Babylon 5 to be remastered ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    IMHO, redoing the cgi on B5 would be like remastering Classic Trek, with new and improved special effects.

it'd be like colorizing the beginnings and ending of wizard of oz.

a travesty
    THANK YOU, finally someone else who's sane
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
      I don't know if they are or aren't, but it would be nice. And THEN they would have to be rebroadcast so a whole new generation of people can fall in love.

Am I reaching a little too much?
      I think it is unlikely that this will happen the way you are envisioning
      And besides, I doubt they will broadcast the full and original episode exactly how it was first shown.

Comment

to the best of my knowledge, the show has never been put in strip syndication...that's when a station owns the shows and can air them whenever they want. such shows are often used as daily filler.

strip syndication is what kept trek alive. what bred the interest for trek:tng, 20+ years of daily re-runs that kept the show alive instead of having it be a forgettable 3 season show from the 60's.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Personally. I don't think it's nessecary to redo B5. The integrity of the show is what makes it good, not the contrast of the picture or the quality of the special effects. Same with original Trek.

I'm not really a trekker, but I could, watch, original Trek. But the remastered Trek, I can really really get into. a little shallow I know but the good thing about Trek is that it's the integrity of the show that makes it still enjoyable.

personally. I'd be interested to see it, but I don't need to. I love the show as it stands and it will always be the version I fell in love with.

"Say goodbye to your sanity!"

Spoiler:

Mollari: Isn't it ironic? When I first came to Babylon 5 I had all the choices in the world, and no power at all... now I have all the power I could ever want... and no choice... no choice...

Mollari: It was something my father said. I was just a boy... and I heard him, crying in his room. I asked him what was wrong, and he said "My shoes are too tight... but it does not matter... because I have forgotten how to dance..." ...I never understood that until now... now... my shoes are too tight... and I have forgotten how to dance...
          Vir: I don't understand...
          Mollari: ...nor should you...

Comment

I would only like to see a remastered version of b5

www.darkarmada.nl
            www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
              I would only like to see a remastered version of b5
              The trouble of going back to remaster all of the B5 material would be a serious undertaking. It's doubtful that many people would want to spend the money for it anyway. Though I love the B5 DVDs, to spend money on a whole new set isn't something I'm willing to do.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm a big fan of Babylon 5 myself, and over the years I've collected the Season 2-4 DVD sets and the Movie Collection; all good investments, especially given the fact that to my knowledge B5 isn't on TV -anywhere- at this time.

If they were really going to do a remastered or "updated" version, in my mind it would be a pointless and futile gesture if its not also on broadcast TV. I certainly wouldn't want to buy more DVDs just for better graphics; but it might mean something if new people could be exposed to one of the finest science fiction programs I know of. I mean B5 is really kind of invisible these days, everyone I bump into that knows it grew up with it, or saw it in its original run at some point back in the 1990s. I mean I don't know of anyone who got into the show in reruns, after the fact (but I'm sure some people did).

I'm thinking this isn't something JMS or his crew would want to do or have done, but if it could somehow increase exposure for the franchise I could tolerate it. I personally consider "In the Beginning" to be in my top 10 Sci-fi film list; its too bad that more people can't be exposed to such great work.

Comment

Originally posted by Gallienus View Post
                  I'm a big fan of Babylon 5 myself, and over the years I've collected the Season 2-4 DVD sets and the Movie Collection; all good investments, especially given the fact that to my knowledge B5 isn't on TV -anywhere- at this time.

If they were really going to do a remastered or "updated" version, in my mind it would be a pointless and futile gesture if its not also on broadcast TV. I certainly wouldn't want to buy more DVDs just for better graphics; but it might mean something if new people could be exposed to one of the finest science fiction programs I know of. I mean B5 is really kind of invisible these days, everyone I bump into that knows it grew up with it, or saw it in its original run at some point back in the 1990s. I mean I don't know of anyone who got into the show in reruns, after the fact (but I'm sure some people did).

I'm thinking this isn't something JMS or his crew would want to do or have done, but if it could somehow increase exposure for the franchise I could tolerate it. I personally consider "In the Beginning" to be in my top 10 Sci-fi film list; its too bad that more people can't be exposed to such great work.
                  The wonderful, enduring thing about B5 is that it's very much like a book. If you start watching it again after a period of not watching it, you'll look at it different ways because you're a different person. I remember the first time I watched "Dust to Dust" when it first aired a long time ago. When I watched it recently, I appreciated it in very different way because of the things that had happened in my life since it aired.

Having said that, I don't think a new DVD is going to be in the works. A while ago, I heard that the original graphic templates for all the ships and the station were somehow lost. Though they have some good new designs of the original ships, going back and redoing the effects shots for something like "Into the Fire" would be a major headache.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well in a way B5 for me denotes the end of one period of my life and the start of another. I personally didn't even see Season 5 until I got the DVDs. The reason was I was born in the late 70s and I grew up without cable television. As some of you may be aware after Season 4 Babylon 5 switched to TNT; up to that time I'd been watching it in Houston on a local station, and I was very disappointed that I would not be able to see the rest of the series. About a year later we did get cable, but for me I spent 18 years of my life without having cable TV at home, something that's virtually unheard of for younger people these days. At any rate, B5 has personal relevance for me beyond creative and entertainment value.

Getting the DVD's was big for me too since, like a good book, I had not laid eyes on the product for more than 10 years I think and it was a very interesting experience to go back and see it all again. Too bad about the original 3D models/effects being lost though, that is quite a downer indeed.

Comment

Well in a way B5 for me denotes the end of one period of my life and the start of another. I personally didn't even see Season 5 until I got the DVDs. The reason was I was born in the late 70s and I grew up without cable television. As some of you may be aware after Season 4 Babylon 5 switched to TNT; up to that time I'd been watching it in Houston on a local station, and I was very disappointed that I would not be able to see the rest of the series. About a year later we did get cable, but for me I spent 18 years of my life without having cable TV at home, something that's virtually unheard of for younger people these days. At any rate, B5 has personal relevance for me beyond creative and entertainment value.

Getting the DVD's was big for me too since, like a good book, I had not laid eyes on the product for more than 10 years I think and it was a very interesting experience to go back and see it all again. Too bad about the original 3D models/effects being lost though, that is quite a downer indeed.
                      I was away in college for most of season 5 and I didn't have access to any kind of a TV, so I understand your POV there. I had somebody record them for me and I ended up watching most of the fifth season episodes in summer of 98.

In fact, when I went off to college, I pretty much stopped watching TV altogether for a very long time. That was a pattern that went on for almost 7 years. But that gradually changed.

I rarely watch TV these days either, but there are three notable exceptions. If there's baseball, but only involving teams that I like, I'll take in the game. I followed Southland as it was an interesting cop show and definitely pertained to my real life occupation and interests. Too bad Southland got canceled though. The final exception would be if there were a Stargate episode on. With Atlantis and SG-1 off the air, and I don't have the DVDs for either of them, that means the only Stargate I watch now is SGU.

I don't usually watch the news or anything else on TV. Since baseball season is over now for the teams that I follow and Southland's been canceled, SGU is it. My one hour of actual live TV per week.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well you know Sci-fi Used to run Babylon 5 episodes; I'm actually wondering why the syndication deal was withdrawn entirely, I mean these days you're more likely to find an episode of Quincy on TV then B5.

I really don't watch much in the way of first run television anymore either; I used to keep up with Atlantis, SG-1 and BSG. In fact when I was going to school in West Texas I had to have family tape Sci-Fi Fridays and send the episodes two me every two weeks so I could keep up; this was before iTunes picked up Stargate and before Unbox was even on my radar. That was actually the last time I ever used VHS tapes too.

At any rate, I'm wondering how cost-effective remastered TOS has been, and if it's been considered a good investment in the Star Trek franchise. That might indicate the viability of such a choice for any older show as well; after all if Jim Kirk can't get it done, what chance do the rest of us have?

Comment

Well you know Sci-fi Used to run Babylon 5 episodes; I'm actually wondering why the syndication deal was withdrawn entirely, I mean these days you're more likely to find an episode of Quincy on TV then B5.

I really don't watch much in the way of first run television anymore either; I used to keep up with Atlantis, SG-1 and BSG. In fact when I was going to school in West Texas I had to have family tape Sci-Fi Fridays and send the episodes two me every two weeks so I could keep up; this was before iTunes picked up Stargate and before Unbox was even on my radar. That was actually the last time I ever used VHS tapes too.

At any rate, I'm wondering how cost-effective remastered TOS has been, and if it's been considered a good investment in the Star Trek franchise. That might indicate the viability of such a choice for any older show as well; after all if Jim Kirk can't get it done, what chance do the rest of us have?
                          The thing about TOS is you know there's going to be a wide market out there so any potential costs are going to be offset by fan nostalgia. B5 is pretty much a cult following rather than a widely known cultural phenomenon.

By the way, where did you go to school at in west Texas? I have relatives in Austin.
                          sigpic

Comment

I got a BA in General Studies and an MBA in Management from a tiny University in Alpine Texas (Sul Ross State). Of course in this economy I've made very little headway looking for work even with my educational background and I'm (oddly enough) in the process of preparing to attend West Texas A&M In the spring for a Master of Science in Finance and Economics.

Anyway, not to be entirely off topic; you make a good point on the Star Trek thing, even though that franchise has been run into the ground (in the past) it still has an enormous and passionate fan base. I find most people who enjoy Sci-fi know about B5, but it doesn't really have exposure beyond those bounds, so it is a niche product to be sure. With the deaths of Andreas Katsulas, Tim Choate and Richard Biggs the original cast of B5 is dwindling as well. At least we'll always have those memories.

Comment

I got a BA in General Studies and an MBA in Management from a tiny University in Alpine Texas (Sul Ross State). Of course in this economy I've made very little headway looking for work even with my educational background and I'm (oddly enough) in the process of preparing to attend West Texas A&M In the spring for a Master of Science in Finance and Economics.

Anyway, not to be entirely off topic; you make a good point on the Star Trek thing, even though that franchise has been run into the ground (in the past) it still has an enormous and passionate fan base. I find most people who enjoy Sci-fi know about B5, but it doesn't really have exposure beyond those bounds, so it is a niche product to be sure. With the deaths of Andreas Katsulas, Tim Choate and Richard Biggs the original cast of B5 is dwindling as well. At least we'll always have those memories.
                              I totally empathize with your situation. Everyone is getting hit badly in this economy, even the law enforcement field. I work with deputies and park rangers. My supervising ranger, despite over 30 years of seniority, is getting furloughed 3 Fridays a month. For the rest of us, the ranger/police academy got tanked this fall and I would've been attending. Everything's been set back a year, perhaps a year and a half. To complete the indignity, all of our hours were cut. Consequently, I've worked only 2 days in the past 40!

I didn't know that Tim Choate passed away. That's too bad. From what I saw of him in his B5/Crusade roles, he was really talented. I'll miss Zathras and his furs.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X