X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with computer error message

here's what it says:

ialmrnt5 display driver has stopped working normally. (then some bla bla stuff)

it's been happening lately, just shortly after i've gotten on the computer. i'm not doing anything super graphics heavy, other than running the same websites i've been doing for years.

any ideas what's up and how to fix it?
    sally

sigpic

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/win...iver-error.php

Comment

i've been researching this, and then following links... this is waaay over my head in how to fix this! i finally found the right d/l for a display driver, but i don't know what to do with it. i don't even know how to uninstall the other one. this is all just a huge accident (by me screwing something up) waiting to happen.

can't someone suggest a different sollution? maybe some minor tweak to something and BAAM it's fixed?
      sally

sigpic

Comment

come on, with all the brains of this forum, someone's got to have an idea of how to fix or tweak this problem!
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
          i've been researching this, and then following links... this is waaay over my head in how to fix this! i finally found the right d/l for a display driver, but i don't know what to do with it. i don't even know how to uninstall the other one. this is all just a huge accident (by me screwing something up) waiting to happen.

can't someone suggest a different sollution? maybe some minor tweak to something and BAAM it's fixed?
          depends what kinda download it is - what is the file's extension ? (.exe ? .msi ? .zip ?)

installing a new driver is usually simple (at least if it's an executable or installer package) but uninstalling the previous one & rebooting is recommended. if you're on Windows XP just open the 'start' menu, then => select 'settings' => 'control panel' => double-click 'add/remove programs' and (perhaps the hardest part) find the line that corresponds to the old drivers and => click 'remove'

then reboot & install the new driver (and reboot again)

as for the "BAAM" part - since you wanted something different - you could always blow up your PC with some dynamite & buy a new preconfigured one, and baam problem solved. better try my method first though
          Last edited by SoulReaver; 16 September 2009, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
            depends what kinda download it is - what is the file's extension ? (.exe ? .msi ? .zip ?)

installing a new driver is usually simple (at least if it's an executable or installer package) but uninstalling the previous one & rebooting is recommended. if you're on Windows XP just open the 'start' menu, then => select 'settings' => 'control panel' => double-click 'add/remove programs' and (perhaps the hardest part) find the line that corresponds to the old drivers and => click 'remove'

then reboot & install the new driver (and reboot again)

as for the "BAAM" part - since you wanted something different - you could always blow up your PC with some dynamite & buy a new preconfigured one, and baam problem solved. better try my method first though
            in my research (reading others having the same probs and such), some said this didn't resolve their problem. so i'm afraid of not only messing with something that's out of my computer league, but it not even working.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

("cloning" your HDD before changing drivers would be an effective safeguard but this requires backup software)

can u remember what changes were made to your rig recently ? (software or hardware)

for example installed new applications ? changed the resolution or refresh rate of your monitor ?

does it happen at random or rather frequently ? or when u run a particular application ?

Comment

20lb sledge hammer should be standard equipment with every new computer you buy.

Comment

("cloning" your HDD before changing drivers would be an effective safeguard but this requires backup software)

can u remember what changes were made to your rig recently ? (software or hardware)

for example installed new applications ? changed the resolution or refresh rate of your monitor ?

does it happen at random or rather frequently ? or when u run a particular application ?
                  the only big change i can remember is getting a new monitor a few weeks ago. i can't remember when this prob started, though. and yes, i had to change something with the monitor to make things not so wide on my screen. it's a wide screen monitor and everything looked squashed. now it fits.

sally

sigpic

Comment

the only big change i can remember is getting a new monitor a few weeks ago. i can't remember when this prob started, though. and yes, i had to change something with the monitor to make things not so wide on my screen. it's a wide screen monitor and everything looked squashed. now it fits.

no new applications ?
                    when & how often does the problem arise ? (at random or during specific instances ie. watching movies etc.)

try changing the resolution (and refresh rate). change them to standard settings (for the refresh rate check your monitor manual, never go above its max value. also the max value depends on resolution chosen, higher resolutions mean lower maximum refresh rates. for example your monitor might support up to 100hz maximum at a resolution of 1024x768 but only up to 60hz max at 1600x1200)

Comment

no new applications ?
                      when & how often does the problem arise ? (at random or during specific instances ie. watching movies etc.)
                      i don't remember having anything new, besides the monitor.

but this always seems to happen just shortly after i've been on the computer. i check my mail, joe's blog, and couple of other places for info, and then head over here to gateworld. it sometimes happens before i make it to gateworld, or just shortly after. i'm on no more than 30 minutes.

try changing the resolution (and refresh rate). change them to standard settings (for the refresh rate check your monitor manual, never go above its max value. also the max value depends on resolution chosen, higher resolutions mean lower maximum refresh rates. for example your monitor might support up to 100hz maximum at a resolution of 1024x768 but only up to 60hz max at 1600x1200)
                      how do i do both of these things?
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

i don't remember having anything new, besides the monitor.

but this always seems to happen just shortly after i've been on the computer. i check my mail, joe's blog, and couple of other places for info, and then head over here to gateworld. it sometimes happens before i make it to gateworld, or just shortly after. i'm on no more than 30 minutes.

how do i do both of these things?
                        right-click anywhere on your desktop (as long as it's not on an icon), choose 'Properties' then click on the 'Settings' tab - this should allow you to change the resolution

then in that same 'Settings' tab click on the 'Advanced' button - there should be several new tabs including a 'Monitor' one, where u should be able to change the refresh rate. make sure the "hide the modes that this monitor cannot display" box is ticked. and make sure u don't select too high a frequency (check your monitor manual - maximum refresh rate depends on the resolution)

u might have to experiment with different resolutions & refresh rates and go back & forth between the 'Settings' tab & the 'Advanced' sub-tab

tbh I don't know what the ideal combination would be, assuming the monitor is even the cause of it :/

Comment

Gaff tape. Gaff tape fixes everything

Comment

right-click anywhere on your desktop (as long as it's not on an icon), choose 'Properties' then click on the 'Settings' tab - this should allow you to change the resolution

then in that same 'Settings' tab click on the 'Advanced' button - there should be several new tabs including a 'Monitor' one, where u should be able to change the refresh rate. make sure the "hide the modes that this monitor cannot display" box is ticked. and make sure u don't select too high a frequency (check your monitor manual - maximum refresh rate depends on the resolution)

u might have to experiment with different resolutions & refresh rates and go back & forth between the 'Settings' tab & the 'Advanced' sub-tab

tbh I don't know what the ideal combination would be, assuming the monitor is even the cause of it :/
                            the 'hide the modes that this monitor cannot display' box is clicked. i unclicked a box that said 'enable write combining'.

i didn't play this one game last night, just to see if i had any probs today. i don't know if this has anything to do with my prob -and it's never happened while i'm playing- but i'm just seeing... anyways, it's a game called bubble spinner. so far today, i'm not having the prob.

btw, what is 'refresh rate'? what does it mean?
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

the 'hide the modes that this monitor cannot display' box is clicked. i unclicked a box that said 'enable write combining'.

i didn't play this one game last night, just to see if i had any probs today. i don't know if this has anything to do with my prob -and it's never happened while i'm playing- but i'm just seeing... anyways, it's a game called bubble spinner. so far today, i'm not having the prob.

btw, what is 'refresh rate'? what does it mean?
                              you saying the problem could've been caused by this game - that'd be odd since it occurs outside the game

what made you untick the "write combine" box ?

I also take it you didn't modify the monitor settings ?

btw refresh rate is the number of times the image on your monitor is displayed per second (or refreshed). for example 100hz means whatever you see on screen is actually being "flashed" 100 times per second. like turning flashlight on/off/on very quickly

higher refresh rates are better - 50hz is too slow and you'd see the image flicker on your screen (it'd also give headaches), from 80hz onward it becomes invisible to human eye and the image appears "static"

traditional monitors need to use the refresh rate method because if the image were displayed "continuously" on screen it would heat up & burn the screen in no time

Comment

Working...
                              X