Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VOY: Shouldn't there have been more kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOY: Shouldn't there have been more kids?

In the 7 years of being stranded only 2 children were born on Voyager to the crew, Naomi and Tom & B'Elanna's daughter.

Should there have been more effort to show that other members of the crew had begun to pair off and start family's? As far as we know only B'Elanna and Tom got married in the 7 years and no other relationship got any further than dates.

Was this just another case of the writers not really focusing on the realities of the situation? They would mention about having to become a generational ship but never actually show it happening.
    sigpic

I think many people would be reluctant to start families on that ship. If you think about it, be'lanna and tom made more sense than any other possible couple, since for the, voyager was the only place either of them actually felt at home.

But you are right, amongst a crew of 85 or so you would think there would be at least 1-2 more pregnancies in 7 years, unless of course starfleet had access to male contraceptives, which would prettymuch lock down births on the ship .

Honestly, I belive the current lack of male contraceptives on a huge conspiracy, but thats just me...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
      I think many people would be reluctant to start families on that ship. If you think about it, be'lanna and tom made more sense than any other possible couple, since for the, voyager was the only place either of them actually felt at home.
      Actually the crew seemed dedicated to getting back to the Alpha Quadrant which they knew would/should have taken the rest of their lives, so they thought they were going to spend their lives on the ship.

I think they also mentioned that Voyager was starting to be a home to the crew a few times as well.
      sigpic

Comment

Definitely there should have been more kids. Perhaps there were, among the rest of the crew. I don't like most child-centered episodes, so just as well there weren't any more...
        sigpic

Comment

The episodes wouldn't have needed to be child centred. The only children we saw where Naomi and the Borg children (who got shipped off). I doubt Naomi would have been as big a deal if there had been other children aboard.
          sigpic

Comment

i can't see many people wanting to start a family on voyager. pairing off sure. but who would want to have children on a ship which routinely gets attacked by borg, hirogen, kazon, vidian and god knows would other enemies.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              i can't see many people wanting to start a family on voyager. pairing off sure. but who would want to have children on a ship which routinely gets attacked by borg, hirogen, kazon, vidian and god knows would other enemies.
              I feel the same way. Many wouldn't want to bring children into such an environment, never knowing what the eventual outcome of their being stranded would be.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I can understand why people wouldn't want to bring kids into that situation, but they didn't know they were only going to be on board for 7 years- so I would have thought that more would have subscribed to the notion that "you can't let fear rule your life" and have reproduced. Besides, they would need more generations to keep the ship on track for Earth.

Now, that said, since it did only turn out to be 7 years, with contact reestablished to the Alpha quadrant after what, 4 years (?), there could have been a good number of them with commitments that they were unwilling to renege on in the desire of keeping hope alive and therefore stayed single. Had they never talked to earth and just one day shown up on the doorstep, I would expect more kids.

I think the bigger thing about the kids is Naomi Wildman being like, 11 by the end of the show, when she was really only about 5 with Ensign Wildman's long gestation. I know she was half alien, but still, that was ridiculous. Her accelerated growth rate might have scared potential couples off too!
                sigpic

Comment

Half-Breeds would probably have been rare, most of the crew was human, there were only a handful of Bajorans, at most a couple of Bolians (only one we know of for certain), a few Betazoids (at least 3 and 2 of them died), 2 Vulcan males, and a Half-Klingon.

Then again if they had really been serious about replacing crew they could have had the Doctor clone the dead crew.
                  sigpic

Comment

while i have only seen season 1 of voyager...im pretty sure that the ship isnt that big and an increased population would put strain on the resources and such

Comment

Having no crew left would probably be worse and they lost a far few when they were transported to the Delta Quadrant.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Wolf View Post
                        Having no crew left would probably be worse and they lost a fair few when they were transported to the Delta Quadrant.
                        It isn't a very large ship, but the crew they lost were easily replaced by the marquis crew.

What surprised me was that there were not more aliens like neelix hitching a ride for a season or so, helping out, then taking their leave.

Once they had contact with the federation, the ideas of being a true " Generational Ship" were kind of dampened. I would assume many of the crew had wives, husbands and kids in the alpha quadrant waiting for them, leaving many of the crew to be kind of "off limits" so to speak.

Not to mention the " sibling" factor. If you work with someone enough, it can make you not see that person as a possible romantic interest, but more of a sibling/relative. I myself have seen it, working with beautiful women for 65+ hours a week, you very quickly get over potential attraction and you file them under the off limits category for sake of having an easier time at work.

the only reason paris/torres worked is they were both very rebellious individuals who are exactly the type to not let themselves fall into the common mindset.

Comment

Was it ever mentioned on Voyager that there were no other children? Just because we didn't see them, doesn't mean they didn't exist.
                          Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                            It isn't a very large ship, but the crew they lost were easily replaced by the marquis crew.

Not to mention the " sibling" factor. If you work with someone enough, it can make you not see that person as a possible romantic interest, but more of a sibling/relative. I myself have seen it, working with beautiful women for 65+ hours a week, you very quickly get over potential attraction and you file them under the off limits category for sake of having an easier time at work.

the only reason paris/torres worked is they were both very rebellious individuals who are exactly the type to not let themselves fall into the common mindset.
                            The ship wasn't that small either its not like it was a shuttle, people work in different departments, different shifts etc. Some of the crew were even able to completely avoid contact with others in their own department.

At one point hadn't Tom and B'Elanna only been able to spend 15 minutes together in weeks because of their schedules.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                              Was it ever mentioned on Voyager that there were no other children? Just because we didn't see them, doesn't mean they didn't exist.
                              I'm not sure, but I had the feeling from watching that there wasn't (apart from the Borg children) and I believe it was mention at least a few times the Naomi was the only child on board.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X