Sanctuary Fanfic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samcartersg1 View Post
    Just wanted to drop in and give a little self promotion to my first fanficiton Stargate Sanctuary Crossover

Summary in 3 words - Helen vs Ba'al
    That sounds really fun LOL. I do not watch SG but i know who Ba'al is (Don't ask) So that would promise to be great.

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
    Depends on the context. And also why you ask the question. Do you want the intended party to read the chapter before anyone else? Or are you just giving them a heads up? Usually, if there's a dedication for a specific chapter, an Author's Note mention is all that's needed. It's more meaningful if you don't do an Author's Note each chapter-- if you do have a Note per chapter more people are likely to skip the Note to get to the good stuff.

But it could go either way. Or you could do both. I'd need more info on the context of the request and the chapter posting to give an official opinion.
    I have had it happen a few times where someone would ask for a continuence on a completed story and If I can think of something I keep going. But if the story is completed there is no reason to presume it will be added to. So is it egotistical to send them a PM to say This is the chapter you asked for or is it somehow impolite to not tell them, as they DID request it or is "Keep going with this" Just a polite way of saying 'one day you MIGHT be a good writer. Keep trying'
    sigpic
    Wonderful Signature made by the increadible Nikola

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamweaver View Post
      I have had it happen a few times where someone would ask for a continuence on a completed story and If I can think of something I keep going. But if the story is completed there is no reason to presume it will be added to. So is it egotistical to send them a PM to say This is the chapter you asked for or is it somehow impolite to not tell them, as they DID request it or is "Keep going with this" Just a polite way of saying 'one day you MIGHT be a good writer. Keep trying'
      In my opinion, you should only write a sequel if you have more to tell and not because one of your readers is asking you for more (unless it has sparked a great idea, of course). If you feel a story is done then it's done, and while it's flattering for readers to ask for more you can simply tell them that you have told the story you wanted to tell and that they're free to imagine what else might happen - but you're not going to write it. If you do have an idea for a sequel then you can reply to them saying that you've got plans for a bit (or a lot) more, that you'll take their suggestions (if they made any) in consideration and that the sequel will probably be published in [time] so they should keep their eyes open - or follow you.

If you get a great idea from one reviewer's comment about wanting more even though you weren't really planning on a sequel and your story is already complete (and you like the ending), then you can always write a one-shot that you will post separately (as a new story) with an author's note that it was inspired by the suggestion [name] made. However, I think you should be really careful with this because it might lead to more people requesting (personal/specific) continuations and you might not be in the mood to do so but don't want to reject all of them either.

You could also simply add an extra chapter to your completed story if it's an epilogue and perhaps add a short author's note about how pleased you were with everyone's reactions and that you decided to write a short epilogue (perhaps set months or even years later) due to popular demand.

I don't know if any of this is helpful at all, because it's not really a specific answer. But in my experience it really depends on the mood you're in, how you feel about the (end of the) story and what your rapport is with the person who requested it. For example, I have quite a few regular reviewers who will always ask for more or they'll come up with suggestions what might happen in the future (hinting that I should write this) and I'm always polite in my response but often I just say 'no'. A lot of times I do give my input in what I think could happen in the future and give my opinion on whatever they suggested but I'm not going to write an entire story about it. Basically, if I feel I have told the story I wanted to tell then I'm done and will not write a sequel. But it has happened that people comment on the ending or what might happen later on that it'll spark an idea that just won't go away, so I tell them I'll think about it and to keep their eyes open - I usually end up writing a short sequel about it or make notes for a sequel in the future (I have too many ideas and too little time, so there's a big list of stories and some things will just have to wait). None of those reviewers have ever been offended to my knowledge, by the way, and they usually keep coming back for new stories too. So, it's really about the rapport you have with them and how you respond in your review/PM replies.

If you're not sure about what they're saying exactly and are afraid of taking it the wrong way (as a want for more when they're actually telling you one day you might be a good writer) then just ask them for clarification. Don't be afraid to ask! A lot of times such questions actually lead to more (and better) contact with your reviewers and from what I've been told by a lot of my reviewers is that they appreciate the responses I give them - some are actually surprised I reply at all and it usually leads to a great rapport with them, which means they're waiting for you when you start a new story.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I definetely have more to tell in my Sanctuary story.
        sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
        https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          In my opinion, you should only write a sequel if you have more to tell and not because one of your readers is asking you for more (unless it has sparked a great idea, of course). If you feel a story is done then it's done, and while it's flattering for readers to ask for more you can simply tell them that you have told the story you wanted to tell and that they're free to imagine what else might happen - but you're not going to write it. If you do have an idea for a sequel then you can reply to them saying that you've got plans for a bit (or a lot) more, that you'll take their suggestions (if they made any) in consideration and that the sequel will probably be published in [time] so they should keep their eyes open - or follow you.

If you get a great idea from one reviewer's comment about wanting more even though you weren't really planning on a sequel and your story is already complete (and you like the ending), then you can always write a one-shot that you will post separately (as a new story) with an author's note that it was inspired by the suggestion [name] made. However, I think you should be really careful with this because it might lead to more people requesting (personal/specific) continuations and you might not be in the mood to do so but don't want to reject all of them either.

You could also simply add an extra chapter to your completed story if it's an epilogue and perhaps add a short author's note about how pleased you were with everyone's reactions and that you decided to write a short epilogue (perhaps set months or even years later) due to popular demand.

I don't know if any of this is helpful at all, because it's not really a specific answer. But in my experience it really depends on the mood you're in, how you feel about the (end of the) story and what your rapport is with the person who requested it. For example, I have quite a few regular reviewers who will always ask for more or they'll come up with suggestions what might happen in the future (hinting that I should write this) and I'm always polite in my response but often I just say 'no'. A lot of times I do give my input in what I think could happen in the future and give my opinion on whatever they suggested but I'm not going to write an entire story about it. Basically, if I feel I have told the story I wanted to tell then I'm done and will not write a sequel. But it has happened that people comment on the ending or what might happen later on that it'll spark an idea that just won't go away, so I tell them I'll think about it and to keep their eyes open - I usually end up writing a short sequel about it or make notes for a sequel in the future (I have too many ideas and too little time, so there's a big list of stories and some things will just have to wait). None of those reviewers have ever been offended to my knowledge, by the way, and they usually keep coming back for new stories too. So, it's really about the rapport you have with them and how you respond in your review/PM replies.

If you're not sure about what they're saying exactly and are afraid of taking it the wrong way (as a want for more when they're actually telling you one day you might be a good writer) then just ask them for clarification. Don't be afraid to ask! A lot of times such questions actually lead to more (and better) contact with your reviewers and from what I've been told by a lot of my reviewers is that they appreciate the responses I give them - some are actually surprised I reply at all and it usually leads to a great rapport with them, which means they're waiting for you when you start a new story.
          What she said!

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
            yea that is my general rule as well. But if i do get the spark for an idea and continue what is the proper etiquette in addressing the person who sparked it?
            sigpic

Comment

yea that is my general rule as well. But if i do get the spark for an idea and continue what is the proper etiquette in addressing the person who sparked it?
              I would just post it, with an author's note. If it was a signed message they sent you, you could send them a heads up, but odds are they've already added your story to their story alerts, or will catch your story when it refreshes on the story list. There's no formal etiquette.

Comment

What about with requests?
                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                  What about with requests?
                  Again, no formal etiquette. If a reader suggests something to me, either as a specific request or as a random spitball, and I develop a story from it, I usually just put in a shout out via author's note. If it's someone I know from previous exchanges, I might send a brief PM pointing them towards the chapter or story.

That's just me. Others may have their own methods.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                    Again, no formal etiquette. If a reader suggests something to me, either as a specific request or as a random spitball, and I develop a story from it, I usually just put in a shout out via author's note. If it's someone I know from previous exchanges, I might send a brief PM pointing them towards the chapter or story.

That's just me. Others may have their own methods.
                    Sounds good to me.

Comment

Ok. From a reading standpoint if you were enjoying a story and asked the writer to keep going even though they said it was complete would you be annoyed or feel honored if they sent you a message about a new chapter you inspired?
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok. From a reading standpoint if you were enjoying a story and asked the writer to keep going even though they said it was complete would you be annoyed or feel honored if they sent you a message about a new chapter you inspired?
                        I'd be pretty happy. They went to the trouble of adding another chapter. It's a good thing I believe.

Comment

I would feel pretty awesome. I mean, so long as it wasn't phrased "I really didn't want to write anything more for this story, but you wouldn't leave it alone so here's a new chapter please leave me alone now", then I'd be on cloud nine.

Comment

Here is the beginng of a John and Helen fanfic witht he link to come soon! LOL!

Helen Magnus, leader of the sanctuary Network, founder, and immortal stood looking out at her city from some unknown rooftop gazing at the ruble of her former home. Loneliness tore at her heart as well as despair. For weeks her soul had been crying out for the one touch in all the world she desired above all others. Montague John Druitt still owned her body and soul, his heart was still connected to hers, and it was his heart she longed to hear beating. She craved the feeling of his lips crushed to hers, the pleasurable way his fingers would dig into her hips hen he pulled her close. To others he was the Ripper, a killer, but to her all he saw was the man she loved. She would always love him no matter the body count he held. In the end, Helen was no saint either. Blood painted her hands. In this place, in the middle of the night, Helen could let his name fall from her lips. “John, where are you?” she asked the night not truly expecting an answer.
                            sigpic

Comment

I wrote a short fic
                              http://www.jackfic.net/emeraldcity/s...theshadows.htm

Post season 4, hint o abby and will and will likely continue that way
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hi guys, I'm writing a fic inspired by one of Wytewitch's plot bunnies, I started it an age ago but I found it again and decided to finish writing it and post it.

I have a question about a character's past that I'd like opinions on. In 'Edward' Helen says she questions whether she should have left Henry with his own kind, after she found him on the moors. My question is, which moors? I initially assumed moorland in the UK, Yorkshire perhaps, then I wondered if it should have been somewhere more remote, near the Rockies perhaps. I have switched back and forth between the two scenarios and can't decide which location I prefer, there are logical arguments for both. The opening chapters differ depending on where the moors are. I've written both versions and have swapped between them multiple times.
                                Last edited by neverendingimagination; 17 September 2015, 05:05 PM. Reason: Unfinished post, checked on detail
                                Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
                                If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Working...
                                X