X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU Reviews/Articles (Announcements only) Spoilers S1-2

http://www.mediapundit.net/2009/09/s...th-seeing.html

Stargate Universe is a promising show worth seeing

EXCERPT: I'll have a lot more to say about Stargate Universe in the coming days now that I've seen the first three episodes, but before I spend a great deal of time putting everything into focus -- honestly I'd like to sit down and watch the entire thing again before I write my story -- I'd like to share a couple of immediate thoughts on what I remember, what my first impression was.

People who will not like this show are people who do not like this style of show. It almost doesn't matter what your personal relationship is to Stargate in general, it's not the Stargate factor that will put you off or suck you in forever, it's that this is not a family action show pretending to be science fiction like its predecessors were.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

http://www.inentertainment.co.uk/200...e-on-one-time/

The highly-anticipated “ Stargate Universe,” which is the third series in the Stargate franchise, is due to premiere on October 2nd, on SyFy and according to cinemaspy.com, their staff were invited to spend time with the cast and crew recently.

Robert Carlyle, David Blue, Alaina Huffman, Louis Ferreira and Elyse Levesque, are just a few of the cast that star in the new show. And Robert Cooper and Brad Wright are the executive producers and writers.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

http://io9.com/5346269/stop-shaking-...laroid-picture

Stop Shaking My Movies Like A Polaroid Picture

EXCERPT: The shaky cam is so common these days it's cliche. In order to curb this trend we've categorized the good, the bad, and the ugly of the candid cam takes. Not all shaky cams are created equal.

I'm not discounting every use of shaky cam ever, simply asking for it to be used sparingly, especially with shows like Stargate Universe and the threat of movies like Cloverfield 2 and another Blair Witch on the horizon. Until filmmakers learn to keep us engaged and literally unable to look away, I vote for a moratorium on shaky cam use.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know there is already a thread for reviews.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=68834
        sigpic

Comment

Review:
          http://io9.com/5354900/
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
            And it's a basically spoiler-free review as well.

Comment

Nice. Thanks for the link.

I'm glad they addressed the Stargate: 90210 accusations head-on.

The more I hear of SGU, the more excited I get.
              "God save us from half the people who think they're doing God's work." - Dean Winchester

Comment

I am hereby declaring this an ANNOUNCEMENT ONLY list

Largely because, ordinarily there's a bit of discussion about what's in the article, but you guys have proven that you're incapable of remaining on topic (such as discussing ONLY what's in the article without getting on your personal soapboxes about how much you hate it/love it/hate other fans/agree with them, etc)

This thread is ANNOUNCEMENT ONLY

You want to discuss what's in these articles/reviews, c/p the link from the article over into the existing discussion thread and continue things there.

We're not going to have multiple threads where folks can keep banging the same tired song out on the same tired drum.

So, you want to discuss any of these articles, go over to the existing discussion thread. People that carry on discussions here will get gagged.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the link! I too am glad they addressed the Stargate: 90210 crap that's been throwen around since SGU was announced.

Comment

http://www.cinemaspy.com/article.php?id=3168

EXCERPT:… It is less than one month until the spaceship Destiny gets underway in SGU;Stargate Universe and we've got another glimpse of the new show for you, courtesy of Syfy. To watch the action-packed 30-second promo click on the Video tab above.

*Don't forget to keep checking back at CinemaSpy.com for our upcoming series of reports from the set of Stargate Universe in Vancouver.

Comment

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/sgu-n...say-producers/

SGU not Battlestar, say producers
                      by James Rundle

excerpt:
                      Robert C Cooper and Brad Wright, the creators and executive producers of the upcoming Stargate spin-off, Universe, have refuted claims that the show will heavily resemble Battlestar Galactica.

Speaking to SciFiNow, the pair denied that Universe would lean heavily on the Peabody Award-winning series, but would stay true to the spirit of the franchise. “No,” said Wright when we asked him if similar themes would run through both shows. “It’s still Stargate and while it’s darker in some ways, SG-1 and Atlantis were often quite dark.”

Cooper, who joined the Stargate SG-1 as a writer and became a co-producer in the fourth season, however, disagreed with this assessment. “I think ‘dark’ is the wrong word” he replied. ” I think in some ways it’s more realistic. I think Stargate can’t get more contemporary – it always was contemporary – but what I think we struggled with often was because it was taking place on alien planets, we had people speaking in alien speak and in this case we’re dealing more with characters from earth who get to speak in more contemporary ways. Maybe their issues and their flaws and challenges are, hopefully, more relatable and more contemporary to a broader audience.”

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rant.aspx?id=20090910_sgu

09.10.09 - 12:01 AM]
                        THE FUTON'S FIRST LOOK: "STARGATE UNIVERSE" (SYFY)
                        By Brian Ford Sullivan

STARGATE UNIVERSE (Syfy)
                        (Fridays at 9:00/8:00c starting October 2)

EXCERPT:

What works: For better or worse, "SGU" doesn't look or feel like any of its predecessors. Between its handheld camerawork, ethereal score and wide array of character archetypes, the franchise hasn't felt this energized in years. And while the above description may sound like a giant info dump, the show's premise quickly boils down to "a group of people trapped on an alien spacecraft trying to survive and get home." Sure there are winks and nods to what's come before (the Lucian Alliance, ascension, etc.), but for the most part we're discovering things through the characters' eyes. To that end the decision to initially frame the show through Eli's experience is genius: he's literally and figuratively the new viewer and comments on things as such, giving a meta voice to both newbies and fans alike.

What doesn't: ...the show inevitably decides to sidestep following through on them in the name of having an easy out. In other words, nobody dies because of the decisions of others - the deus ex machina of the plot actually frees them from doing so. Both cases expose the inherent flaw of the show: it's more than willing to walk up to the precipice of truly shaking things up, it's just not willing to make the leap. Said aspect bleeds into other aspects of the show as well. The Destiny crew for instance isn't actually on their own: several just-so-happened-to-make-the-trip alien devices will allow them to trade consciousness with folks back on Earth, meaning everybody they've ever known is still a phone call away.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

From today's twitter:

@greymunford: Stargate Universe rocks the Entertainment Weekly Fall TV Preview! Pick up your copy when it streets tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                            From today's twitter:

@greymunford: Stargate Universe rocks the Entertainment Weekly Fall TV Preview! Pick up your copy when it streets tomorrow!
                            SGU ROCKS EW?! I don't think even Teal'c's eyebrow can go high enough in response to that statement...

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                              SGU ROCKS EW?! I don't think even Teal'c's eyebrow can go high enough in response to that statement...
                              EW never gave Stargate a nod. Even when it was at it's best.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X