home via a car accident that leaves her with no memory of her experience, and the team tracks an assassin who can shape-shift in order to get close to his target.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 23 July 2013, 07:58 PM.

What a great way to start the season. The episode went by way too fast for me though. I was really sad when it ended, and the way it ended. Poor Charlie, RIP.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

you would think they'd have checked charlies mouth, though really you would think that with a shapeshifter on the loose they wouldn't be running around alone

Comment

Mmmm...

I'm sorry but I find the whole "face-changing" thing ridiculous. Not so much the concept but the execution. For instance, how does altering the facial features to appear like someone else also change the hairstyle, build, and voice? I accepted a lot of things in Season 1, because they were executed plausibly. But this, and in the first episode of a new season, disappointing.

Kudos to the producers, however, for successfully making what appears to be a flawless transition from filming in New York to Vancouver. Now let's see them maintain this illusion as the season progresses.

Looking back, this episode was really rather plain for a season opener. I'm used to the bookends of a season being big and eventful.

I won't shoot down the new agent just yet, it's a little premature. But if the series is trying to bring some religion to Fringe, I may well switch off, as I did when the same thing was attempted on Heroes. I suspect the introduction has something to do with American religious demographics, and seeking to capture a wider audience. If so, the UK and Australia are having a laugh.
        sigpic

Comment

nice to see fringe back..... did not like how they treated charlie, oh well at least the actor is still around for a while. like him. loved to see peter, olivia and walter and astrid again. Nice little dialouges.... and boyle is cool to. shame we did not see a thing of william bell, but that was obvious. well cant get more excited for the next episode! a good filler for the wait of the last season of lost
          cheers
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
            nice to see fringe back..... did not like how they treated charlie, oh well at least the actor is still around for a while. like him. loved to see peter, olivia and walter and astrid again. Nice little dialouges.... and boyle is cool to. shame we did not see a thing of william bell, but that was obvious. well cant get more excited for the next episode! a good filler for the wait of the last season of lost
            cheers
            Personally, I see this show as much more than filler. It is becoming great in its own right. I hope it continues at this high level of quality for many seasons.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk View Post
              Mmmm...

I'm sorry but I find the whole "face-changing" thing ridiculous. Not so much the concept but the execution. For instance, how does altering the facial features to appear like someone else also change the hairstyle, build, and voice? I accepted a lot of things in Season 1, because they were executed plausibly. But this, and in the first episode of a new season, disappointing.

Kudos to the producers, however, for successfully making what appears to be a flawless transition from filming in New York to Vancouver. Now let's see them maintain this illusion as the season progresses.

Looking back, this episode was really rather plain for a season opener. I'm used to the bookends of a season being big and eventful.

I won't shoot down the new agent just yet, it's a little premature. But if the series is trying to bring some religion to Fringe, I may well switch off, as I did when the same thing was attempted on Heroes. I suspect the introduction has something to do with American religious demographics, and seeking to capture a wider audience. If so, the UK and Australia are having a laugh.
              I thought the 'quiet' approach to the season opener was an interesting approach. I did sit there wondering for a bit why nothing seemed to be related to what happened with the shocking ending of the last season. Olivia suddenly appearing as she did was a nice touch though.

The face changing thing does add that extra tension though, we won't know who is really who they are meant to be. I guess the voice, mannerisms and anatomical information is transferred via that box in some way. I have to agree with you about the execution, but they may still surprise us with some other element of that "face changing" technology.

Charlie's fate really got me, I really liked his character. It will be hard watching him as the enemy. The new agent reminds me a bit of Olivia when she started out, doesn't give up easily either.

I too was glad to see that they did do a good job with the transition from New York to Vancouver. I was worried about the fact that we'll start seeing the all too familiar landmarks again. Good to see the tight filming, keeping to generic street scenes and close ups. The use of CGI to give us the impression that they were in Washington DC for example, really helped I thought. Like you say, I hope they keep it up, I'll be just too disappointed if I end up seeing my neighbourhood on Fringe!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                I thought the 'quiet' approach to the season opener was an interesting approach. I did sit there wondering for a bit why nothing seemed to be related to what happened with the shocking ending of the last season. Olivia suddenly appearing as she did was a nice touch though.

The face changing thing does add that extra tension though, we won't know who is really who they are meant to be. I guess the voice, mannerisms and anatomical information is transferred via that box in some way. I have to agree with you about the execution, but they may still surprise us with some other element of that "face changing" technology.

Charlie's fate really got me, I really liked his character. It will be hard watching him as the enemy. The new agent reminds me a bit of Olivia when she started out, doesn't give up easily either.

I too was glad to see that they did do a good job with the transition from New York to Vancouver. I was worried about the fact that we'll start seeing the all too familiar landmarks again. Good to see the tight filming, keeping to generic street scenes and close ups. The use of CGI to give us the impression that they were in Washington DC for example, really helped I thought. Like you say, I hope they keep it up, I'll be just too disappointed if I end up seeing my neighbourhood on Fringe!!!
                I will have trouble with the whole Charlie situation for quite a while, I am sure. At least the actor is still on the show, for now. And, there is still the alternate him.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                  I will have trouble with the whole Charlie situation for quite a while, I am sure. At least the actor is still on the show, for now. And, there is still the alternate him.
                  Ah yes, now there's where it might get interesting again for Charlie.

So with the opening scene, let's dissect this. Olivia was in AE, and then drove a car back across the threshold, but some guy knew where she was entering and intercepted her with a car, but why didn't Olivia come through until Walter triggered the car? Is it because the transfer of living things across the realities is much more difficult than inanimate objects like cars?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    Personally, I see this show as much more than filler. It is becoming great in its own right. I hope it continues at this high level of quality for many seasons.
                    yeah sorry, i did not want to say it that way, for me its a great show to shorten the time for the last final season of lost but its not a real filler anymore. the first season was, but at the end it became so much more than a filler.
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't like what happened to Charlie. I thought it was a pretty cold way to treat a character. I thought he deserved more than a pointless offscreen death and being burned in a trash incinerator.
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                        I don't like what happened to Charlie. I thought it was a pretty cold way to treat a character. I thought he deserved more than a pointless offscreen death and being burned in a trash incinerator.
                        He did deserve better. But it did make a big impact IMO. That may have been what they were going for.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                          Yeah exactly! It was a very harsh way to treat both the actor and his character in my book. After the news broke in May that he was "fired" only to find him in this episode kinda threw me off guard. To me it did feel rushed and like a last minute decision to either include him and then switch him to an enemy or not. To me his demise doesn't add up as he was so prominent in the first season, so consistent with his mannerisms, and so important to the team that he had a whole episode revolve around him, his wife, and his very survival.

At any rate, I'm glad that he will be back for at least a few more episodes (since the intro of Jessup I'm sure they won't have him in it for too long). what do you guys think of the soldier?? Could he be ZFT in the AE (s1 blabberings of a coming war) or could he in fact be the enemy that ZFT is fighting in the AE. Finally, why did Olive forget everything when she crossed back when I presume that Bell travels frequently between universes and still recalls everything. All in all a great, interesting, and controversial first episode. Can't wait for the rest of the season to start peeling back the veil.
                          Sheppard: ..."You guys do have names, right?"
                          ..."Let me guess ... Steve?"
                          <He was cool..for a Wraith!>

Comment

Originally posted by StevetheWraith! View Post

At any rate, I'm glad that he will be back for at least a few more episodes (since the intro of Jessup I'm sure they won't have him in it for too long). what do you guys think of the soldier?? Could he be ZFT in the AE (s1 blabberings of a coming war) or could he in fact be the enemy that ZFT is fighting in the AE. Finally, why did Olive forget everything when she crossed back when I presume that Bell travels frequently between universes and still recalls everything. All in all a great, interesting, and controversial first episode. Can't wait for the rest of the season to start peeling back the veil.
                            It will definitely be a wild ride this season. I am sure of it.
                            sigpic
                            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I know I can't wait for @#$% to really hit the fan!! Buried objects, super soldiers, and more mysteries than you can shake a stick up really point to a brilliant sophomore year ffor Fringe.

Oh and on another note, unlike some viewers I think that Jessup will really add some new legs to the show. But do ya think is up with her cross referencing the Bible? Do I smell a Supernatural Crossover?! will they have to call in Bobby Singer for help?! Anyways, I must have episode 2 like now!!
                              Sheppard: ..."You guys do have names, right?"
                              ..."Let me guess ... Steve?"
                              <He was cool..for a Wraith!>

Comment

Working...
                              X