GW 10th Anniversary: Good Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GW 10th Anniversary: Good Memories

In honor of Gateworld's 10th anniversary, I thought it would be fun to discuss early Gateworld, the two forums, the people we have known and the friends we have made here.

There is also talk of cake.

Happy 10th Anniversary Darren, David and to everyone who worked with or participated in Gateworld!
    Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Cake?!
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

My first memory of GW was when I found it while searching for information about Michael Shanks leaving the show. Remember the old forum where Darren and David would start discussion threads? A friend alerted me to it soon after. Believe it or not, I was going to register under the names Ma'at or Seshat, but I was beaten to it, so I used the silly name of Luckylass until the new forum was created.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
        Cake?!
        Oh, yes. There must be cake.

Comment

HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY

You guys have done such an amazing job with gateworld it truely is a great place.

I have made friends here and have got to meet some of you at the 6th Annual Gateworld Dinner and it was a great night i gotta tell ya. If i'm in town and there's a 7th i will defently love to go again.

1 of many thigs that i like about this place is the community.Everybody here is so friendly and it's a fun place to be and it's great to meet fellow Stargate fans

Excellent work and cheers *cling goes the glasses*

who's brought the cake ?
          GOODBYE GATEWORLD. BEEN FUN TAKE CARE ALL!!

Comment

My first memory of Gateworld was looking up Stargate Forums. I liked the name Gateworld.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

I did, but I'm sure that there will be more.

It would be great if Darren would come on and tell us about the origin and early days of Gateworld. Even better, someone should interview both Darren and David.

Comment

Originally posted by McgillionFan View Post
                HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY

You guys have done such an amazing job with gateworld it truely is a great place.

I have made friends here and have got to meet some of you at the 6th Annual Gateworld Dinner and it was a great night i gotta tell ya. If i'm in town and there's a 7th i will defently love to go again.

1 of many thigs that i like about this place is the community.Everybody here is so friendly and it's a fun place to be and it's great to meet fellow Stargate fans ...
                I agree. I have made so many friends here that it would be difficult to list them. I've been able to meet many of them at the conventions and at the Gateworld dinners.

Comment

happy 10th b/day I am a realitvely new user but the forum and website is a great set up the infromation on here is great and the posters and other users are nice and welcoming I hope I am here to celebrate the 20th birthday lol

have a pint of ginnius on me!
                  shal kek'nemron

sigpic:

Comment

There are 93 people viewing this thread right now. Please join us and tell us your first or best memory of Gateworld.

Comment

I remember the old delphi forum and the green/black site. I discovered it while watching season 5. The one thing I remember was reading a thread about Daniel dying in Meridian, which completely spoiled the episode, which I hadn't watched yet. Damn you Gateworld, damn you. I now avoid spoilers at all costs.
                      My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

That's it! It was the Delphi Forum and you were supposed to type "Spoiler" and lots of stars running vertically down the page.

Comment

I remember having an argument..ahem...discussion on the Delphi Forum about Egyptian, Greek and Norse gods when two real archaeologists popped on and join in the discussion. I remember one of them was Iskandra who is both a linguist and Egyptologist. That was fun.

Comment

I discovered GW when it was still using the Delphi Forum...a couple of weeks before it made the move to here. I found it at Delphi by reading backroom chatter at the old Skiffy Stargate boards. Didn't particularly like those boards so I decided to check it out, and I never looked back.

GW was the first message board I had ever joined (well okay the second cuz I did have an account at Skiffy but never posted the couple of months I was there). Lurked here for several months until I worked up the nerve to jump in and post. It used to be so much smaller here.

Best message board on the net...or the best one I have ever run across.

So thanks go out to all the mods and a big thank you to Darren!
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

Gosh! I joined...a longish time ago. GW was my very first foray into the world of online fandom. I'm not around as often as I used to be because lots of my forum buddies have drifted away and/or gotten some of those pesky things called "lives", Nevertheless, it has doubtlessly formed some of the best times of my life.

I remember all the great political/religious/historical/fandom argumen--I mean discussions I used to engage in with people who either aren't here anymore or who have changed their names. I used to give out lots of green (with a side of sarcasm) to people I didn't particularly like, and red + green to people I did like (back when they let you spam folks control panels with giant greenies and/or reds. ) Red no longer exists here. What a pity. What. A. Pity.

I remember all the hysterical times we had making banners and posters and sigs and photomanips, and making little weird threads about random silly stuff like who got a new pet, or making up the next great SG spinoff or "marketing" Stargate themed articles like phones (that ring you up) or bug spray (for Replicator problems), All-Purpose Acid, etc.

I remember breifly being a System Lord with several other compatriots (u know who u are ). What folks don't realize is once you're a System Lord, you're ALWAYS a System Lord, quite true. I'd actually order you all to bow before your God, but they've changed all the names here, so what's the point? It was all such a long long time ago...at least, according to time, if you believe in that silly stuff. (System Lord-dom is beyond the archaic graspings of time!)

My best best BESTEST memories here though, are of making friends in the Say Something About The Person Above You thread (aka The Teapot Thread for those hip to the term...), in the Thunk and Whump Threads, and all those fun, silly places. Stalking and being stalked around the various Off and On Topic threads by people just as goofy and fun loving as me. Folks like lots of the peeps over at Samanda, Darth Buddha, Major Clangor, the dancer of spaz, blingaway, Pyewackett, Hatusu, Angelique, MartoufMarty, Emily_Reich, Scary Tan, Shrodingers Cat, Seshat, Silver Rider + the excellent people who maintain the GW Roleplay and EVERYbody else I've forgotten to mention...I've had a fantastical BLAST meeting and hanging around with all of you.

GW was...(is?)...a forum of Rhyme and Rhythm, Song and Speech Calm and Controversy...Color and Colorful People.

Happy 10th! Here's to 10 more!
                              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Working...
                              X