Sympathy for the Devil (501)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sympathy for the Devil (501)

APOCALYPSE NOW — Picking up where the finale left off, Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Sam (Jared Padalecki) watch as the Devil (guest star Mark Pellegrino, “Lost”) emerges from Hell. The brothers and Bobby (Jim Beaver) deal with the aftermath of Lucifer rising and the stunning news from Chuck the Prophet (guest star Rob Benedict) that Castiel (Misha Collins) was blown to bits by the archangels. Robert Singer directed the episode written by Eric Kripke (#501).

Lucifer rises from Hell. Sam, Dean, and Bobby deal with the aftermath and find themselves caught in the middle of a war. A revelation is made about Dean and Lucifer goes searching for his human vessel.

'Kay, so, here it is folks. The premiere of the last season...maybe.

Liked it? Didn't like it?

I'm unsure. On the one hand I understand the need to slow things down and lay down the rules of this war, but I think I was hoping for something more exciting.

Castiel? Always awesome.
    sigpic

Comment

Personally, I thought this was a great season premiere. It really laid out the direction of this season, and set up a lot of things. I am very excited for what is to come, starting with next weeks episode.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I think what bugged me the most was God saving Dean, Sam, and Castiel. I was okay with this idea of God as the super being who created the world and now leaves it alone (which is kind of what they hinted at last season), but now he's saving people? Why only Dean, Sam, and Castiel? Why not the whole world? Why doesn't he intervene and prevent Lucifer from taking his vessel? I mean if he can save the angel, Castiel, then why can't he stop the other angel, Lucifer?

I've got no problems with TPTB playing with angels and demons, but leave God out of it because then you get into the whole omnipotent thing and questions arise as to why he just can't save everyone. Let God be too "big" for us puny humans on this little lonely planet.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
          I think what bugged me the most was God saving Dean, Sam, and Castiel. I was okay with this idea of God as the super being who created the world and now leaves it alone (which is kind of what they hinted at last season), but now he's saving people? Why only Dean, Sam, and Castiel? Why not the whole world? Why doesn't he intervene and prevent Lucifer from taking his vessel? I mean if he can save the angel, Castiel, then why can't he stop the other angel, Lucifer?

I've got no problems with TPTB playing with angels and demons, but leave God out of it because then you get into the whole omnipotent thing and questions arise as to why he just can't save everyone. Let God be too "big" for us puny humans on this little lonely planet.
          i loved everything about the premiere and look forward to seeing where it goes from here,and i think we will get answers to why they were saved eventually...my bet is because they can stop bith the demons and angels and prevent both sides plans.if it is god then it looks like he aint happy about the angels plans but maybe he actually isnt all powefull?

Comment

I'm wondering if it really was god that saved Dean, Sam and Castiel. Maybe it was an angel who doesn'tt agree with what the other angels are doing. It might even have been Lucifer, so far what we know about Lucifer comes from the other angels, and they aren't exactly reliable. Or maybe like kennythewraith said god might not be all powerful. Only four angels have seen him, so it might all be a big conspiracy by these four angels.

The only thing that bugged me was Dean being Michael's vessel. In the previous season it was said that vessel can see the true form of angels and hear their true voice without being damaged. Dean could not withstand Castiel's true voice, so how can he be a vessel?

Other than that i really liked the premiere. It had the right combination of action, drama and humour (the superfan was creepy but funny, made me think of the obsessed fangirls of a certain vampire book/movie). Lucifer promises to be an interesting character, charming but manipulative. I also loved to see Castiel finally kicking some angel butt and getting out on top. And i wonder how the Dean and Sam trust issue is going to be resolved.
            sigpic

Comment

Overall, I loved it. Maybe not up with Lazarus Rising, but certainly the best opener after that IMO.

As always, the Sam/Dean stuff was excellent. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they rebuild their relationship.

Bobby and Cas are so badass.

The stuff with Becky was hilarious. I loved Dean's "Oh, thank God, the angels are here..." line too.

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
              I'm wondering if it really was god that saved Dean, Sam and Castiel. ... It might even have been Lucifer, so far what we know about Lucifer comes from the other angels, and they aren't exactly reliable.
              Yeah, Lucifer was my first thought too. Would certainly make things more complicated.

The only thing that bugged me was Dean being Michael's vessel. In the previous season it was said that vessel can see the true form of angels and hear their true voice without being damaged. Dean could not withstand Castiel's true voice, so how can he be a vessel?
              Welll, it seems like each angel has a specific vessel, or at least a specific bloodline (Castiel/Jimmy and his daughter; Lucifer/Nick; Michael/Dean), so maybe the vessels can only withstand "their" angel?

Comment

Wow, that was a lot to take in! I think I need to watch it again to get things straight in my head...

What I didn't get was how Bobby could be possessed? I mean, as careful as he is, don't you think he has that charm tattoo as well? Good for him, though, that he took control of the demon before it could kill Dean.

Poor Dean, anyway. He's wanted by the demons, by the angels, probably Lucifer himself - and he can't trust his brother, and Bobby's paralyzed. And the no. 1 fan is a Sam girl!

Now one thing I find very disturbing is that Zachariah can 'send' visions to Chuck. He's able to mess with a gospel as it is written? WTF? The cryptic reference was pretty good, though. Rover Street. (I really like to know how they're gonna translate that for the German version...)

I loved it how Dean stood up to Zachariah. A welcome change from his usual urge to sacrifice himself for others. This time, no matter what Zach threatened to do to Sam or Bobby, Dean said 'no'. Maybe he had to get disillusioned with everybody until he learned to put himself first.

Can't wait for next week. This should be a really awesome season. The mix of humor and drama in the premier was great. It seems we're gonna see some action in the next one...

sigpic
                Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

I enjoyed the episode. Good humor with the number fan, good drama with the brothers. I'm enjoying the arch that has been laid out for the season.

Comment

Ok warning you up front, I watched it 3 times and took notes the last time. This might be long!

A quick overview: I mostly loved this ep, but there were a few niggling points that came up (some of which you guys have mentioned). Since I don't have a lot of time here to do this in a proper essay-form, it will be more a run-through of the ep with my likes and dislikes.

-The Road So Far. Excellent recap montage. What was the song, anyone?

-Love the new title card graphic

-Getting pulled out of the chapel. Hmm. Some of you have issue with the God explanation. I actually kind of like it that God HASN'T left the building (because, frankly, that was prettty hard concept for someone as religious as me to suspend disbelief over), but just getting yanked away from a scene as potentially exciting as facing Lucifer as he rises? I was disappointed that we were cheated of that confrontation. Though I like the transition to the Yosemite Sam cartoon. And, poor Dean! He has a right to be afraid of flying. The two times he's been on a plane they DO almost crash!

-CHUCK! Love Chuck. One of the best lines: Do I have a molar in my hair? This has been a really stressful day.

-I have always really liked the idea of the blood glyph (even if it has a number of inherent problems when you think carefully on it). It's a cool visual device and the way Dean uses it to stick it to Zachariah is a cheer-out-loud kind of moment....makes me overlook the continuity issues there like: when could they have POSSIBLY had time to put it on the door, and why does Dean have no cut on his arm in the very next scene?

-Sam telling Dean in the hotel where he learned how to make the hex bags. I like the way Jared plays this. Sam is still embarassed and horrified by what he did (more on this later), but he is also resolved not to lie to Dean any more.

-I do NOT like the getting sober cheat! Being Supernatural, I can only hope that it wasn't completely true and Sam isn't free of the physical ramifications of his addiction, because I am not happy that he got a 'get out of jail free' card on this point.

The uber-fan. I didn't like her in the first scene with her on the computer. The scene took a little too directly from a similar scene with Justin Long in Galaxy Quest. And, while I am guilty of reading fanfiction, 'Wincest' makes my skin crawl! However, I loved Becky's scene in the hotel room. Poor Sam is the butt of so many jokes, it was a nice turnabout to make Becky a Sam Girl who dismisses Dean. And Jared, who gets much less humour to play than Jensen, was hilarious. "Becky? Can you quit touching me?"

-BOBBY! (well, sort of) and BABY!!! (the Impala).

-Ok, someone already brought this up, but I re-iterate. How did Bobby get possessed? He is the one who told Sam and Dean about charms taht ward off possession in the first place....but again, I will let it go, because it made for a very dramatic scene. Except for the fact that:

-It was too obvious that it wasn't Bobby as soon as he went after Sam. Bobby simply doesn't do that. Bobby is like the anti-John. He doesnt verbally attack people in anger. He may yell out some painful truths to the boys, but the things he was saying to Sam went against every Bobby-code we've seen about sticking together and being family no matter what. They should have instantly picked up on that, no matter what Sam had done. Oh man, though, the look on Sam's face! That was absolutely crushing!!

-Meg. I am one of those that has a hard time accepting different actors playing a role, but I liked this actress. She really embodied the quirks of Meg that Nikki Aycox set up. And her and Dean's exchange gave us one of my two favourite lines from the ep: What is that? Peanut butter?

-Love loved loved that Bobby loves the boys so much, he was able to overtake the demon momentarily to save Dean, like John did in Devil's Trap. And the resulting fight between the demons and Sam and Dean was awesome. Though, I seriously doubt Sam or Dean would be able to walk at all after the beatings they took!

-About time there the hospital staff questioned these guys coming in with knife wounds! (the nurse telling them they would have to answer questions).

-The Lucifer vessel. I like Mark Pelligrino because of Lost. I have seen him do some great acting there, so I am confident in his abilities to portray Lucifer. The bloody crib would have been more powerful if I hadn't seen it in previews and spoilers (I am going to try for the first time to NOT look at any more spoilers this year so that I can be properly shocked at moments like this...we'll see how long my resolve lasts. )

-I like the continuity of John's storage locker. Been wondering what happened with that.

-My other favourite line: Oh thank God. The angels are here.

-I know this is going to divide people, but I got shivers of excitement when Zach told Dean he was the Sword of Michael. I LOVE this twist of events! I didn't see it coming at all and I like all that it could imply. I think it also helps to humanise Dean again because like Zach says, Dean isn't going to stop Lucifer because he has some latent superpowers like Sam, he is just a human. A special human, but just a human.

-Dean realising that Michael needs his consent is a powerful moment, because it limits the angels' powers and gives some of it back to us mere mortals. This whole scene is probably my favourite of the episode. We have the visceral images (and sounds) of an angel torturing the good guys (!). The sounds of Sam's legs breaking. *shudder* And more importantly, for the first time, we see Dean FINALLY break the Winchester cycle of sacrificing anything to save each other. Sam's life is tangibly threatened and Dean is still strong enough to say 'no' to Zach. Bobby could be healed, and Dean still says 'no'. Each 'no' had me beaming with pride. And his "Yes....kill us" made me cheer out loud!

-CASTIEL! Fantastic entrance and he finally gets to kick butt. Again, I kind of like the God concept. I like the idea that for the MOST part He does leave humans alone to make their own good or bad choices, but in something this big? He isn't going to just sit by, He has an ultimate plan and might need to occassionally steer the car away from oncoming trees.

-Castiel's best line for me was: Now put these boys back together and go. I won't ask twice.

-Carving of the sigil on their RIBS was a idea. Painful, but very

-Lucifer's calm reasoning with the vessel was a well done scene. If you didn't know who Lucifer was, you could almost feel sorry for him. It also gave us the first glimmer that Mark can handle the humour aspect of Supernatural: Could you do me a favour there...Satan? And remind me to quit drinking before I go to bed? Nice wry delivery on that line.

-Bobby's brow-beating the doctor was fun to see. He wouldn't get all sappy about his prognosis. And his apology to Sam was perfect and illustrates how obvious it was that he was possessed earlier.

-I thought Dean's speech in the hospital was OTT and a little too gun-ho, but I'll forgive the chessy-ness of it since he later says he was just doing it for Bobby's sake and doesn't believe it.

Whew! That WAS long!! I tried to warn you. The sad part is: I'm not done. I have skipped all the stuff concerning Sam and Dean's relationship. That needs a post all it's own. It is so complex and I have so many conflicting thoughts running through my head about this. Plus, I am sure many of you have already checked out just looking at the size of this post! . My "Sympathy for the Devil Review part 2" will be forthcoming. I'm sure you're all on pins and needles waiting to hear it...

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      Personally, I thought this was a great season premiere. It really laid out the direction of this season, and set up a lot of things. I am very excited for what is to come, starting with next weeks episode.
                      Me, too. I loved this so much. There was so much going on. Lots of new questions were raised that I can't wait to see the answers to.

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
                      -The Road So Far. Excellent recap montage. What was the song, anyone?
                      AC/DC - Thunderstruck. Always nice to go back to the classics.

-Love the new title card graphic
                      Me, too! I was discussing with a friend the other day what kind of graphic they might have this season. I was thinking fire would be appropriate, but that had already been done. I think the blood works really well.

-Getting pulled out of the chapel. Hmm. Some of you have issue with the God explanation. I actually kind of like it that God HASN'T left the building. I was disappointed that we were cheated of that confrontation.
                      I like it, too. It really lends a very GRAND SCALE to what might be going on this season. So, it looks like God is home. But what kind of work is He up to?
                      I actually like that we didn't get the confrontation right then. As it will then make their first actual encounter with Lucifer that much stronger, I think.

-It was too obvious that it wasn't Bobby as soon as he went after Sam. Bobby simply doesn't do that. Bobby is like the anti-John. He doesnt verbally attack people in anger. He may yell out some painful truths to the boys, but the things he was saying to Sam went against every Bobby-code we've seen about sticking together and being family no matter what. They should have instantly picked up on that, no matter what Sam had done. Oh man, though, the look on Sam's face! That was absolutely crushing!!
                      See, I kind of took this along the lines of Bobby's speech to Dean in When The Levee Breaks. Ya know, that "Boohoo, Princess" speech? It was something that I think needed to be said to sort of knock some sense into each of the boys, but he didn't really mean it. Of course that whole point was moot as soon as we knew Bobby was possessed. But even if he hadn't been, I could have bought it.

-I know this is going to divide people, but I got shivers of excitement when Zach told Dean he was the Sword of Michael. I LOVE this twist of events! I didn't see it coming at all and I like all that it could imply. I think it also helps to humanise Dean again because like Zach says, Dean isn't going to stop Lucifer because he has some latent superpowers like Sam, he is just a human. A special human, but just a human.
                      I squeed so loud when we got that bit of news. I think it is a really, really amazing twist to Dean's "destiny." Because Castiel and all the angels may say that Dean is going to be the one to stop the apocalypse. But how? How can a human stop someone as powerful as Lucifer and his army? Now we know. It will be very interesting to see where that storyline goes.

-CASTIEL! Fantastic entrance and he finally gets to kick butt.
                      Yes! Another fantastic entrance for Castiel. Though it makes me wonder what is going on with him. Cos he's got some serious mojo he didn't have pre-explosion. Did God amp up his angel juice after saving him? Is he now an archangel? Is he even Castiel? Could he be someone else? Michael? God, even? I'm so happy and excited they made Castiel a regular for this season. His storyline is going to be amazing.

-Lucifer's calm reasoning with the vessel was a well done scene. If you didn't know who Lucifer was, you could almost feel sorry for him. It also gave us the first glimmer that Mark can handle the humour aspect of Supernatural: Could you do me a favour there...Satan? And remind me to quit drinking before I go to bed? Nice wry delivery on that line.
                      Yes. I almost started sympathizing with him myself! But you know they say that every villain is the hero of his own story. Lucifer doesn't see himself as doing anything bad or wrong. He loves God, as he said.

I think I'm going to need to watch this a few more times to take everything in....

Comment

What a great episode!!

i'm kinda glad the boys didnt face off against Lucifer, dont ask me why, just am. Speaking of Lucifer, Mark Pelligrino was great! cant wait to see him as Lucifer, compared to as the nick, the vessel. Im glad the showed the that, to understand why someone would agree to be Lucifers meatsuit.

As to how the boys got on the plain and Cas alive, i'd like to think that it was god, rather than Lucifer. Or if not god, then Anna, but whether shed have the power to do that is something else.

Cas kicking butt! need i say more!

Chuck was Chuck, wouldnt have minded seing a bit more of him in the episode. Super fangirl was funny! love he remark to Dean an that she couldnt keep her hands of Sam.

Great to see Bobby! But as a meatsuit for a demon? arrggg! Though it was cool to have Meg back as a recall to season 1, wasnt that impressed with the actress.

Comment

My questions/comments:
                          (1) How did Bobby get possessed? That really threw me.
                          (2) Did I read the credits correctly and now Misha Collins is listed as a cast member instead of a guest star? Sweet!
                          (3) That girl who kept touching Sam. Hilarious!

I'm so glad the new season is here!

IHS
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Switch42 View Post
                            See, I kind of took this along the lines of Bobby's speech to Dean in When The Levee Breaks. Ya know, that "Boohoo, Princess" speech? It was something that I think needed to be said to sort of knock some sense into each of the boys, but he didn't really mean it. Of course that whole point was moot as soon as we knew Bobby was possessed. But even if he hadn't been, I could have bought it.
                            No. Like I said, Bobby WILL yell at the boys. He has no compunction about that. It is WHAT he said. No matter how much Bobby yells (because, sometimes, they really need someone to smack them out of their pity-parties), I don't believe for a second that he would tell them to 'lose his number'. Until then, I bought it. Once he said that, I said 'demon'.

Thanks for the song title too, Switch! I thought it was AC/DC, but had no idea which song!

Comment

Supernatural: "Sympathy for the Devil" Review

The season premiere of Supernatural, "Sympathy for the Devil," picks up exactly where the season finale left off, with Lucifer rising from hell. There is a lot to cover and the episode does not waste a minute of screen time. The battle lines have been drawn, Lucifer has arrived, and the angels and demons are gearing up for a fight. Meanwhile, Dean and Sam find themselves on neither side, having been betrayed by both.

Scored a 9/10 rating

continues:
                              http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/102/1023671p1.html

Preliminary ratings suggest the fifth season premiere of Supernatural didn’t fare as well, drawing (a still decent) 3.4 million viewers.
                              http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/09/...hey-dont-suck/

That's down from the 3.96 million viewers for the season 4 premier, but up from the season 4 finale of 2.89 million viewers.
                              Last edited by Madwelshboy; 11 September 2009, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X