Epitaph Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epitaph Two

Finally got around to seeing the end of the season the other night; I'm glad it's finally got rolling. It'll be really nice if it survives season 2, but I was just pondering on the unresolved stories of Epitaph One....

Wouldn't it be a creative sort of storytelling if every season ended with an Epitaph story, each adding to that plotline--and then in the end, the main plots of the story end up tying into the Epitaph stories? I'm not looking for spoilers or anything here, I'm just musing on what might be fun in an ideal world where Dollhouse continues past next year
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

That was my suggestion exactly- kinda like a show within a show, "hidden" on the DVDs. But... I think that isn't how it's going to work out. Which I suppose makes sense from a storytelling perspective but is a bit disappointing from a fun perspective.

If the Epitaph story is continued within S2 itself, though, that might be a bit unfair as it'd require the audience to have seen E1 in order to understand what was happening. Not difficult for the hardcore geeks who get the DVDs and/or download it off iTunes or whatever, but for Joe Viewer who only watches what's on TV and doesn't follow fandom or care about DVDs it could make it a bit tricky. ...Unless they backtrack a bit and seed bits of E1 into the show, too, which would aggravate the loyalists.

Bah. I'm talking in circles.

I think having one "extra" ep per season devoted to the Epitaph story would be pretty nifty, even if it would severely limit what could be done with it since extra seasons are never a sure thing, especially with a Joss show. Double especially a Joss show on FOX. At a guess that's probably exactly why it won't happen.

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried about E1 being "required viewing" for Season 2. We already know that JW can spin a good continuation story, even under the assumption that no one knows anything. He could well wind up pulling a Serenity: provide you the information you need to know for the arc to make sense, but without labouring the point and boring the people who have seen that content.
      Captain Untouchable
      Captain's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
        That was my suggestion exactly- kinda like a show within a show, "hidden" on the DVDs. But... I think that isn't how it's going to work out. Which I suppose makes sense from a storytelling perspective but is a bit disappointing from a fun perspective.

If the Epitaph story is continued within S2 itself, though, that might be a bit unfair as it'd require the audience to have seen E1 in order to understand what was happening. Not difficult for the hardcore geeks who get the DVDs and/or download it off iTunes or whatever, but for Joe Viewer who only watches what's on TV and doesn't follow fandom or care about DVDs it could make it a bit tricky. ...Unless they backtrack a bit and seed bits of E1 into the show, too, which would aggravate the loyalists.

Bah. I'm talking in circles.

I think having one "extra" ep per season devoted to the Epitaph story would be pretty nifty, even if it would severely limit what could be done with it since extra seasons are never a sure thing, especially with a Joss show. Double especially a Joss show on FOX. At a guess that's probably exactly why it won't happen.
        I'm thinking that's a good idea. And maybe build it up so that by around S5 (if it gets that far ) that's where the story is. I think Whedon definately intends the series to get there at some point.

Originally posted by Captain Untouchable View Post
        I wouldn't be too worried about E1 being "required viewing" for Season 2. We already know that JW can spin a good continuation story, even under the assumption that no one knows anything. He could well wind up pulling a Serenity: provide you the information you need to know for the arc to make sense, but without labouring the point and boring the people who have seen that content.
        Yeah, Whedon'll make it work. He always does!

Blimey that was a good episode though! I love what he did with all the characters - Dewitt becoming a kiind of mother-protector figure, the actives having their original personalities back, Paul becoming Echo's handler, and Topher going nuts (although that was sad). And I must say it was nice to have an Eliza-light episode... All in all bloody amazing
        ~Thanks to Achaja for my lovely birthday presents!!~

Comment

Working...
        X