This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you miss Retro Stargate?

I mean stories like the original movie and the first few seasons, where SG1 was always exploring new worlds, as opposed to later SG1 and essentially all of SGA which were all dealing with the main bad guy or continuing previous stories established, and there were very very very few original adventure stories.

Do you miss retro stargate? The likes of 'Thor's Hammer', 'Fire and Water', 'The Nox', 'Learning Curve', 'Bane' etc. The Majority of early SG1 was made up of these episodes, the days when the technobabble wasn't what episodes relied on to wrap things up, but still had enough to keep the avergae sci-fi punter watching and loving it and these episodes were really what made the show popular and was vital to building up its following, and then the writers just dropped them like that?

This is one of the main reasons that Im really looking forward to SGU, as the destiny is moving constantly we should see plenty of new locations and aliens and lots of exploration and a more retro stargate..

What do you think? Do you miss retro Stargate?
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Yeah I did miss that and still do. They got too focused on making the bad guys even bigger and badder. Who knows, if they were out exploring and meeting new races maybe they could have stumbled upon some technology and allies to help 'em out.
    O'Neill: "Ah. Trees, trees and more trees! What a wonderfully green universe we live in, eh."

Season 3 Episode 8 - Demons

Comment

Absoloutey yes. My favorite season is season 3 and I almost love 1 and 2 just as much as that. I like all the other seasons and I really enjoy watching them on dvd. But with all the other seasons I will get bored with them after a short while and then just watch odd episodes. But with 1, 2 and 3 Iwill watch evey episode over and over again.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

yeah i miss it too, and have the same hopes for universe. But i think, since universe has a different approach, it won't be much like early stargate.
        I guess as we got more technology and pissed bigger and badder people off on more and more systems and even galaxies, the adventures just got grander and more focused. No time for the best team to go explore random planets.
        maybe what we need is a Stargate SG-2 (or any other number) series, which could pick up in the current time, or even give an alternate view on the early years (basically placing the action what, 15 years?, in the past). But yeah, universe might just do it too

i miss the old meeting different cultures formula

Comment

Absodefiposilutely YES. I prefer to pretend that the last two seasons of both shows didn't exist. Early SG-1 was very, very different from what it became in later seasons...
          || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

I miss it...
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

The problem is that SG-1 is the Flag Team. So if anyone is going to be invloved in fighting the "Big Baddies" its going to be them....

While the "One Off Planet Stories" are being played out by SG-2 to 2x (x = what ever number we are up to now.)
              WereWraith06

<<<I have watched you play with those who would play GOD<<<

A Random but Cool Quote:
              Spoiler:
              If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
              - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by WereWraith06 View Post
                The problem is that SG-1 is the Flag Team. So if anyone is going to be invloved in fighting the "Big Baddies" its going to be them....

While the "One Off Planet Stories" are being played out by SG-2 to 2x (x = what ever number we are up to now.)
                True.. but on the other side of the coin if anyone is qualified to explore a planet the best and deal with anything that comes up its gotta be SG1 right?

and since its fiction the writers should really have been just as concerned about keeping their fanbase pleased with the show as anything, to a certain extent anyway
                I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

I think in any sci-fi series you have to strike a balance between storyline episodes and stand alone episodes. If you have too many of the former the show winds up becoming too soap opera like, viewers don't get a respite, and the writers can't really explore topics with the requisite depth like good sci-fi can. However, too many of the later is also a problem because the show lacks a story line, has nothing to really hook in viewers, and shows can wind up being way too cerebral that focus less on entertaining the audience and more on making them think (I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, however, it can drive away many people).

All sci-fi TV has to find that balance between space opera and "hard" or "speculative" sci-fi. Going too far in either direction can easily damage the show. How well did SG-1 pull off this balance, well, I guess that's up to the viewer.

Comment

I totally miss the old stories of the team going through the gate encountering a problem from that planet then solving it. my favorite ep of all time is Upgrades and it really had nothing to do with anything with the Goa'uld until the end when they blew up a ship.
                    Classic storylines made the show classic.
                    That said i did love the later seasons too! the Ori storyline was fantastic
                    O'Neill- "Whose your daddy!!"
                    Sheppard- "Its the right thing to do Why? because it is!"
                    Sam-"You blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water...Next up parting the red sea"
                    Mckay-"Oh yes when its impossible you look to me"

Comment

Originally posted by Ress View Post
                      That said i did love the later seasons too! the Ori storyline was fantastic
                      Yes the Ori Stroyline was great.

I found in later seasons that a "Classic" Episode was out of place and seemed weird... Sorta like: Why are they doing this when the Ori are out there causing mayhem.
                      WereWraith06

<<<I have watched you play with those who would play GOD<<<

A Random but Cool Quote:
                      Spoiler:
                      If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
                      - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Yes, I do prefer the earlier seasons where SG-1 could go out to an unknown planet and not have it end up like Bad Guys.
                        sigpic

Comment

I wasn't a SG fan back then so I don't really miss them per se.

That said, having now watched the entire series, they do have a special charm to them. I loved the "there is so much more to the Universe" and the "we are so very small" feeling of episodes such as The Torment of Tantalus, The Fifth Race, Crystal Skull, Thor's Chariot, The Nox, and Maternal Instinct, while these days we mostly get episodes about us vs. them; none of them are very deep, and when they are deep, it's usually about issues that are depressing to think about to begin with (i.e. genocide). I hope that SGU, being set out in the Universe, will bring back that old feeling that there is so much out there to discover, about the Universe and about ourselves.

Oh, and the less said about "Bane", the better.

Comment

I enjoyed all of SG-1, including the Ori years. But I'm still nostalgic for SG-1's early years
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

for me its like a sine wave, all through the 10 years there are peaks and troughs, but over all TPTB had done and amazing job keeping it going for 10 years. I don't always agree with everything they've done. Overall its been a good ride, I even like the Ori years. I think season 9 was a great season. I guess what I am saying is I've enjoyed the whole show and don't really think much about "glory"days.

Comment

Working...
                              X